Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Bass
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-09-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
Pepsi Addict

DI Boxes

Is it possible to run my bass like this: bass > couple of pedals (probably just a tuner, nothing fancy) > DI box > and then right to the mixer board? It's probably a dumb question but I want to be sure before I go out and buy a DI box.

BaconRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconRocks
Is it possible to run my bass like this: bass > couple of pedals (probably just a tuner, nothing fancy) > DI box > and then right to the mixer board? It's probably a dumb question but I want to be sure before I go out and buy a DI box.
Yes, I ran this way for years.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
Pepsi Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve

Yes, I ran this way for years.
So then it's possible to build a mini pedalboard with a tuner and DI on it? I think it would be a good idea, because it would hopefully fit in my gig bag. I could just put that and a stand in the bag and I'd be set.
Unread 02-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Quote:

So then it's possible to build a mini pedalboard with a tuner and DI on it? I think it would be a good idea, because it would hopefully fit in my gig bag. I could just put that and a stand in the bag and I'd be set.
Yep, most certainly is. There are some SansAmp pedals that might be perfect for exactly this purpose.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #5
Pepsi Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer.

Yep, most certainly is. There are some SansAmp pedals that might be perfect for exactly this purpose.
Do you have a price range on those pedals? I might look into them if it could be cheaper then a mini pedalboard.
Unread 02-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #6
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
The Sansamp Bass Driver DI is about $200, I think. The VT Bass Deluxe is a bit more spendy. There are a bunch of different models to look at, though.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer.
The Sansamp Bass Driver DI is about $200, I think. The VT Bass Deluxe is a bit more spendy. There are a bunch of different models to look at, though.
This is a good point. The feasibility (in terms of tone) of running bass -> DI -> PA depends on the effects in between.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 02-09-2012, 07:14 PM   #8
Pepsi Addict

Quote:

This is a good point. The feasibility (in terms of tone) of running bass -> DI -> PA depends on the effects in between.
What effects would you suggest to get the best tone? I think I'll probably go the mini pedalboard route if I decide to do this, just because I'm a DIY kind of person.
Unread 02-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #9

Quote:

What effects would you suggest to get the best tone? I think I'll probably go the mini pedalboard route if I decide to do this, just because I'm a DIY kind of person.
The best bass tone...well that is subjective, but I'd say no effects. It really depends on what you're wanting to do, but the vast majority of the time I'm just running my EQ flat.

If I were trying to do what you're wanting to do, I'd probably look for something with some basic EQ options, like the Sansamp VT Bass or Bass Driver DI. There was a long time where I was basically just running a preamp (Crate Power Block) to get simple EQing.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 02-09-2012, 08:06 PM   #10
Pepsi Addict

Ok. I'll have to check those out. I'm actually not playing bass anywhere currently because I left my church worship team, but this seemed like a good idea for when I start again because I hate dragging around my amp.
Unread 02-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Ok. I'll have to check those out. I'm actually not playing bass anywhere currently because I left my church worship team, but this seemed like a good idea for when I start again because I hate dragging around my amp.
The ideal situation, and one I've been in for awhile, is being at a church that has the space to allow me to store gear on site.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 02-10-2012, 06:24 AM   #12
Pepsi Addict

Quote:

The ideal situation, and one I've been in for awhile, is being at a church that has the space to allow me to store gear on site.
The church I was at let me leave my amp
and bass there, but then I had nothing to practice with at home.
Unread 02-10-2012, 08:24 AM   #13
Hey ya'll, watch this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconRocks View Post
I use a Digitech signal processor straight to the sound board. It serves as my pre-amp, tuner, and pedal. It'll also do looping. Stage volume is a concern, as is having enough room. I really like the little thing. You can get into one of the more popular models from Digitech, Pod, or whoever for way less than the cost of a decent practice amp.
jeepnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2012, 11:41 PM   #14

If you have a really good natural sounding bass, the best DI's I've heard are the Avalon U5 (very clean), the Reddi (tubey box, great in the studio), and the Radial J48. As far as effects for getting a bit of an amp tone in front of that DI it's hard to beat the VT bass.
Burk48237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2012, 06:44 AM   #15
Semper ubi sub ubi!

Our bass player is using a PodXT into a direct box. I've never understood why manufacturers of multi-FX boxes don't include a balanced XLR output. It wouldn't add $5 to the cost of the pedal, and even if they raised the price $50 we'd still come out way ahead of buying an external DI box.

1/2
1/2-Fast Player is offline   Reply With Quote