Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Worship Leading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-06-2011, 09:45 AM   #1
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
I know that worship music gets a lot of flack for being repetitive and unsubstantial, but there is a lot of it out there, and at least some of it is, really, good stuff. And the old songs that have stood the test of time, even better!

What I want to see here is what you think is the best. Not just the "pretty good" or "I don't mind this one" or "I'll sing this one now and then". What are are your picks for what's your absolute favorites.

Old songs, new songs, hymns, modern, anything is fair game. Please give reasons why it's your favorite if you can!

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-06-2011, 10:16 AM   #2
Be happy

Be Thou My Vision - Expresses the idea that God is enough for us regardless of anything else. And admit it, everyone likes Irish music.

The Church's One Foundation - Basically a psalm for the church in the way that Laden With Guilt And Full Of Fears is a psalm for God's word (see below).

Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing - "Prone to wander" is an powerful and underexpressed thought in Christian music.

How Deep The Father's Love For Us - Expresses humility before God, repentance, and overwhelming thankfulness for God's grace. And it's in 5/4, although sadly they don't play it that way at my church.

Laden With Guilt And Full Of Fears - Praises God for his Word, something that since the psalms is not especially common.

Let Us Love and Sing and Wonder - Just a great song of praise.

My Deliverer - And every other song on Rich Mullins' Jesus Record.

Rock Of Ages (Benj's version) - Full reliance on God for salvation. And Benj's arrangement is just amazing.

When I Survey The Wondrous Cross (preferably without any additions) - Basically the same reasons as How Deep The Father's Love For Us, except the 5/4.

Sadly, my church sings precisely zero of these on a regular basis.
Unread 12-06-2011, 10:44 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to Joe F
Probably the most popular one in our church that could be called either a worship song or a hymn is "Thy Mercy My God".

Although we are smaller, less polished and certainly don't have nearly as an impressive platform, we do it as close to this arrangement as we can manage:

"Thy Mercy, My God" - Northland Church

We typically do it as a service closing song.
Joe F is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 12:43 PM   #4
not so bright

Hymns:
Before the Throne of God Above (Charitie Lees Smith) – The passion and imagery in this song.
Rock of Ages – (Reverend Augustus Montague Toplady) – It’s just beautiful.
The Love of God (Frederick Lehman) – The poetry is gorgeous.
Take the World but Give Me Jesus (Fanny Crosby) – Even though the resounding “Take the world but give me Jesus…” is kind of cliché, I love the unashamed proclaimation. Plus I love when people who have never been able to see sing about seeing things.

Modern:
I Want to Know You (Jesus Culture) – I love how simple it is. It allows for focus on God and NOT on flashy music.
With Everything (Hillsong) – (Daniel Bashta) – The energy and lyrics are equally inspiring.
I Need You More (Lindell Cooley) – It’s so personal. I feel like I’m REALLY singing to God when I sing it.

Some of my gear.
tenwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2011, 12:59 AM   #5

Off the top of my head-
-Jesus, What a Friend for Sinners--great words, wonderful melody (Hyfrydol--also used for Come, Thou long expected Jesus)
-O Sacred Head Now Wounded
-O The Deep, Deep Love of Jesus
-When I Survey the Wondrous Cross
-Blessed Assurance
-A Mighty Fortress is our God
-Be Thou My Vision
-Come O Come Emmanuel

Plus just about anything by John Newton, William Cowper and Augustus Toplady
Unread 12-20-2011, 08:29 AM   #6
Be happy

I'll add another one I really like that I don't think anyone else even knows:

The Lamb

Where I heard it: https://www.speedwood.com/store/inde...speed3&cat=cds

A YouTube video (done it a very different style from how I do it [faster and just acoustic guitar]): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYDXdR3Gce0

Chords here: http://www.christianguitar.org/csongplain/4748

Perhaps I will record it at some point so you can hear a more modern version.
Unread 12-20-2011, 11:02 AM   #7

I have one to add to bob's otherwise VERY good list...

It Is Well - powerful lyrics of reassurance and peace in his grace.

Gibson LP Classic Custom
Epi LP Custom
Epi LP Standard (custom)

Boss TU-2 > Dunlop Cry Baby > Loopmaster ABY > MXR Carbon Copy >

Orange Crush Pix CR35LDX
Orange AD30TC Combo
Orange AD30HTC Head
Orange Thunderverb50
Avatar Contemporary 412 V30s/G12Hs
Dark Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 01:29 PM   #8

[QUOTE=Rainer.;3701357]What I want to see here is what you think is the best. Not just the "pretty good" or "I don't mind this one" or "I'll sing this one now and then". What are are your picks for what's your absolute favorites./QUOTE]

"As the Deer " has been a constant insiration for me. It reminds me of how dependant I am to God.

As far as a favorites list goes I will refer to them for a while until I get new favorites. To me they get like a radio station overplay. Like "Achy Breaky Heart".
rocket955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 05:54 AM   #9

Most of my favorite hymns have already been listed, so I'll put down some of the "modern" worship songs that I think have stood the test of time and are the best.

-When I think about the Lord -I've heard this song done in a variety of styles and tempos and it is always awesome.

-You are Holy - This is the echo song when the (usually) men and women sing different parts during the chorus(or maybe it's the verse?). Great song, very unique, always gets me into worship.

-The Heart of Worship - Probably the most popular song listed sofar, but I think it is one of the best. Also has stood the test of time. Easy song to worship God with, especially when done slowly like it should be.

-How He Loves - I'm sure some churches have gotten burned out on this song, but in my area, nobody really knows it except as a radio song. I know it hasn't been around as long as some others listed, but I think that it is one of the best ever.
darfaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 09:11 AM   #10
on rye

Sovereign Grace Music is always putting out really solid stuff.

"All I Have Is Christ" is a fantastic song.
Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 03:23 PM   #11
Semper ubi sub ubi!

"Let the Church Rise" by Jonathan Stockstill has a special meaning for us. A few years ago our church sanctuary was destroyed by a fire. We spent almost a year rebuilding, and the first service in the restored sanctuary was a wonderful celebration for us. Our praise team did "Let the Church Rise" in that service as a special, and it was a serious "WOW" moment.

Let the church rise from the ashes
Let the church fall to her knees
Let us be light in the darkness
Let the church rise, let the church rise.

1/2
1/2-Fast Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 02:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
Sovereign Grace Music is always putting out really solid stuff.

"All I Have Is Christ" is a fantastic song.
We play that one, it allows me to stretch out on bass a bit.
Unread 01-14-2012, 09:52 AM   #13
Enginerd

For me, the list would probably include:
"Nothing Without You" (Bebo Norman)
"Forever Reign" (Hillsong)--the lyrics "You are good, when there's nothing good in me" just about make me want to cry...
"How Great is Our God"--Simple, but true
"Faithful" (Tomlin)--In a culture that seems to be favoring relative morals and infidelity in relationships, crying out "faithful and true is the name of the Lord" to my Father brings me to a place of refuge
"Faithful God" (Gateway Worship)--The whole song is amazing, but there's a line in the second verse that says: "I declare that every foe is subject to my faithful God" ...

And...I know it sounds campy, but I think the best worship songs are the ones that are done out of pure motives and in a spirit of praise and unity. I know for me personally, there have been songs that I've not been super keen on for one reason or another, but because the message of the song was appropriate for the time--and it was done out of true worship and not obligation or for the sake of show--God used that song to speak to me.

guitarman531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 06:27 AM   #14

Andrae Crouch's "Through It All" tells my life story.
I also love "Take My Life - I Am Yours"
Unread 01-15-2012, 02:14 PM   #15
now a spiced muffin.
Administrator

paid
i love hymns and choruses in general, and i am not picky about "traditional" or "modernized"--i am an equal-opportunity hymn-lover. my mom is from a very traditional, country-church background in the ozarks, and i grew up to her singing hymns in the kitchen in the morning and in my room at night.

that said, these are some of my favorites, old and new, though i know i'll forget some:

in the garden
victory in jesus
blessed assurance
nothing but the blood
it is well with my soul
just as i am (i am a billy graham kid, as my parents were before me. =))
christ the lord is ris'n today
great is thy faithfulness
how great thou art
how deep the father's love for us
this is my father's world
hymn (brooke fraser)
rescue (desperation band)
the stand (hillsong united)
10,000 reasons (matt redman - i love the chorus)
praise the lord, o my soul (not sure who wrote it)

there are many, many more, but these are the ones i hum around my apartment and find myself playing most on my guitar, or that immediately bring me to tears...good thing the first few aren't on rotation at my current church or i'd never be able to play.

dumb statement du jour: a stadium's like a big building, right?

let me entertain you!
beanbag is offline   Reply With Quote