Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Worship Leading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-05-2011, 02:49 PM   #1

Question Nervousness in CR worship

Well, I'll start with my introduction. I've been using the tab site off and on for a while, but have started doing worship at my church's Celebrate Recovery. I find it a hassle, and not worshiping God as I should. There's been several problems with me doing the worship, and am wondering if I'm supposed to lead worship or not.
The first problem is I get really really nervous before we start the worship. I've brought this to the CR leader, and I've also asked God to deal with it. It doesn't help when we have the meal and the service in the same room. So, I'm having to get all the stuff set up (guitar, speakers, PA, cords, microphones, song list) all by myself. This is the same room that we host a community meal every wendseday, and worship service for the kids, and young adult/college group on wendsday nights. So, having everything left alone is not really something I can prevent, and don't let it bring me down too much.
Also, I'm not that great at singing, and I know the verse in the Bible that talks about making a joyful noise to the Lord, and people say it doesn't matter, but it matters to me. It doesn't help when I can hear everyone singing over me. I've voiced my opinion to the CR leader about this by asking if we could meet in the sanctuary, where everyone worships at normal services. He said that this would pose a problem because people would bring their drinks and food into the service, which isn't supposed to be there in the first place. He also stated we don't have the numbers for having it in the sanctuary, and people would get distracted. The church this is in isn't a stadium type building, so I don't see how this is going to affect it.

So, to help with sinning, the leader asked someone to help me sing, but I have to call her, or she doesn't show up, and she doesn't know the songs. I know she could take the lyrics home with her, and learn them off of youtube. I even made a cd with most of the songs on it that we do in church, but she didn't come. I'm at the point where I'm about to tell her off, but I know that's not the way to handle things.

Another rant I have is that the fellowship hall has really bad accoustics. It's a small room, but they put carpet down at least. I feel like I'm fighting with the mic and my guitar the whole time.

If anyone has some tips or something that worked for them, I'd appreciate it.

gracioushelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
Hey ya'll, watch this!

Been there myself. I can't help you with the singing part because I'm horrible.

Make it a point to get to the church an hour or so before everyone else and get the PA ready. You shouldn't be dealing with any gear when people are there having fellowship. Yeah, I know that's a burden on you but it's part of the burden of leadership. It'll pay benefits. Ask for help from someone if you can. Be sure to sneak off after the PA is up and take some time for prayer. Clear your mind and your heart before taking the stage.

If you're irritable or nervous before starting then think about what's getting you that way. I know for me it's easier to get my gear ready before anyone shows up.

If you ask another musician to help you three times and they don't show then write them off and move on. It's not worth the hassle.
jeepnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #3

Well I too lead worship and feel like this all the time.but this should not be a barrier for you bro as God is in control..the devil will try all his tricks to get you off to what God wants to achieve there.I fully agree with jeepnstein and his feedback is really appreciated
sdcrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2011, 04:18 PM   #4

Sorry about not posting back sooner. I've been pretty busy with my math class and life. Thanks to both of you. I've come to the realization that I might not be able to do both things at once...singing and playing guitar. It's realy easy to do if people keep up and I don't get nervous. But such is life right?

One thing I know that God is working on me right now is true worship and not sacrifice. Matthew's gospel says that Christ wants mercy, not sacrifices. Amos 5 also says the same thing, but more in depth. So, I shouldn't make this a burden to do. Getting to church an hour early helps a lot, but I still struggle, which is life.
Unread 11-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #5

gracious helper

it is ok for not getting back soon..we all get busy with work family children etc..do not give up
as another bro who leads worship with me quoted when i was very down and wanted to take a break..his words were ":in god's kingdom there are no breaks(brakes like in cars) only accelerators!! how true,when god did not give up on us why should we?yes we have to check our lives and walk holy..its not easy when we do not read the word and have fellowship but jesus himself says":if we confess our sins he is faithful to cleanse us from all unrightousness. walk tall bro.jesus loves us all
sdcrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 09:57 AM   #6
Hey ya'll, watch this!

GH,

I thought about you yesterday. We didn't have rehearsal before our Sunday service this week. Our worship leader is comfortable pulling this stunt lately because we usually just grunt our way through it. Not this week. He was incorporating a piano player into the mix and she is notorious for not being able to play with others. Oh, and he wanted to do all hymns so she whipped out the hymnal in all it's music theory shock and awe and insisted on playing out of it. Our CCLI Song Select subscription had expired because somebody forgot to pay the bill so printing lead sheets was not an option. Dear Worship Leader just told us to get capos into action, then told the piano player to use the piano's transpose feature to get us into G. What ensued was the biggest train wreck since the Old 97. Oh, and he printed out lyrics for the singers off the internet. They didn't match the hymnals. Nobody knew it until it was exceedingly too late.

So while our younger player sat there in the service in kind of a state of shock, our lead player and I just sat there and sang with our guitars in our laps. We're both horrible singers but that's all we had to offer.

I knew it was going to be bad going in. And normally I would let it really bring me down. This time while everyone else was going about like their heads were on fire trying to fix what couldn't be fixed I just sat down and prayed. And you know what? It helped. I approached God that morning full of remorse for the mess I had a hand in but still bringing what I could. More prayer, less complaining, that's going to be my theme for 2012.
Unread 11-14-2011, 09:10 PM   #7
Doot doot!!

I have been waiting for some time to reply. Yay. Time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracioushelper View Post
Well, I'll start with my introduction. I've been using the tab site off and on for a while, but have started doing worship at my church's Celebrate Recovery. I find it a hassle, and not worshiping God as I should. There's been several problems with me doing the worship, and am wondering if I'm supposed to lead worship or not.
The first problem is I get really really nervous before we start the worship. I've brought this to the CR leader, and I've also asked God to deal with it.
I have been singing on stage and playing guitar for many years now and the nerves have never really settled. Some weeks I feel a sense of dread for a couple of days beforehand, and sometimes it's as little as a few butterflies fluttering in my stomach. When I get the bad dread-type, I try and do some extra practice. Even if they're songs I know completely, I'll play and worship at home with them and I feel more comfortable about leading on the Sunday.
But ultimately, I just do it with the nerves, usually with an prayer of 'You know how much I need Your help this morning, God. Help me. And help me to really worship you and get past my nerves.' And my focus becomes worshipping God myself, because if I'm not connecting with God, how can I lead the congregation to do that?

Quote:
It doesn't help when we have the meal and the service in the same room. So, I'm having to get all the stuff set up (guitar, speakers, PA, cords, microphones, song list) all by myself. This is the same room that we host a community meal every wendseday, and worship service for the kids, and young adult/college group on wendsday nights. So, having everything left alone is not really something I can prevent, and don't let it bring me down too much.
Is there any way you can get some help? Perhaps ask around for someone to help out.
With song list, I keep a list of songs with me on my computer and their keys, so I can pick the songs early in the week. And I have a filing cabinet with all the music and lyrics which I go to on Sunday morning when I'm setting up.

Quote:
Also, I'm not that great at singing, and I know the verse in the Bible that talks about making a joyful noise to the Lord, and people say it doesn't matter, but it matters to me. It doesn't help when I can hear everyone singing over me. I've voiced my opinion to the CR leader about this by asking if we could meet in the sanctuary, where everyone worships at normal services. He said that this would pose a problem because people would bring their drinks and food into the service, which isn't supposed to be there in the first place. He also stated we don't have the numbers for having it in the sanctuary, and people would get distracted. The church this is in isn't a stadium type building, so I don't see how this is going to affect it.
When you say you can hear everyone singing over you - are you mic'd up? If not, can you be? It will help you as much as the congregation hear where you want them to go, etc.
Perhaps things about singing lessons. Even just a few, and you could learn how to get a good tone out and how to get your breathing right.

Quote:
So, to help with sinning, the leader asked someone to help me sing, but I have to call her, or she doesn't show up, and she doesn't know the songs. I know she could take the lyrics home with her, and learn them off of youtube. I even made a cd with most of the songs on it that we do in church, but she didn't come. I'm at the point where I'm about to tell her off, but I know that's not the way to handle things.
If you have to keep hounding her about it, she's probably not really wanting to be in the team. And if she's just not into it, and doesn't want to lead the people, perhaps the worship team isn't the place for her. You want people with you who are going to be supportive and help to lead the people into worship. You don't want someone up there looking around and counting down the songs until she can sit down again.

Quote:
Another rant I have is that the fellowship hall has really bad accoustics. It's a small room, but they put carpet down at least. I feel like I'm fighting with the mic and my guitar the whole time.
Dunno how to help you out there. Do you have someone else doing sound for you? That might help and enable you to keep your focus on leading the people.

--

Learning to sing and play guitar can be a bit of a challenge. But it just takes practice. Start off trying to sing with the guitar without a mic. Once you master that, you can work on your mic skills. Just keep at it. I sing with a guitar as well, and found aiming at the mic a bit of a challenge at the start. But keep at it.
Unread 02-05-2012, 11:13 PM   #8

Well, I thought I should tell you guys what happened after I posted. If you guys think I'm in sin for doing what I did, then please say so.

I tried more, and I just got sick of it, and threw in the towel. I've been going to classes wanting to go for a AA or AS (whatever it is) in counseling, specifically drug/abuse. So, I started burning the candle at both ends (a saying my mom says a bit), and ran out of both patience and steam. I just quit going. There was no one showing up except the leaders and maybe one or two regulars. It wasn't like there a ton of people.
Anyway, me and the wife have been going to a local church not far from us, and we're not in a good place all together. She grew up in her mothers' shadow, moving from church to church. Anyway, she's carried that with her now for most of her life. I realize that marriage means you let go of selfish habits, or you try to make room for your mate's faults, not matter how small or big they might be. I'm trying to keep us going to church, but it's hard when a) there's no one there under 30 except a couple of people, and b) getting up for church feels like a chore.
Anyway, I've been listening to a band called Jesus Culture from California, and it feels like a fire growing....I don't know.
Unread 02-06-2012, 07:44 AM   #9
Hey ya'll, watch this!

A sin? No. But you're making a mistake. Have you spoken to anyone in leadership at your church about your discomfort? You really should. As leaders of the Church we are told in no uncertain terms to "feed the sheep". It's serious business and if one of the flock isn't doing well spiritually we need to address it head on.

I'm not going to pick your post apart because I don't know you at all and would never want to say anything to hurt you. But I'm picking up a certain vibe from you that tells me there's something eating you and that concerns me. The place to start is to address it with the leadership of the church you're attending now. You certainly have my prayers.
Unread 02-07-2012, 11:11 PM   #10

Yeah, there's a lot of leadership problems in the church, specifically in the volunteer department. I'm not going to even try to take it on, because that's an issue in itself. I guess I can see why a lot of people, after facing "church hurt" don't want to set foot in a church anymore. But, I'm told all the time "It's not about us." And then I ask this question: Well if it's not about us, what are we doing here? Why did you volunteer for [fill in the blank]?
Unread 02-10-2012, 08:37 AM   #11
The Elephant in Your Room

paid
Quote:
Also, I'm not that great at singing, and I know the verse in the Bible that talks about making a joyful noise to the Lord, and people say it doesn't matter, but it matters to me.
Psalm 33:3 says "Sing to Him a new song, play skillfully, and shout for joy."

I agree with you here. Same reason why I leave the singing for people who are better at it, and stick with the guitar instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...
Ben Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 10:58 AM   #12
Hey ya'll, watch this!

Quote:
Yeah, there's a lot of leadership problems in the church, specifically in the volunteer department. I'm not going to even try to take it on, because that's an issue in itself. I guess I can see why a lot of people, after facing "church hurt" don't want to set foot in a church anymore. But, I'm told all the time "It's not about us." And then I ask this question: Well if it's not about us, what are we doing here? Why did you volunteer for [fill in the blank]?
Been there, done that. Our music department had issues in the past, I suppose we still do to some extent. Our preacher gave me the best advice I ever got on the subject. He told me to go home and pray about it. So I did. And whenever the subject came up in church I'd just reply that I was still praying over it. All I asked of God was the wisdom to see what was really happening around me. And then one night when the whole thing blew apart I was the only one who hadn't taken sides, so it was my turn to lead. Had I grown impatient or angry I would not have been in a position to serve when it was my time. And when the time came to hand over that leadership to someone else I did so willingly and in a spirit of Christian Love.

I think serving in an AA or NA ministry sounds like a great opportunity. But like every ministry it's important to not go around driving square pegs in round holes. That sounds like what they were doing by asking you to do a worship set complete with P.A. system for a handful of folks. But then again I'm not too smart, anyone who's been around here long can vouch for that.
Unread 02-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #13

Well, the PA was an ok PA...I think it was either the old one that they used to use when the church first started, or it is a low-end one. It can only hold 4 channels total. Add to it 2 speakers, and one of them I'm pretty sure is blown. Plus, the floor has carpet, but the room itself is a fellowship hall that can, if needed, but cut into 2 rooms via a set of doors. But the ceilings are high, so that cuts the volume on some stuff.
And yeah, most of the time it was just a handful of people. I don't mind not playing for a big crowd, and there don't have to be huge numbers, but it got kind of old when my grades in my classes started going downhill and I needed more time to get caught up.
Unread 02-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #14

Whoops. I was in school, doing a math class, and Saturday nights where when I would hit the books as hard as I could because I didn't have much time any other time.
Unread 03-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #15

+1 for monitor speakers

Quote:
Also, I'm not that great at singing, and I know the verse in the Bible that talks about making a joyful noise to the Lord, and people say it doesn't matter, but it matters to me. It doesn't help when I can hear everyone singing over me.
A monitor speaker would help you hear yourself more than the audience. It might make feedback a little worse, but try to get your mic closer to your mouth --- this is better for a lot of reasons. A tiny bit of reverb in the monitor speaker will help your confidence a lot, but it requires a little more equipment and can make the feedback problem even worse.

Colossians 3:23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men,

Regards,
David
DavC is offline   Reply With Quote