Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Theology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-20-2012, 10:41 PM   #31
Gone

Don't get discouraged!! BillSPreston and I are both Seminary graduates, and Thrash has a degree in religion and is in a theological graduate school, so we've had (literally) years where our job was Bible study, theology, etc.

On "sixth trump, sixth seal, sixth vial," one obstacle to this interpretation is that the Greek text does not say "666." It says "sixhundred sixty six" in most manuscripts. There are a few that use the Greek method of shortened number writing, but it's still not like our way of writing. In Greek, letters take on numerical value when abbreviating a number. We say "666" to mean "six hundred sixty-six," but in Greek, the equivalent would just mean "six, six, six," and would not mean "six hundred sixty-six." In the few manuscripts that abbreviate, then, the text says χξς, which you have to understand means (essentially) 600+60+6, because χ means 600, ξ means 60, and ς means 6.

Does that make sense? So it's very hard to imagine someone would see the number "sixhundred" or χ and think, "6 trumps," then see "sixty" or ξ and think, "six seals," because the number is six hundred, not a 6 in the hundreds place. There wasn't a "hundreds place" because they didn't use our digit system.

Give thanks to YHWH, for He is good!

Gone
Ted Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-20-2012, 10:59 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Logan View Post
Don't get discouraged!! BillSPreston and I are both Seminary graduates, and Thrash has a degree in religion and is in a theological graduate school, so we've had (literally) years where our job was Bible study, theology, etc.

On "sixth trump, sixth seal, sixth vial," one obstacle to this interpretation is that the Greek text does not say "666." It says "sixhundred sixty six" in most manuscripts. There are a few that use the Greek method of shortened number writing, but it's still not like our way of writing. In Greek, letters take on numerical value when abbreviating a number. We say "666" to mean "six hundred sixty-six," but in Greek, the equivalent would just mean "six, six, six," and would not mean "six hundred sixty-six." In the few manuscripts that abbreviate, then, the text says χξς, which you have to understand means (essentially) 600+60+6, because χ means 600, ξ means 60, and ς means 6.

Does that make sense? So it's very hard to imagine someone would see the number "sixhundred" or χ and think, "6 trumps," then see "sixty" or ξ and think, "six seals," because the number is six hundred, not a 6 in the hundreds place. There wasn't a "hundreds place" because they didn't use our digit system.
Well I guess I'm at the right place to learn then! I appreciate all of your patience, time, and discussion. I just have a thirst for knowledge right now. I'm reading alot of things and just hoping I develop the discernment skills to put it all into perspective.
And yes your post does make perfect sense, thanks.
3chords+TRUTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 01:52 PM   #33

The case for Revelation being written prior to A. D. 70 I find cogent as well. This topic came up on an earlier thread, but to reiterate, an early date is indicated by the fact that angels, who are the mediators of the Old Covenant (Galatians 3:19), are seen mediating judgment in the book of Revelation. By contrast, in the judgment at the end of the world, Christians will be the ones mediating judgment (1 Corinthians 6:2).

Another clue as to the time of the events prophesied in Revelation is found in the first verse of the book. The events were to take place 'shortly' from the perspective of John the apostle and the first recipients of the book. The end of the world was still a long way off yet.