Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Theology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-05-2012, 09:31 PM   #16
Psychic theo-philosopher
 
athanatos's Avatar
 

Joined: May 2008
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 2,991
paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by athanatos View Post
....
Scott Crosby...
My pastor /\
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Logan View Post
I rarely listen to sermons except by my pastor.



Quote:
I have theological reservations about the modern evangelical obsession with listening to "superstar" preachers. It has less to do with the sermons and more to do with the elevation of preachers with whom we have no relationship.

Obviously, my collection of sermons by Spurgeon, Lloyd-Jones, Calvin, and the Early Church Fathers means I'd better not have a problem with reading/hearing other peoples' sermons. But in our particular time and place, I think we've done serious damage to the local church and serious damage to our own ability to hear and respect our "non-superstar" pastors by elevating the work of others.

So I love to read books on preaching, I took every masters level preaching course offered at Trinity, and I even recently started listening to Bryan Chapell's introductory preaching seminary course online (sort of like auditing the first course I ever took all over again). But I almost never listen to an online sermon.
I totally agree. We have an issue with ecclesiology. A hesitation to trust someone who isn't well known (like our church members), yet a yearning for celebrities to speak authoritatively where they have no right to speak.

I think we need to get a higher view of the local church/local presbytery/diocese/synod/convention/whatever... but that's going to be hard to instill.

__________________
my glob

They want to stop the ones who want
Prosthetic foreheads on their heads
But everybody wants prosthetic
Foreheads on their real heads

We Want a Rock, They Might Be Giants

Hidden?
athanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #17
I Found It!
 
ICallHimTurtle's Avatar
 

Joined: Mar 2003
Location: A tree. 'Cuz I'm a hippie.
Posts: 4,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Enough View Post
wat.

I am in Redding. How long ago did you go there? I know people on staff there, and used to attend when it was at Risen King.
Seriously? That's beyond nuts. I went at Risen King also, 2003-2004 -- were you around then? I never got to see the new location because I moved back to the Sacramento area. Another member of CGR goes to the plant down here that Daryl what's-his-name left and started, too... I think. I could be wrong, ha.
__________________
.



Muy Caliente, Mamasita! . . . Hey Carl, . . . FTW
"True believers and non-believers may question my devotion to either cause. But living an authentic life allows me to be a better person, a better spouse, and a better parent." - Stephanie Lauritzen


.
ICallHimTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2012, 11:23 PM   #18
Registered User
 

Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 6
John Mac Arthur
fishdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #19
The Story Teller
 
Caged Love's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Anywhere but the city
Posts: 755
William Lane Craig (Reasonable Faith)
Ravi Zacharias (Let My People Think)
__________________
"When you say there's too much evil in this world you assume there's good. When you assume there's good, you assume there's such a thing as a moral law on the basis of which to differentiate between good and evil. But if you assume a moral law, you must posit a moral Law Giver, but that's Who you're trying to disprove and not prove. Because if there's no moral Law Giver, there's no moral law. If there's no moral law, there's no good. If there's no good, there's no evil. What is your question?" — Ravi Zacharias
Caged Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 06:55 AM   #20
Wombatty
 
Vanguard17's Avatar
 

Joined: Mar 2012
Location: ?
Posts: 1,421
I enjoy Joseph Prince, Joyce Meyer, and Creflo dollar
__________________
Blessed beyond measure

Check out http://www.christianguitar.org/forum..."Red">l</font>[/size]
Vanguard17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #21
Deets Go Here
 
bravesfan007's Avatar
 

Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Right Behind You
Posts: 14,163
You can also add the Catalyst podcast of the Catalyst conferences as well as The City Church (Pastor Judah Smith) and Central Christian (Judd Wilhite) to my list of ones I listen to.
__________________
If you are offended by most posts, please do not feel alone. I am an equal opportunity offender. I will offend everyone.

Follow my ramblings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer.
Your mother appears to have been infected by Kentl.
bravesfan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #22
gypsy queen
 

Joined: Feb 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 4,954
Theological ones? Well, I listen to some Matt Chandler on occasion. I'm also getting into this one called Help and Hope, which is from the Christian Counseling Education Foundation in Philadelphia--good wisdom on dealing with counseling situations.

Other than that, though, I listen to sermons from the church where I go now and from the two churches I went to in college and grad school, places I still feel very connected to and have good, solid preaching from guys who are probably never going to be known outside of the people who went to those churches.
__________________
I occasionally show up to say hello. In the meantime, you can find me here, here, and here.
Amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2013, 05:27 PM   #23
Chur Bro
 
dogfood's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2004
Location: New Zealand, Fiji
Posts: 13,441
Send a message via MSN to dogfood
i listen to John Piper every now and then. Ray Comfort's early sermons crack me up.
__________________
dogfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 05:05 AM   #24
Chur Bro
 
dogfood's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2004
Location: New Zealand, Fiji
Posts: 13,441
Send a message via MSN to dogfood
Paul Washer
__________________
dogfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:19 AM   #25
The Story Teller
 
Caged Love's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Anywhere but the city
Posts: 755
Ravi Zacharias - Let My People Think

I don't always listen to podcasts, but when I do I prefer Razi
__________________
"When you say there's too much evil in this world you assume there's good. When you assume there's good, you assume there's such a thing as a moral law on the basis of which to differentiate between good and evil. But if you assume a moral law, you must posit a moral Law Giver, but that's Who you're trying to disprove and not prove. Because if there's no moral Law Giver, there's no moral law. If there's no moral law, there's no good. If there's no good, there's no evil. What is your question?" — Ravi Zacharias
Caged Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2013, 11:56 PM   #26
This Mortal Frame..
 
Demon_Hunter's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 9,373
Send a message via AIM to Demon_Hunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Love View Post
Ravi Zacharias - Let My People Think

I don't always listen to podcasts, but when I do I prefer Razi

Same. I rarely listen to podcasts or radio sermons, but Ravi Zacharias is one of the few Ill listen to. Alister Begg is another one. He has some nationalistic tendencies, but for the most part the teaching ive caught on the radio is pretty sound.
__________________
"Behold the Man upon a cross, my sin upon His shoulders. Ashamed I hear my mocking voice, call out among the scoffers" - How Deep the Fathers Love for Us


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
It's indisputable, though, that it has absolutely nothing to do with either copulation or defecation.
Demon_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #27
and you were wondering??
Administrator
 
Uptown Thrunk's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2004
Location: In the bedrock of Being.
Posts: 14,786
paid
I started listening to "Unbelievable?". One of the best podcasts I have ever listened to on theology and apologetics. Genuine actual dialogue occurs on this podcast between people of differing views. It is simply amazing.
__________________
Hello! Come visit my blog! http://taylormweaver.wordpress.com/

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Uptown Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #28
The Story Teller
 
Caged Love's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Anywhere but the city
Posts: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash View Post
I started listening to "Unbelievable?". One of the best podcasts I have ever listened to on theology and apologetics. Genuine actual dialogue occurs on this podcast between people of differing views. It is simply amazing.
100% agree with you on this. Great stuff.
__________________
"When you say there's too much evil in this world you assume there's good. When you assume there's good, you assume there's such a thing as a moral law on the basis of which to differentiate between good and evil. But if you assume a moral law, you must posit a moral Law Giver, but that's Who you're trying to disprove and not prove. Because if there's no moral Law Giver, there's no moral law. If there's no moral law, there's no good. If there's no good, there's no evil. What is your question?" — Ravi Zacharias
Caged Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2014, 07:10 AM   #29
Hipper Than Thou
Administrator
 
Leboman's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Geezerville
Posts: 56,211
Just started listening to Reasonable Faith and Unbelievable? today. I'm liking what I've heard so far.
__________________
Nothing (Without You)
Nothing (Without You) on YouTube
Granville Center Church of Christ Sermons
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2014, 12:47 PM   #30
and you were wondering??
Administrator
 
Uptown Thrunk's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2004
Location: In the bedrock of Being.
Posts: 14,786
paid
I had been keeping up with the Bad Christian podcast for a while. I need to get back into it.

I think RM would def like it. Pretty funny, definitely irreverent, and just plain goofy.

Plus, it is put on my two of the members from one of the best Christian post-hardcore/emo/rock bands: Emery.
__________________
Hello! Come visit my blog! http://taylormweaver.wordpress.com/

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Uptown Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:38 PM.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2