Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-25-2012, 10:01 PM   #1

Just ordered Singing Success and Mastering Mix

Well, I thought it was about time... I've pretty good range and control... but I think I can do better. I've practiced to the Youtube vids a bunch and it's helped... but I wanna control my extreme mix voice. (Think Axl Rose/Dale Thompson range). I've got good vibrato up to a high C and my vibrato falls unless I really relax my head voice a lot. I've been writing some solo material and the music is coming out good, I just want to control my voice much better and consistently.

So, well see a few months from now if it really works.

LC7rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #2

Well a little update... I've had it for a week and already I've seen improvements. I normally struggle to get good consistent tone in my mix on high C's and C#'s, but just after a week I've already learned how to control my voice better. I'm hitting notes I've struggled to hit a month ago. I've finished about 80% of Singing Success (still got the style stuff to work on) and I'm about 45% through Mastering Mix. The exercises sound really goofy but they train you to recognize the muscle movements that you need to know for good singing and it's corrected some misconceptions I've had about how the voice works. Everything seems much easier than it was before.

Well, I'll post back after a few weeks seeing how I sound. My range has topped off about Ab above a male high C in full head voice. I'm still trying to even develop a slight whistle voice... Though after a week with this thing I sneaked in a female high C (octave above male high C) just today and I've really lightened up my normal mix, but I still have the control to be heavy when I want to. Hopefully this system will live up to it's promise of adding the full octave.

Unread 03-08-2012, 06:37 AM   #3
Semper ubi sub ubi!

Why not do the before/after thing? Post a recording of your voice now, then another one in a month.

1/2
1/2-Fast Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 09:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/2-Fast Player View Post
Why not do the before/after thing? Post a recording of your voice now, then another one in a month.
Sorry for the late reply... I have one recording from my wacky cover of the Grinch that I recorded back in November. It's not too terrible, but I now know what I did wrong and what was holding me back when I recorded that song. I remember straining and having a hard time singing "seasick crocodile" correctly without keeping the vowel pure.

Other than that I went through all of the cd's in Singing Success and Mastering Mix and my favorite workout of all is the Bridge System on Mastering Mix (CD 6). It helped me immensely!!! I always used to have a weird tremble in my mix voice around a male high C and it's pretty much helped me erase that weird quality to my voice.

I've had the program for about 18-19 days now and I gotta say it's helped out a lot. The closest thing I have to a new recording is some soundtrack stuff I did with ambient vocals on it (vocals were done this week), but I'll post some new vocal recordings sometime soon.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Grinch Vocal Sample.mp3 (1.13 MB, 614 views)
File Type: mp3 Ambient Sample.mp3 (452.2 KB, 210 views)

Unread 04-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
Ax
Rabid Wombat

I'm giving it a try. I'm borrowing it from a friend. Should it seem worth it, I'll eventually buy it. Though I've been sick this week so I haven't started it yet.

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #6

So, it's been a year since I ordered the program, and in 3 days I will have been using it for a year. It's amazing to think it's been that long, but I can tell a huge difference in my voice.

Pro and cons after using the program for a year

Pros

1. Control
I know a lot of vocal coaches (Ken Tamplin, Rob Lunte) bash SS & MM for being more in the Speech Level Singing camp, but the main strength of SS and especially MM is they teach you how to control each part of your voice, not just learn how to sing like some celebrity. You learn muscle coordinations for each part of the voice, not just how it should sound, but how it feels to sing correctly.

2. Versatility
They teach you not just a "correct" technical way of singing, but different colors of the voice in the same ranges so you can really be artistic. I can sing the same line, even in higher ranges, so many different ways now. I'm no longer restricted by a lack of ability. I can sing something a certain way because it fits the song best.

3. Knowledge
They teach you why you're doing the exercises. You basically get way more info than you would if you took a college class on singing. I can listen to other peoples singing and dissect how they sing because of the knowledge I've gained from using the program and my own struggles with my voice.

4. Self Diagnosis
The program teaches how to fix vocal issues on your own. You begin to think like a vocal coach, not just a singer. If I have days where my resonances are balanced, but I'm having trouble with my chords then I know what exercises to fix the issue. Or if I feel like I'm shouting notes, I'll back off for a few minutes, do light exercises, memorize the feel of correct singing and go back to it.

5. Melody
Because I can sing much easier now, I can be more creative with my melodies and not be restricted by bad vocal habits. Also, if you practice with this stuff all the time, your ear for melodies will improve. The "style" CD's from SS have really helped me find phrases and runs much easier. The vocal melodies I'm writing now, are way more complex and I don't struggle to hit them anymore.

Cons:

1. Don't slack off.
It's like an exercise program, if you only practice one day a month, don't expect results. You need to be using this either every couple days, or at least 2-3 times a week to keep yourself in top shape. It's kind of a given that you need to keep practicing.

2. You must give yourself time
Your vocal chords are muscles, you don't expect to start an exercise program and have six pack abs the next day. Don't wear yourself out, or push to hard or get frustrated if you have trouble. You need to give yourself several months before correct singing becomes your normal.

3. Be prepared to sound like a complete idiot while practicing.
You will make some ridiculous sounds. Accept that before hand and enjoy!

4. Some people will understand quicker than others...

Is it worth the price?!?
Yes, very much so. Most of us here are guitarists, it's nothing for us to shell out $200-300 for a piece of gear. You can replace a piece of gear, you can't replace your vocal chords if you damage them. This has been the best investment I've made in my music. Within the last year, I've had more people interested in my music because I could sing better now, not because my guitar tone sounded great because of some cool pedal or amp. Also, with the equivalent of time that you'd have in local vocal lessons, you'd spend just as much or more and probably not get as good of results. You're getting 22hrs of vocal lessons for $375... you're only paying $17 per hour compared to the $100-125 in an hour lesson with them in person. Local coaches in my area are going for $60 per hr. You're paying less for more. You can go back and do repeat lessons on something on the CD's if you don't get it the first time. You're getting the same stuff, you just have to put the pieces together and motivate yourself.

How is it compared to Ken Tamplin or Rob Lunte's stuff?
Brett'st stuff is more focused on versatility and control instead of raw gut power. I watched Ken Tamplin's version of Nessun Dorma... and he still sounded like a hair metal singer. I did a blind test with my music students when we went over vocal training on BM students or KT students and they liked the BM ones better. I respect Ken and love his youtube videos, but some of the stuff he says about Brett's technique is just bogus. Some of Brett's coaches and students have had convincing classical voice clips, then turned around and performed a pop or rock song just as convincingly, where as KT sounds like 80's KT even when trying to imitate Pavarotti or Adam Levine. I find that Brett's students just sound better than the other two guys. Rob Lunte's not bad, but he still encourages this weird annoying slightly high laryngeal position that personally just bugs me. I do give Rob Lunte credit on teaching the vocal distortion stuff.

Basically, if you're wanting to sing all styles, and sing them easily: go with SS & MM... if you want to sing purely 80's metal... maybe KT or RB, but you can figure out those styles if you use BM stuff just as easily.

So here's the stuff before I started using the program (November 2011)
http://www.christianguitar.org/forum...cal-sample.mp3

and here's my first solo project song (Feb 2013)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNdQRilI0Lg

It's still my voice, I still sound like myself, but much smoother, refined, controlled, and consistent. The difference is in not just in the tracks, but in the stuff you don't hear, the takes that were thrown away. It took way fewer takes to nail a part then before. I've improved on my pitch issues when recording, I notice my pitch WHILE I'm singing way more than before, and I can adjust without straining like crazy. I can hit notes while keeping the vowels pure, and I can now choose how I really want to sing a vowel instead of having to sing it the only way I could. In the Grinch track, I had to spread the vowel's on the words "vile" and "crocodile." I joking sang that song a few months ago during band practice and could sing the line the way I wanted in my head and improvise vocal runs using notes like a D above high C.

Anyway, with that said, I've only been using it for a year. I still have a lot to learn, and I'm excited about figuring out more about my voice. I'd like to take some one-on-one lessons with Brett's folks some time, but my friends have noticed the improvement in my voice. I'm actually confident in my singing voice now. I still find singing hard on some days and some days it's easier, but I know what to do on those days to get my voice through what I have to do to survive singing.

Last edited by LC7rock; 02-27-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Unread 02-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #7

Thanks for this review of it! A buddy of mine found it for cheap just last week and is waiting for it to come in the mail. I wanted to know how well it worked, and from what you say, it works very well! I might have to look into it down the road!!
Current Rig: Gretsch Electromatic/Deluxe Stratocaster -> Polytuner-> BBE Wah -> MXR Dyna Comp -> TS9DX Overdrive -> MXR Custom '78 Distrotion -> Boss DD-7 Delay -> Holy Grail Plus Reverb -> Fender Hot Rod Deville 410

Check out my Journal
r3vo1ution1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 10:55 PM   #8

I fixed the bad link in my previous post. CGR's attachment manager wasn't working so I just linked it to the Youtube video. (I forgot to mention... I'm also a photographer, so the video looks really nice as well). It should work now... and in case it doesn't here it is again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNdQRilI0Lg

Unread 02-26-2013, 11:22 PM   #9
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Awesome! Thanks for the substantive review. I could definitely tell the change between the two recordings.

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Uptown Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 08:48 AM   #10
Ax
Rabid Wombat

I never got around to trying this, and I have a week off so I'm going to try it this week likely if I can get over to my friend's house to try it. Honestly, I'd probably like Ken Tamplin better, as I am kind of into the metal sounding vocals, but I'll try this first before shelling out the 3 to 400 bucks for Ken Tamplin.

First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.

Public Blog

Unread 07-01-2013, 04:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ax View Post
I never got around to trying this, and I have a week off so I'm going to try it this week likely if I can get over to my friend's house to try it. Honestly, I'd probably like Ken Tamplin better, as I am kind of into the metal sounding vocals, but I'll try this first before shelling out the 3 to 400 bucks for Ken Tamplin.
Awesome. I didn't know KT's was that expensive, but it must be a lot of stuff. I've found that SS is more for beginners and Mastering Mix is for those who have at least up to a G above middle C, and want more range and control. The thing that I think really makes a difference is that you are sticking to a good vocal workout plan. Doing things that help you sing better and doing the work. And a lot of the good vocal coaches are really teaching almost the same stuff with different terminology. And they all like to argue terminology. I'd say go for it.

BTW another good vocal coach I've found online is Sophie Shear. She's got some really good stuff and its the same stuff that helped me out a bunch. She has a thing called the "Vocal Primer" for $68. It's probably not as in-depth as BM, KT, or RL's stuff, but she's got some good tips. Dave Brooks (of Singing Success and Brett Manning's Studios) has his own studio now too. He's got some awesome Youtube tips. Eric Arceneaux has some great tips too.

I'm considering getting Jesse Nemitz's Top 7 Secrets of the Super High Mix disc. It's on sale super cheap till the 5th of this month. I've been hitting high B's in my live show lately, so it's an area I cover a lot and it's always better to learn more about it for when some tough vocal days hit.

Unread 05-19-2014, 09:19 PM   #12
Ax
Rabid Wombat

I restarted this recently, I just got to week... 3 or 4? (Disc 5) and WOWZA can I tell a difference. I just took my voice a full octave higher than I've EVER taken it before. And I've paid top dollar to vocal instructors in the past. I still can't do tongue trills though. I do my best, but I can't make it through a full exercise.

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Unread 06-02-2014, 07:41 PM   #13
Ax
Rabid Wombat

I'm getting tongue trills quite well now... I'm on the Technique 4 disc and singing higher than I ever thought would be possible with my voice. And my bridges are disappearing. Seriously, I'm like a different singer altogether. I might not actually suck now! I still may do the KTVA after this just to get better with that hair metal voice. Need to get my Chris Cornell on.

Current Rig:

Public Blog