Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #16
Person

From my brief listen, you're voice is definitely better than mine. While I don't lead often at this stage, I do get asked to occasionally, and the response has always been good when I have lead. As such, I don't think actual ability really enters into the equation of what is going on with you.

However, perhaps it's perceptions of ability that might be forming the problem. You've stated that you don't think the worship leaders voice is suited appropriately for contemporary music. Is this because his singing is of a different style, that he happens to think is better than your style? But even if that's what is behind the opinions, it seems to me to be a poor reason to suspend you from the music team.

From what you've said you've gone through, I think my personal response would be to find another church where your contributions will be valued. I really dislike when church politics get in the way of people serving where their heart is.

to_be_released is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #17

God has given us talents and gift to use to bring honor to Him. If there is no glory to Him and its about how you sound then stop leading worship. But if its about making a stairway to the throne room in which people can come and praise Him then stop keep leading.

If they remain quiet then the rocks and trees will cry out.(one of the gospels don't have my bible on me.)
remburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #18
Ax
Rabid Wombat

I gave it a listen just now. There were a few flat notes, but that could likely be a result of the conditions you listed earlier. I don't think you have a bad voice. But it needs work. That being said, I've heard MUCH worse leading worship and singing solos in churches. The breath support issue is there, and that's a hard lesson to teach over the internet. But is it so bad you should be kicked off a praise/worship team? Heck no!

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 11:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_be_released View Post
From my brief listen, you're voice is definitely better than mine. While I don't lead often at this stage, I do get asked to occasionally, and the response has always been good when I have lead. As such, I don't think actual ability really enters into the equation of what is going on with you.

However, perhaps it's perceptions of ability that might be forming the problem. You've stated that you don't think the worship leaders voice is suited appropriately for contemporary music. Is this because his singing is of a different style, that he happens to think is better than your style? But even if that's what is behind the opinions, it seems to me to be a poor reason to suspend you from the music team.

From what you've said you've gone through, I think my personal response would be to find another church where your contributions will be valued. I really dislike when church politics get in the way of people serving where their heart is.
My wife and I have talked about going to another church, but we are still very involved in various ministries at this church so it probably won't happen.

To be clear, I wasn't suspended. The music director did, however, cut us out of the loop in many ways. I posted before about his crazy ideas about monitor mixes, etc. I couldn't hear myself in the mix and he didn't want to make any accommodations. There were lots and lots of problems. I have problems with his behavior, especially as a minister in the church. I found him to be deceptive, passive-aggressive, bound by his own prejudices, and sneaky. Anyway, when he told my wife that he didn't want her singing solos anymore,we had had enough and we resigned our positions. Don't get me wrong. If I thought in any way that this person's abilities warranted me being relegated to the role of backup singer, I would've done it for the good of the team and the pursuit of the common goal of leading people in worship. I'm actually very shy by nature and don't like to be the center of attention...yet I keep getting put there.

My issues with this guy's vocals is that he sings like a lounge singer. His other favorite vocalist on the team sings like she's on a cruise ship. The style is literally mocked by the teens (the reason we have the contemporary music in the first place). It's also really hard to sing along with. If you constantly change the rhythm of the melody, people won't be able to follow you. Our goal is for almost all of the music to be participatory, not performance. They aren't meeting that goal.

Well, I heard the guy tonight and he's a little bit better now, but still not great.

--Aik.

- Winston Churchill

Last edited by Aiken; 02-13-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Aiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 10:42 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ax View Post
I gave it a listen just now. There were a few flat notes, but that could likely be a result of the conditions you listed earlier. I don't think you have a bad voice. But it needs work. That being said, I've heard MUCH worse leading worship and singing solos in churches. The breath support issue is there, and that's a hard lesson to teach over the internet. But is it so bad you should be kicked off a praise/worship team? Heck no!
See my other post. I wasn't really kicked off the team, just made to feel unwanted and shunned until I quit. I need to do a better recording and re-post. It's possible that I really do need a bit of work (doesn't everyone?) and I'd like to see where my weaknesses are when I'm at my "best."

--Aik

- Winston Churchill
Unread 02-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by remburt View Post
God has given us talents and gift to use to bring honor to Him. If there is no glory to Him and its about how you sound then stop leading worship. But if its about making a stairway to the throne room in which people can come and praise Him then stop keep leading.

If they remain quiet then the rocks and trees will cry out.(one of the gospels don't have my bible on me.)
Well, I think I agree with what you are saying, but don't kid yourself. It does matter how you sound. A displeasing vocal can jar people from their focus on God. A really good vocal can smooth the way for people to worship. The difference is the focus, though. If it's a really good vocal and the vocalist is mainly concerned with how good they sound and how much praise they can garner for themselves, then they need to stop and refocus on Him. Prayer and real devotion are necessary to truly lead others in worship.

--Aik

- Winston Churchill