Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Bass
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #16
My name is really Zebulon

Send a message via AIM to Bassman1185 Send a message via Yahoo to Bassman1185
I play six-strings almost exclusively as of late, and my go-to strings are DR Hi-Beams, if I can find them. I'll settle for D'Addarios as long as they're steel. I'm not a fan of nickel D'Addarios at all. I just got a new six-string that came with half-dead D'Addario nickels that I'm desperate to get off.

Back when I was playing out in my hardcore bands, I would mainly play heavy (.115-.055) GHS Boomers because I was playing in drop C (CGCF), so I needed the heaviest strings I could find. Shortly before my last band dissolved, though, I decided to splurge and get a custom set of D'Addario Pro Steels from their site, which was one of the best decisions I have ever made, bass-wise. I got a set in .120, .090, .070, .050 and they were absolutely the best feeling set of strings I ever used for tuning down. I HIGHLY recommend a custom set like that if you're playing in any drop-tuned bands. Normal heavy sets are still floppy and undefined in the low range, but that .120 string punched and sustained the way a bass string should.

Unread 06-30-2012, 10:48 AM   #17

Anybody try the Ernie ball cobalt bass strings? The output is at least 10 percent louder and a bit brighter overall. Nice strings especially if you're playing in an acoustically challenged venue and need that additional cut to your baselines.
Ahuimanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 05:26 AM   #18

Just put EB cobalts on my partscaster. That's my new #1 string. Was using EB Super Slinkys.
etechstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2012, 09:24 PM   #19
Groove On

I'm using DR coated Silver Stars on my Lakland, and D'Addario tapes on my Fender P and my acoustic.

I've gone through a lot of strings lately but I think I've settled down to these for now...
Unread 09-16-2012, 06:15 PM   #20

My favorite rounds are DR Sunbeams, for flats I use Chromes and on the PJ bass I play at church I use D'Addarrio tapes. After going through too many sets of strings, these are what work best for the basses I have. YMMV....
cm3ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 06:17 AM   #21

I Usually use D'Addario nickel round wound10.5s to 12s.
rokstark45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #22
by hope we steer

Old thread is old. That said, it needs more pictures.

Fender Musicmaster:

Gretsch G5120:

Guild G37:
Almost Enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 11:34 PM   #23

Elixier, great strings that will last!
traz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 10:48 PM   #24
heeeey brother

99.9999% of the time I'm using D'Addario Chromes.
Most people think of flats as dull and lifeless until they actually play or hear them. They sound great right out of the box and don't have that "pingy" sound I hate, then after a month or so they mellow a bit more to a spot where I really love it, and then they hold that for years and years.

If I'm going rounds I like DR MR-45s or D'Addario pro steels. I like them on my short scale, where flats can get muddy.
Unread 08-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #25
My name is really Zebulon

Send a message via AIM to Bassman1185 Send a message via Yahoo to Bassman1185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micahb View Post
99.9999% of the time I'm using D'Addario Chromes.
Most people think of flats as dull and lifeless until they actually play or hear them. They sound great right out of the box and don't have that "pingy" sound I hate, then after a month or so they mellow a bit more to a spot where I really love it, and then they hold that for years and years.

If I'm going rounds I like DR MR-45s or D'Addario pro steels. I like them on my short scale, where flats can get muddy.
Chromes are pretty bright for flats. I've tried a few sets of flats from different makers, and there is a huge range of tones that you can get from them. Some are almost as bright as roundwound strings, and some (like LaBella) are so dark and "thunk-y" that they sound darn close to uprights.