Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #1
Arnold Palmers FTW

Send a message via AIM to jamforchrist123 Send a message via Skype™ to jamforchrist123
NSD!

New Snare Day!

This was an unexpected one. I was in Guitar Center with family just killing time and I saw a few snares I thought I'd try out. They had a 5.5x14 Chrome/Steel(?) DW Collectors, a 5.5x14 DW Collectors Maple VLT, and a 6.5x14 Pork Pie Black Beauty copy.

I spent about an hour going between the three. I just found out about a huge gig coming up, so the need of getting a snare jumped A TON. I needed one soon. I had planned to get a black beauty, but I thought I'd try these out to see what I thought.

First Was the DW Chrome. It sounded great. Honestly, all three sounded incredible. Even more, they all sounded pretty much the same. They all just sounded like good snare drums. The Chrome had a stock head on it, so it sounded just ever so slightly more dead than the other two. It sounded incredible, a GREAT crack, lots of ring, and just in general a great snare sound. I wish I could get in more detail, but I don't know how else to describe it haha.

Next was the Maple VLT. Again a great crack, a bit more warm than the other two (because of the maple maybe?) lots of ring, and it sounded great at all tuning levels, whether cranked or way down low.

Last was the Pork Pie Black Beauty copy. I'd go into tons of detail, but one more time, great crack, lots of ring, and I didn't really play with the tuning range on this one as much.

I narrowed it down to the two DW's because they just overall sounded a bit better than the Pork Pie, although if I would have gone with the Pork Pie I would have been more than happy. It's a GREAT drum and at around the $200's, it's an incredible deal for anybody that needs a cheaper snare (it honestly did sound pretty close to the other two). I set both DW's up side by side and played them a TON. It was almost a coin flip. They both sounded really, really good. I was a bit surprised how similar they sounded even though one was Chrome/Steel/whatever and one was Maple.

I ended up going with the maple. It sounded just SLIGHTLY more "rich" or "full" at both lower and higher tunings (it may be because the Chrome had a stock head and the Maple had a Remo Ambassador on it). I can't believe it was such a close fight, but in the end I'm very VERY very happy. I went into this whole expensive drum thing planning to get a Black Beauty, and came out with a DW Collectors Maple VLT 5.5x14 snare drum . I don't know what the finish is called, but it sure looks great. It doesn't EXACTLY go with the Champaign sparkle, but I could care less as it sounds exactly how I think a snare should sound.

I could not be more happy with my purchase! I got it for $425 so I think I got a pretty good deal. I can't wait to jump into the studio for the first time at school so I can show all of this DW stuff off!

jamforchrist123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-10-2011, 11:17 PM   #2
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Nice! I think a lot of the drummers I've been playing with lately are going for the maple snares. It's a classy look, too.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 12:05 PM   #3
Arnold Palmers FTW

Send a message via AIM to jamforchrist123 Send a message via Skype™ to jamforchrist123
I was honestly so surprised how close they all sounded. I am pretty sure my next snare will be a 6.5x14 black beauty or that Pork Pie copy, but for now this is honestly all I could ever need. It sounds killer up high but right now I'm keeping it deep and it sounds huge.

...we need more drummers on this forum.
jamforchrist123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 01:10 PM   #4
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
We need more of a lot of things on this forum.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote