Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by maleaco
Nice, The banjo, combined with the ukulele are fun instruments to hear and play!
Ya i would love to learn the ukulele next...the other instrument i always wanted to play is the bagpipes lol i think it would add a unique sound to our worship services

tparrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-17-2012, 11:27 PM   #17
is growing up

Send a message via AIM to SupaNova
Congrats on the banjo purchase, you will enjoy it. Plucking those five strings is probably one of my favorite musical sounds I've heard in the world thus far. My recommendation would be to just listen to a bunch of banjo music, find a style you really like and then map out your practicing from there.

If you want to learn how to play bluegrass then Earl Scruggs is the first guy you'll want to check out, but there are tons of great players out there picking and/or strumming in all sorts of styles. Dom Flemons and Rhiannon Giddens of the Carolina Chocolate Drops are both excellent players and you should definiately check out some more Bela Fleck. Abigail Washburn is also worth a listen. Sean's already posted some ragtime stuff, and there's a lot more where that came from.

I also have to give a quick shout to the ukulele. I picked up the instrument last year and I absolutely love it. It's easy to learn, has a cheery sound and is infinitely more portable than a guitar or banjo is. There is also the banjolele to consider, but one step at a time here

hard times in Rockingham, hard times harder still...
SupaNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 06:54 AM   #18
im baman

I'll give a whoop whoop to that post!

Also, has anyone seen that "Give Me The Banjo" doc on PBS? It's a really good watch...

Video: PBS Arts from the Blue Ridge Mountains: Give Me the Banjo | Watch The Arts Online | PBS Video
Sean.thomson is offline   Reply With Quote