Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Worship Leading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-26-2012, 03:59 AM   #1
Person

A significant leading experience

The music during this morning's church service felt particularly significant today, so I thought I'd share some thoughts about it.

This morning was an opportunity for my fiancée and I to lead the sung worship. While we have both been involved in music at our church for quite some time (and it happens to be how we got to know each other), Chances for the two of us to lead have been somewhat rare, to date. Sadly, this is partially due to some politics within the church - nothing specifically against us, but more a hesitance to create the space in which we could lead a team, and perhaps also a hesitance to relinquish our contributions to the teams that we are currently part of. Our church has been going through a lot of changes over the last few years, so there has been a sense of clinging to what is seemingly stable within the music ministry.

However, in the lead up to this Sunday, the usual worship leader for my fiancée's team was away, which provided the opportunity for us to lead (she singing, me on guitar). The music went really well - the congregation was engaged and taking part, and it was the freest (to worship) I've managed to feel in the music ministry for a long time.

After the service, we got very good feedback, including from the normal worship leader for that music team, but also from the person who has driven the hesitance to let my fiancée and I head a team (who happens to be the worship leader for my usual team). We had a good discussion with him over lunch, and it now very much looks like we will get to head up a new team. I am now very excited about our involvement with the music ministry this year!

On a side note, this morning I opted to use my 70's Ibanez strat copy into the clean channel of my mesa F50. The only pedal I used was my tuner - I played clean the whole service, and it sounded glorious.

to_be_released is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-26-2012, 11:42 PM   #2

Cool.

We had one leader who kept forgetting to organize schedules, and sometimes put stuff together at the last moment, and people got left out.
That was a temporary situation, and long since rectified.

Glad you got the chance to do it together.
Unread 02-27-2012, 12:15 AM   #3

Time for matching tracksuits!
jimtherocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 03:44 AM   #4
Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtherocker View Post
As amusing as this would be, I think not. It's not like we have matching multicoloured handmade socks, like some other couples I know.
Unread 02-27-2012, 07:54 AM   #5
Hey ya'll, watch this!

Congratulations. It's difficult at times to try to rise above church politics and do the right thing. Your reward for doing so is usually the opportunity to serve.
jeepnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtherocker View Post

Gibson LP Classic Custom
Epi LP Custom
Epi LP Standard (custom)

Boss TU-2 > Dunlop Cry Baby > Loopmaster ABY > MXR Carbon Copy >

Orange Crush Pix CR35LDX
Orange AD30TC Combo
Orange AD30HTC Head
Orange Thunderverb50
Avatar Contemporary 412 V30s/G12Hs
Dark Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #7
Chur Bro

Send a message via MSN to dogfood
Quote:
Originally Posted by to_be_released View Post
As amusing as this would be, I think not. It's not like we have matching multicoloured handmade socks, like some other couples I know.
surely that was a link to a photo?
Unread 02-27-2012, 12:30 PM   #8
Hey ya'll, watch this!

Quote:
I have a friend who color coordinates with his fiancee. It is really funny to me. I guess I've just been married too long.
Unread 02-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #9
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnstein View Post
I have a friend who color coordinates with his fiancee. It is really funny to me. I guess I've just been married too long.
You know, I try never to say never, but that's just... Not likely to happen with me, haha. I just don't care enough. If I look decent, then I'm content .

Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!
DaGeek is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 02:30 PM   #10
Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnstein View Post
I think that for us, that only ever happens by accident.

On a more serious note, if anyone has any advice for starting to do regular worship leading, I'm all ears. I think we have a reasonable idea of what works and doesn't in our context, but it's entirely possible that there are some logistical things we haven't figured out yet.
Unread 02-27-2012, 11:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfood View Post
surely that was a link to a photo?
It wasn't, but here's one.

As for the leading experience, glad it went well!
Attached Thumbnails
photo_0017.jpg  
jimtherocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 07:28 AM   #12
Hey ya'll, watch this!

Quote:
I think that for us, that only ever happens by accident.

On a more serious note, if anyone has any advice for starting to do regular worship leading, I'm all ears. I think we have a reasonable idea of what works and doesn't in our context, but it's entirely possible that there are some logistical things we haven't figured out yet.
Of course you guys will have your own style and a catalog of music that works for you. Don't get into a rut. Listen to each other and anyone else you bring into the team. And whatever you do make sure your relationship doesn't spill over into your ministry. After a couple of years you should have turned over your current catalog by quite a bit. Mix up how you present it to the congregation as well. Don't be afraid to take little chances by adding an instrument, having a friend sit in with you, or adding some reading or commentary.

Don't be afraid to explore musically but do remember that your primary mission is to lead congregational singing and give glory to the Lord.
Unread 05-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #13
Person

Update: A mere 3 months later, and it's finally official. My fiancée and I are leading our own worship team. It's on the roster and everything!

Our first service for which we'll lead the music will be the 17th of June.
Unread 05-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #14
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
That's really exciting! Glad to hear that worked out! Looking forward to hearing how it goes . Only a few Sundays away!

Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!
DaGeek is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #15
Wombatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_be_released
Update: A mere 3 months later, and it's finally official. My fiancée and I are leading our own worship team. It's on the roster and everything!

Our first service for which we'll lead the music will be the 17th of June.
Yeah, let us know how it goes! Sounds fun! I pray it goes well.

Check out http://www.christianguitar.org/forum..."Red">l</font>[/size]
Vanguard17 is offline   Reply With Quote