Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-01-2012, 12:53 AM   #46

Primarily I have been using an Ibanez AF95 (Full hollowbody electric) when I play guitar and an older MIJ EB-3 copy when I play bass--this is the SG shaped bass with two pickups. There are Epiphone versions now--and they are called SG basses. I like both of them, and enjoy playing them

I have also used other guitars, but those two are the ones I like using the best.
As we are in rented facilities, it is easier to go through the PA as opposed to using amps--I do however bring a small practice amp & use it as a personal monitor to supplement the other monitors we have.

If I am not playing at a service and playing Christian rock or blues or whatever I would mostly be using a solidbody electric with humbuckers--such as my Iceman or my Les Paul.

Unread 04-21-2012, 03:03 AM   #47

forumrunner_20120421_095958.png

Guitar,lead,amp. Being the only musician at the moment this works fine. When playing lead in a band I add in a digitech bad monkey.
kentlevite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 05:49 PM   #48

I use an Am Std Strat, G&L ASAT Classic semi-hollow, USA 52RI Telecaster thru a Fender Super-Sonic 22. All good. The amp's gain channel is great, so I sort of semi-retired my ol' Fulltone Fulldrive 2. Only other pedal is a TC Electronic Nova delay. Pic in the Official Gear thread.

Les Paul's comment on the SG when introduced in 1961, "A guy could kill himself on those horns."

tagsdm
tagsdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate4jc
I play a fender Strat to a pod x3 live straight to the board. Great sound, no issues with amps, and no stage volume. While the Pods take some tweaking to find what's best for the sound you're going for, they are amazing.
I have same exact rig and agree with u 111%! Its really imho the best kinda set up for church
G-A-Nator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq

my NIV adds significant hum to my signal chain
Thats why i use king james version if i want a more vintage tone and i use message for a more contemporary sound. If u read them enough they wont add too much buzz
Unread 04-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #51

I prefer the meaty midrange I get with the revised standard... reminds me of my Oranges...

Gibson LP Classic Custom
Epi LP Custom
Epi LP Standard (custom)

Boss TU-2 > Dunlop Cry Baby > Loopmaster ABY > MXR Carbon Copy >

Orange Crush Pix CR35LDX
Orange AD30TC Combo
Orange AD30HTC Head
Orange Thunderverb50
Avatar Contemporary 412 V30s/G12Hs
Dark Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 02:55 PM   #52

Well ive started to really dig my esv. Its on my board right now it just makes my guitar sing like a bird
Unread 04-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #53

Epi Red Sparkle Les Paul or Epi Dot Deluxe -> Slash Signature Crybaby Wah -> Blackstar HT Dual -> Modtone Analogue Delay -> Lil' Rock Revenge 5 Head -> Modded Crate 4x12 -> Sennheiser e609 -> Soundboard.

On Sundays the cab is turned backwards at the wall and is cranked to about half. The head is really not 5 watts, it's more like 25 in class A (6L6 tubes instead of 6V6). On Wednesdays it's in a different room for the youth group and isn't mic'ed up and the cab is direct at the audience and cranked pretty loud. For the main Wednesday service I use a 77' Fender Champ with the Blackstar to just get a good dry, drive tone.

The main rig really rocks.. The Revenge head gives me just enough volume to get over the drummer and clearly represents the Blackstar pedal and the band loves the tone that I get from it.

LC7rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2012, 11:14 PM   #54

Acoustic
Martin D16 with Fishman electronics if the songs are quiet/soft through a DI into house
Epiphone SST Chet Atkins Studio through a Line 6 Pod XT through a DI into house - with some chorus on XT it really drives the acoustic sound amongst the band
Only bring one acoustic and Chet Atkins is the regular and for $180 it's the best value by far of all my guitars.....

Electric
American strat maple fret board dimarzio area 59 and 61 pups through pedal board Hot Rod deluxe sm 59 at axis
Gibson ES-335 through same
PRS Custom 24 through same
Tele maple neck with noiseless pups through same....newest to my stable and not sure when I will include it...

Pedal board TU2 Tuner, Homebrew Ultimate Fuzz Octave, Keeley Compressor(4 knob)...Big Shot True Bypass loop in Loop 1 Vox Wah, MXR Phase 90,Boss Chorus CH1, Boss Delay DD3, in Loop 2 of Big shot, Ernie Ball Jr Volume,......out of rotation on pedal board: modded Ibanez TS9, Boss Reverb, Boss Turbo Dist DS2

Only use one electric each night....depending on need and style.

UPDATE
Replaced maple neck/fretboard on telecaster with rosewood Warmoth neck for under 180. Unfortunately had to invest another 35 to purchase a Wilkinson compensating bridge as the neck real estate was narrower than original neck with the six saddle bridge. Now all is good.

Last edited by rcfromaz; 11-20-2012 at 11:10 PM.
rcfromaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #55

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkcoat View Post
What kinda gear are you using for your worship? I'm Talking Guitars, Amps, Pedal Rigs. Have you been Getting ideas from popular Christian Artist? Post any pictures of your rig, or post your favorite pedals! Also post any Youtube clips of Christian artist performances that highlight great sounding guitar rigs!
For church, everyone else, including (electronic) drums, goes straight to the PA. I don't like relying on the church's monitors (in addition to not being floor monitors that are anywhere near us, the overall music director has in the past had a very bad habit of unilaterally deciding to "turn us down" in the midst of a service or even in the midst of a song), so when we're doing our usual Sunday morning thing up in the choir loft, I use my little Fender Super Champ XD as a stage monitor (set up on a stand), lined out to the PA. Here's a pic of me hiding during a choir number at my exceedingly cramped "work station" in the choir loft, with the SC XD on the stand to the left:

When the praise band ("First Things First") plays outdoors, or otherwise with live drums, I use the SC XD as a stage monitor and then line it out to a bigger tube rig (such as my vintage '60's Sunn 200S head into a 2x12) in the backline, and then mic the bigger rig to PA if needed. Here's a shot of that at a First Things First concert performance, SC XD to the left, Sunn rig behind me to the right):

In other sitches where the SC XD alone is not enough, but when I don't feel like dragging out a second tube+head rig, a simpler solution is the Fender atop a 1x12 Mosvalve 80W combo in a little "quarter-stack." The Mosvalve is too noisy for mic'd situations (it has a fan in it) but is fine for practices or other un-mic'd sitches, like seen below at an outdoor church BBQ with First Things First (between me and the girl singer):

Unread 05-27-2012, 02:18 AM   #56

I use up to 7 guitars. I usually switch off every week.

Guitars:
Tele
Les Paul
Gretsch Electromatic
PRS SE245
Yamaha Acoustic
Takamine Acoustic
Morgan Monroe Acoustic

Amp:
Orange 35

Pedals:
Suhr Shiba Drive
Suhr Riot
Boss DS-1 Distortion
DOD Ice Box Stereo Chorus
BBE Soul Vibe
Keeley 2-Knob Comp
Road Rage 6 Loop Switcher
EB Volume Jr.
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Fuzz
Strymon BlueSky
LocoBox Rotophase
Boss RE-20 Space Echo
TC Electronic Nova Delay

Pedalboard:
30x18 Trailer Trash Board (red)
rragasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 04:08 AM   #57

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rragasa View Post

Guitars:
Tele
Les Paul
Gretsch Electromatic
These first 3 aren't very specific. What type or model of each?

Also, pics of any would be good.
Unread 05-30-2012, 01:04 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by rragasa View Post

Guitars:
Tele
Les Paul
Gretsch Electromatic
PRS SE245
Yamaha Acoustic
Takamine Acoustic
Morgan Monroe Acoustic

Amp:
Orange 35

Pedals:
Suhr Shiba Drive
Suhr Riot
Boss DS-1 Distortion
DOD Ice Box Stereo Chorus
BBE Soul Vibe
Keeley 2-Knob Comp
Road Rage 6 Loop Switcher
EB Volume Jr.
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Fuzz
Strymon BlueSky
LocoBox Rotophase
Boss RE-20 Space Echo
TC Electronic Nova Delay

Pedalboard:
30x18 Trailer Trash Board (red)
good to see another Orange on the forum...

the cleans on the crush 35 are actually VERY nice... and it seems to take pedals well.

Gibson LP Classic Custom
Epi LP Custom
Epi LP Standard (custom)

Boss TU-2 > Dunlop Cry Baby > Loopmaster ABY > MXR Carbon Copy >

Orange Crush Pix CR35LDX
Orange AD30TC Combo
Orange AD30HTC Head
Orange Thunderverb50
Avatar Contemporary 412 V30s/G12Hs
Dark Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 08:31 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-A-Nator View Post
Thats why i use king james version if i want a more vintage tone and i use message for a more contemporary sound. If u read them enough they wont add too much buzz
I break out my Gutenberg when I get into a gothic mood

I'll be the first to admit to being a drop tuner. Anywhere from DGCFAD to BEADF#B. I think of it as capo-ing down. It gives me a greater tonal range that I can cover. Thicker heavier, more impactful rhythms since I'm a big believer in the power of the fifth. Leads are leads and often easier to play in such tunings. Ever had a worship leader make a last minute key change and you just ran out of neck? Yeah...

As far as gear...
Guitars: Gibson LP w/P90, ESP Viper w/EMG 81/85 - X2 one white and one a blueish green flame maple, ESP DV8 w/Dave Mustaine LiveWires, Dean VMNT Angel Of Death, Dean VMNT Rust In Peace, Epiphone Tony Iommi SG (Yes, I'm going to hell for owning this and using it at church... It even has cross inlays!!!) and I have a few basses and other guitars.

I realized I probably have more guitars than I can use, but I try to get a healthy rotation out of them. Like I said I make use of different tuning options so they all have their purpose

Amps/Pedals: My workhorse is a humble POD X3 Live... It was good enough for Brewster for awhile right? if I don't have a board to plug into I'll use my Peavy 6505 on a clean channel unless I can get away with using the nasty channel. Pedals, MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive, MXR Zakk Wylde Chorus, MXR Smartgate, Crybaby, Tuner. I've got delays on my list of things to acquire.
Strongarm6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2012, 12:13 PM   #60

I use a Roland GR20 guitar synth. It helps spice up a bland guitar with a lot of good options to fill in gaps from absentee instruments. Not all the effects are great, but I use one of the synthesizer voices all the time.
Mike Eddings is offline   Reply With Quote