Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Bass
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-18-2012, 08:35 AM   #16

B-E-A-D

I play a 4-string Thunderbird Pro in our worship group - I dropped the high "G" string on my bass and installed a low "B" string (after some small modifications) So, I have a 5-string bass - Kinda. I NEVER used the G anyway. I like it L-O-W.
You guys are right - the contemporary stuff doesn't much call for a low "D" or "B", but the old-timey stuff likes it...especially the LAST note - Let that "B, C or D" string ring out on the last note and you are the last man standing, musically speaking. The note thunders on all through the church and totally defines the end of the song.
I love playing bass
I love worshipping with music
I love my T-Bird

Mookev

Mookev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-16-2012, 08:44 AM   #17

In a conversation with Anthony Jackson, who pioneered the design and use of 6 string bass (Or as he call's it - Contrabass Guitar)...his intention was to match what was being played by the synth/piano/organ...and also play compositions on the bass that were written for those instruments. It also makes playing easier for some, as they can play in one position instead of shifting up and down the neck. Is it necessary? No. But it sure is great that we've got the choice!
Unread 05-16-2012, 08:48 AM   #18
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Wow... I had no idea that a six string bass even existed.

It seems like that would also allow more complex chords and quicker runs, if needed. Which, I guess, opens up the bass as a more diverse instrument, as you suggested.

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Uptown Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 09:28 AM   #19
Hipper Than Thou
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash View Post

It seems like that would also allow more complex chords and quicker runs, if needed. Which, I guess, opens up the bass as a more diverse instrument, as you suggested.

John Myung from Dream Theater plays one.
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #20
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash View Post
And seven strings too.

A d A s t r a P e r A l a s P o r c i
slap_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 10:08 AM   #21
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Stop stop! You're blowing my mind!

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Uptown Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 04:17 AM   #22

....don't forget the 8, 10, 12 string basses made here at Warwick! Now that will really boggle your mind! (They are 4, 5, and 6 with high strings like a 12 string guitar lol)
Unread 05-19-2012, 12:34 PM   #23

Unless your you consider bands like skillet to be worship music, a 4 string willbe fine

Most modern worship bands like hillsong or david crowder don't need the extra low B string
Jammin97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 06:54 PM   #24

It all depends on what you're playing.

I use a 4 string bass, and last Sunday I only used 2 of them. (Although I went up the neck to notes that are on the other strings.

Some days I use 3 strings, some days all 4
I guess a 5 string would allow for some lower notes, but the keyboards usually cover that--if we need it.
Unread 05-22-2012, 01:18 AM   #25

Keep in mind that more strings is not simply to have more notes. Being able to stay in one position and cover the same territory is not only efficient, but comfortable. And of course, its nice to have so many choices!
Unread 05-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #26
My name is really Zebulon

Send a message via AIM to Bassman1185 Send a message via Yahoo to Bassman1185
I thought I had already weighed in on this, but I haven't yet, so I will now.

First, a bit of background on my playing and gear. I've been playing bass for 13 years, most of that time actively in various worship bands and environments. I have played four, five and six string basses with and without frets. My current lineup for worship at my church includes an Ibanez SR506, a fretless six-string that I built from parts, and a fretted four-string acoustic bass guitar.

When I started, I had a four-string, as most beginners do. When I got a five-string, It was a whole new world for me. All of a sudden, I could hit those low Ds and Cs that I never could with the four string. When I found an old ash P-bass that I fell in love with, I sold the five-string and bought it. When I played it for the first time with the worship band at my church, I immediately felt liberated. I realized that I had previously been slacking off and just hammering away at those low Cs and Ds, and now that those weren't an option anymore, I was forced to move up the neck and play more melodious parts. Now, I recognize that there is a time and a place for pocket playing, but limiting my access to those low notes really forced me to think about what I was playing. It was a profound growth experience for me as a musician. When I got a six-string for the first time, I felt at home, because I had, at this point, learned the difference between when to play melodious chordal work and when to stick to the pocket.

All of that is to say no, a five-string is in no way necessary for worship playing, but it can be helpful, depending on your playing style and situation. There is really no right or wrong approach that fits across the board. You really have to study your own playing style and your own musical situation to determine if having those five extra notes are worth it for you.

Also, for what it's worth, even though I mainly play six-string basses, I stay within the normal four-string range 98% of the time. The real advantage of the extra strings is the additional fingering positions. With my four string ABG, I'm ALL over the neck, but with my sixes, my left hand stays fairly stationary.
Unread 05-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman1185 View Post
but it can be helpful, depending on your playing style and situation.
This is the main point--they're not for everybody or every situation...
But they will work for some people and situations.
Unread 06-11-2012, 10:21 AM   #28

5-Strings aren't neccessary. They give you more versatility but if you find them uncomfortable, no need for them
I would like one so I could get that low D.
iTzKPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #29
dave <><

Hey guys, I'm new to the group.

I started playing worship music on a 4 string in 2001. Since then I've gotten a fretless 5 string.

What I've found is that 4 string works best on some songs, and 5 string is good on others. (Especially those that need that solid, powerful boost you can get from the notes below the low E on the B string... Like they say, "The Spirit's in the bass" , and it REALLY comes through with the right low note at the right time from that big B string.

dave <><
dave <>< is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 08:54 AM   #30

I have always played a 5 string because most of my studio work is in the country genre. It is very much needed for country playing.

I would suggest you get a 5 string, not because it necessary but because it gives you an option that is not available on a 4 string. If you have a good house system you can get a strong final root note if a song is in B, C, or D.

Great when you need.
lutus is offline   Reply With Quote