Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Bass
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-11-2012, 05:22 PM   #1

Bass tone what should I strive for

I'm looking at a esp/ltd bobinga top bass at my local music store/ also looking at a MIM j bass with active emg's....I've also been interested in a fretless....I only play bass when our bass player needs a break....what should I look for in a bass....what will give me that sweet tone no rattle just bass? any experience with esp?

jwbrownlula is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-11-2012, 05:28 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbrownlula
I'm looking at a esp/ltd bobinga top bass at my local music store/ also looking at a MIM j bass with active emg's....I've also been interested in a fretless....I only play bass when our bass player needs a break....what should I look for in a bass....what will give me that sweet tone no rattle just bass? any experience with esp?
Hard to say. I did do the MIM J w/EMGs setup for awhile and I really liked the high output, neutral tone of that bass.

I mean, if you're just filling in here and there, you'll probably be fine with whatever hits your pocketbook the least.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 05:37 PM   #3

He has it set up where you have to pull the pickguard to change the battery though.........which is just a little hickup, but...... I had a MIJ jazz bass I really liked the playability of...I just want that smooth bass tone....probably has a lot to do with amplification also....what can you tell me about short scale vs regular? a
Unread 02-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #4

Quote:
He has it set up where you have to pull the pickguard to change the battery though.........which is just a little hickup, but...... I had a MIJ jazz bass I really liked the playability of...I just want that smooth bass tone....probably has a lot to do with amplification also....what can you tell me about short scale vs regular? a
I think I replaced the battery on mine like once a a year, if even that.

I've exclusively played 34" scale basses. A friend of mine has a 30" (I think) scale bass and it sounds fine, but just feels weird to me. I think if I were primarily a guitarist, I might like it more, but I'm not.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 02-11-2012, 06:00 PM   #5
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
I think I replaced the battery on mine like once a a year, if even that.

I've exclusively played 34" scale basses. A friend of mine has a 30" (I think) scale bass and it sounds fine, but just feels weird to me. I think if I were primarily a guitarist, I might like it more, but I'm not.
I am primarily a guitar player and I would say a 34 inch scale feels more natural to me even though I have played a 30 inch quite a bit more because I have had one for over a decade. It feels different to me. It seems to me that it tends to have lower tension and feel a little loose to me. Since I got a 34 inch I haven't hardly touched the 30 to be honest.

Edit: This is just opinion and my personal preference. I would strongly recommend a good bit of time on both lengths if you are considering both. My guess is that you will have a fairly strong opinion on the matter.

My Life.

Last edited by BillSPrestonEsq; 02-11-2012 at 06:30 PM.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #6

Ok how would you describe tones of popular basses...such as a p or j bass....a bass with active pups.....set neck versus bolt on?
Unread 02-13-2012, 09:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Ok how would you describe tones of popular basses...such as a p or j bass....a bass with active pups.....set neck versus bolt on?
I would probably describe P as grittier than J, but with the J I can do a good P impression by rolling off the bridge pickup. I can't make a P get the smoothness of a J.

When I had EMGs in my J, I would've described them as high output with a fairly neutral tone.

Neck through vs. bolt is going to affect sustain, with neck through having more. That being said, with a string through body I've never felt like I needed more sustain.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 02-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #8

Thanks for the info....thinking I might go with the esp it has active pups, and a set neck....with bass cut/ treble cut so it should have a variety of tones...I'm thinking of getting a five string even though my bass playing is rudimentary at best.
Unread 02-17-2012, 09:00 PM   #9
all about da bass

I try to think of what a low piano note on a grand piano sounds like, and then add just a little grit and character to it. That's what I like my bass to sound like.