Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Theory & Technique
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #1

Stupid question about melody and harmony

Stupid question: is there a way to play both the melody and the harmony parts of a song at the same time…on the some guitar… with a pick? I know different guitarist (namely classical guitarist) can do it finger picking, but is there a way to do it with a pick? The reason I’m asking is because I love to play the melody of songs (I guess I’m weird, lol), but I don’t play with a band or anything, so I don’t have any way to have a melody and the harmony together unless I do it on the some guitar. Is there any way to do this with a pick?:

stratplayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-15-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
It would depend on the song and how proficient you are at controlling where and how you pick, but it could be done.
Granted, fingerstyle or even hybrid finger/pick style would be the preferred method.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
Person

if the melody and harmony are on adjacent strings, it shouldn't be too hard. Especially if the harmony is consistently a third above the melody, which seems to be a popular way of harmonising. The trickiest thing there would be appropriately balancing the volume of each.

More complicated harmonies probably require more complicated picking styles. Or drastically retuning your guitar.
to_be_released is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 12:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
It would depend on the song and how proficient you are at controlling where and how you pick, but it could be done.
Granted, fingerstyle or even hybrid finger/pick style would be the preferred method.
Quote:
Originally Posted by to_be_released View Post
if the melody and harmony are on adjacent strings, it shouldn't be too hard. Especially if the harmony is consistently a third above the melody, which seems to be a popular way of harmonising. The trickiest thing there would be appropriately balancing the volume of each.

More complicated harmonies probably require more complicated picking styles. Or drastically retuning your guitar.
Both these will work.
But yeah--if you just want to sue a pick, and not finger or hybrid picking the second way would have to be the way to go.
I've played songs that way-some of which I arranged, some were arranged by others-so I know it can be done.
Unread 09-10-2012, 12:29 AM   #5

get the Boss Harmonist pedal would probably be the easiest (perhaps laziest) solution.
bittersweet_C#m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 08:20 AM   #6
Bears Football and Guitar

I've used this pedal before. It's a good concept, but in my personal opinion...it doesn't really do harmony justice. It just doesn't sound as good as two guitarists. This is just my opinion, other guitarists may feel different. I looked at this pedal to play Boston's Peace of Mind and Don't Look Back. I just couldn't get it to sound the way I wanted.