Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
is growing up

Send a message via AIM to SupaNova
Who wants to talk about synthesizers?

I must have been bitten by the synthesis bug recently because I've been pouring over all kinds of synthesizers lately. The main reason for making this thread is that I'm hoping some of you will kindly point me towards some weird and awesome gear I haven't stumbled across yet. I'm likely going to acquire a Korg Monotron over the weekend, sort of my stepping stone into the world of electronic music making. Assuming I enjoy fiddling with the gizmo, I'm sure there'll be more synths down the line.

I've also been researching the tron's big brother, Monotribe, which sounds pretty cool too, even if the drums are supposedly limited. Been checking out Dave Smith's MoPho today as well, which seems to have a ton of features....that are more or less useless without plugging it into another piece of gear. I've also recently discovered how freakin' cool Moogs sound, even if the starting price is the down payment on a small car.

I am definiately interested in quirkier sounding keyboards at the moment. Nothing against digital pianos- they certainly have their place. But I'm looking for gadgets that make weird noises that sound strangely melodic. No preference between digital and analog, although the latter seems a bit more intriguing.

And feel free to throw out any softsynth names if you'd like (and decent midi controllers to boot!). I'm more interested in exploring what all the world of hardware synths has to offer at the moment, but its nice to know what's going on in the world of VSTs too. There might even be something out there that beats Reason

Umm, I don't really want to set a price point. I probably won't be buying anything over $500, but hey, helping me pick out something new to buy really isn't the main point. Have you seen some really, really cool synthesis machine that costs more than your house? Post it!

Alright, I'm done blathering, let's get this thread rolling

hard times in Rockingham, hard times harder still...
SupaNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-07-2012, 09:28 AM   #2
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Definitely poke around here:
http://www.kvraudio.com/

Free softsynths are definitely a lot of fun.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
is growing up

Sweet, looks like a ton of resources on rolled up in one place. I'll be exploring it more throughly when I have the time.

By the by, are you more a mouse 'n' keyboard kind of guy or do you use an external controller to fiddle with your electronic music?

Unread 04-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
I use a simple 52 key keyboard controller sometimes, other times I just use the mouse. It depends on what sort of feel I'm going for.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 12:47 AM   #5

Analog synths are great, but they are so expensive. There is nothing like a Moog to fiddle with and get out landish sounds though. Right now I am just using an M-Audio Oxygen through Ableton Live and I just make any sound I want, quirky or simple.
David Gurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #6
is growing up

A lot of analog gear, especially the vintage instruments, go for high prices, but there's a lot of modern analog synths are beginning to hit the market, albeit a lot of them are modular. Heck, Moog even just released a relatively affordable bass synthesizer.

I got my monotron duo a couple weeks back, and I'm really enjoying all the alien, analog noises the little monosynth can make. Limited in scope, but its a lot of fun to twist the knobs and experiment with its audio signals. Think I'll be camping out in the land of synthesizers for a while.

Unread 04-17-2012, 08:17 PM   #7

I have had an itch to buy the Minitaur or something of that nature. I would really like to play with wave forms and such outside of a computer screen. Outside of my resources right now, but one day.
David Gurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 09:53 PM   #8
is growing up

I'd love to get my hands on a Minitaur as well. I plan on picking up a Monotribe for its analog drums and something like the Minitaur for some bass synthesis. I'm necessarily sold on it, but I haven't found a dedicated bass synth for cheaper that sounds nearly as good so far.

Unread 05-23-2012, 05:30 PM   #9

I'm fairly new to synths. But here is a list of things that have caught my attention.

Reason - Thor Synth, you can actually download the demo version and use it as a live synth for free! Just can't save any sequencing but you can create and save patches all you want.

Nord lead 1,2,3 - any of them, very strange but musical sounds as well as pads and typical stuff.

Omnisphere vst - not strange sounds but very high quality ones.
jamesricher is offline   Reply With Quote