Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Bass
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #1

Bass playing hints

What exactly can I add in to spice up my Bass-playing, for example: the song "I'm Trading my Sorrows" I find my self repeating the notes G C Em D just like i'm playing guitar or something.. what exactly should I do to enhance my slappin of da bass?

3legninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
Jamming with the Lamb

The progression happens fairly quickly, which leaves little space for adding spice. You mix things up by how you play the notes when you have space.

During the normal verse, I tend to play straight quarter notes GG CC EE D. I let the last D ring so it doesn't break up the 'sorrows' or 'pain' or whatever word happens to be there. Then for sections where they staccato, I pop the strings. Or GG C EE D.

I am sure there are other ways to spruce it up, but the bass part shouldn't be too complicated. It is a good song with good music fundamentals for worship.

Lotsa different instruments
caeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 06:06 PM   #3

To add onto what Caeman posted, here is a walking variation in same key.

G-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D------------22-------------224----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A---23--2------5-----23-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E--3------------------3----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"With God all things are possible"-Matthew 19:26
waveofthinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 10:15 PM   #4

thanks for the reply guys, how exactly did you come up with that pattern wave? is there a way i could figure out how to create a pattern for other contemporary christian songs? (Chris Tomlin/ David Crowder Band for example)
Unread 05-18-2012, 11:47 PM   #5

When he is playing the B (A string 2) on the pick up to the C (A string 3) he is just doing a half step walk up to the next chord . On the last note of the tab (D string 4)the F# instead of playing a straight D from the D chord it is an inversion with the F# in the bass. It is a suggested chord on many lyric/chord sheets in lieu of a plain D chord, read D/F# "D slash F sharp" or D over F sharp".

You will have to crawl, walk and then run. It is a matter of learning simple theory and your ears to pick up on what does work and what sounds odd. Another way is to find more complex chord sheets or ask other musicians/teachers around you what and how they are doing
taiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2012, 03:29 PM   #6

ahhh alright, thank you taiko, does anyone know any websites where i can practice this 'simple theory'? :O or any other place where i can just practice my rhythms/skills in general? thanks!
Unread 05-22-2012, 09:38 PM   #7

Online Bass Lessons at StudyBass.com

General Instruction [BG] - TalkBass Forums
taiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #8

Another thing you'll want to start doing is tabbing out the basslines of songs you listen to.
"With God all things are possible"-Matthew 19:26
waveofthinking is offline   Reply With Quote