Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Theory & Technique
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-14-2012, 01:25 PM   #1

Thumbs down Upgrading my chords

Well, I have been playing electric in my youth band for a while and now they want me playing in main service as rythym. only problem is i must admit ive only been play power 5 chords because for some reason they sound the best to me. When i recieve chord sheets i just play the fifth, so how can i sound more mature with my chords. I am also an experienced jazz guitarist at my school so i can play and know some of the more crazy chords. Any suggestions?

guitargeek759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #2
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
I have to say, I don't really understand the question...

I would just feel it out. If you know jazz chords, I would assume you know standard pop/rock chordings. If the sheet calls for a maj7 or a minor or just a major, play what's on the sheet. Sometimes the root/5th works just fine as well.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
I think one of the cool things you can do is understand what extensions you can do for each of the chords, by understanding what position the root is on the scale.

For example, let's look at all the triads in the key of C major.

C Dm Em F G Am Bdim (I'll leave out Bdim in the next steps, it's a bit... unnecessary)

Now (if you look at these chords on a keyboard, it shows why this make sense), let's extend those to the 7ths.

Cmaj7 Dm7 Em7 Fmaj7 G7 Am7

We can extend those out to the 9th, too.

Cmaj9 Dm9 Em7(b9) Fmaj9 G9 Am9

Take out the 7 for some tasty add9 chords.

Transpose it to any key you like.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 01:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
I have to say, I don't really understand the question...

I would just feel it out. If you know jazz chords, I would assume you know standard pop/rock chordings. If the sheet calls for a maj7 or a minor or just a major, play what's on the sheet. Sometimes the root/5th works just fine as well.
Well i dont want to play lame fifths, but i don't know what to do because the chords are either major, minor, or an ocasional 7th, anything else i play does not sound as good (meaning my full minors and majors) i also usually play from the 1-7 th fret range, if sticking with a certain position gives any more suggestins
guitargeek759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
Person

How much gain are you using? Distortion increases a lot of your higher order harmonics, and for some more complicated chords this can produce dissonant clashes between those higher order harmonics. There are plenty of very nice chords that I'd only play clean or slightly driven. At the other end of the spectrum, if I were using any serious amount of fuzz I'd either just do 5ths or even just single notes or octaves.
to_be_released is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #6

I think it also depends on what voicing you're using as well. For instance, a voicing of a cmaj7 chord with the B-C interval next to each other string wise will sound awful compared to one that has that same interval spread out over octaves
r3vo1ution1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 09:03 AM   #7

It also depends on what the purpose of the electric guitar is in the mix. If you are playing with a huge orchestra I would keep it very simple. Roots and fifths will be fine for the most part, but I would emphasize 3rds and suspensions when it is needed.

If you are in a three piece band then your approach is much different. You can still play simple but you will need to liven it up with effects, etc...
lutus is offline   Reply With Quote