Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-07-2012, 03:03 PM   #1

just got a banjo...

So i traded an old yamaha guitar i had for a 5 string banjo, but i really hve no idea how to incorporate it into music. So my questions are do you guys pick strum a combination? And are there any good websites you know about for chords? Or apps?

Any general advice would be nice...

tparrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
Semper ubi sub ubi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tparrish View Post

Any general advice would be nice...
Sell it and buy one of these:
6 STRING HYBRID BANJO BANJITAR W/HARDCASE FREE SETUP | eBay

Similar sound, plays like a guitar, your life becomes much simpler.

1/2
1/2-Fast Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #3

Haha i have heard of those before but im interested in actually learning how to play. Maybe if it doesnt work out with the banjo that would be a good fall back plan?
Unread 03-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
im baman

This is what I would suggest. Get this book...

Amazon.com: How To Play The 5-String Banjo (Music Sales America) (9781597731645): Pete Seeger: Books

Or just learn all the basic chords and noodle around with it until you come up with something you like.

6 string banjos are cool, but they really shouldn't be used to replace a 5 string banjo.

They should be played like this anyway...

Please Baby (Reverend Gary Davis, Ragtime Banjo Legend) - YouTube

Papa Charlie Jackson (Skoodle Um Skoo, 1934) Ragtime & Blues Banjo Legend - YouTube
Sean.thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
Person

I've been noodling around on a banjo for the last few months. The only specific banjo style I've tried to teach myself is clawhammer, which is reasonably simple. Searching youtube should find you some help there.

Other than that I've just fiddled with fingerpicking based on my experience with playing guitar in open G. If you've done anything in alternate tunings (especially open tunings) in guitar, then it's fairly easy to transfer those skills over.
to_be_released is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2012, 06:46 PM   #6
im baman

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_be_released
If you've done anything in alternate tunings (especially open tunings) in guitar, then it's fairly easy to transfer those skills over.
On a semi-related note: if you tune a guitar to open D (DADF#AD) you can play it like a banjo with two wonky drone strings. Learned that from Dom Flemmons (Carolina Chocolate Drops)

-Sent using CGR Forum Mobile!
Unread 03-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #7
Semper ubi sub ubi!

Wus.

Banjo Loco - The Trooper - YouTube

1/2
1/2-Fast Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #8

Ok so im gonna get that book on amazon. And i guess fingerpicking and clawhamer are the direction to go.

So do any of you guys ever use a banjo in worship? In like a needtobreathe, gungor kinda sound? Correct me if im wrong on this but both of those bands do alot of strumming as well as picking?
Unread 03-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #9
im baman

Quote:
Ok so im gonna get that book on amazon. And i guess fingerpicking and clawhamer are the direction to go.

So do any of you guys ever use a banjo in worship? In like a needtobreathe, gungor kinda sound? Correct me if im wrong on this but both of those bands do alot of strumming as well as picking?
I'd just say learn as much as you can. Pete goes over just about every style from clawhammer to strumming jazz/pop.

I pull mine out about once a month for worship, but it's one of my main instruments in my band. In church we usually use it in more of a traditional bluegrass style but that's just because my music minister is a big bluegrass head...
Unread 03-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #10
im baman

And because I'm trying to procrastinate on doing laundry, here's an assortment of youtube videos of different styles of banjo! Because watching people play is sometimes the best way to learn... Yeah... I'm not procrastinating! I'm Learning!

The Restoration-Henry's Letter from the Front - YouTube - A buddy's band. Good mixture of picking and strumming.

To Hear Your Banjo Play - 1947 - YouTube - Awesome little documentary.

Riley Baugus - Little Satchel - YouTube - This guy's just an encyclopedia of old timey banjo knowledge.

Dom Flemons "Your Baby Ain't Sweet Like Mine" - YouTube - This is the style of banjo I like the most. 4 string Plectrum style...

Gene Sheldon Classic Tenor Banjo on Jackie Gleason Show - YouTube - And Silly Tenor Banjo-ness
Unread 03-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #11

I appreciate it ill check out all those videos whwn i get off work tonight unfortunatly they arent a fan of procrastination...

Another question and this might be dumb but are there banjo tabs or do you just play with the same tabs as a guitar in the same key and chords and use the banjo to layer the sound in to what the guitar is playing?
Unread 03-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #12
im baman

Quote:
I appreciate it ill check out all those videos whwn i get off work tonight unfortunatly they arent a fan of procrastination...

Another question and this might be dumb but are there banjo tabs or do you just play with the same tabs as a guitar in the same key and chords and use the banjo to layer the sound in to what the guitar is playing?
There are banjo tabs out there, but the selection is limited (compared to the plethora of guitar tab/chord sites). If you canít find a banjo tab for a song youíre looking for just get the chords and learn some picking patterns/rolls.

For example:

Roll Patterns for Bluegrass Banjo - YouTube

Sorry, I'm just a youtube kind of guy...
Unread 03-08-2012, 05:18 PM   #13

Haha i love youtube and i honestly cant wait to go check out all these videos!!!
Unread 03-08-2012, 05:20 PM   #14
im baman

Yeah! It just makes learning things easier!
Unread 03-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #15

Nice, The banjo, combined with the ukulele are fun instruments to hear and play!
maleaco is offline   Reply With Quote