Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Entertainment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-13-2011, 06:31 AM   #1
assistant regional mgr.

Thumbs up Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows 2

So the movie comes out soon. Might as well draft up a thread for people to check in as they see it, and generate generic hype.

Everyone seen the trailers? I think I've already seen much of the movie, based on the trailers and the Harry Potter movie marathons on ABC Family that had a kajillion special clips from the new movie. Still, looking forward to it.

"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him." -Thomas Carlyle
Dwight Schrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-15-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
assistant regional mgr.

seriously, is it my deodorant or something? I would have thought at least one person on this board would have at least a mild interest in this movie... thread killah strikes again...

Unread 07-15-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
Art
Superfly.

paid
I don't have interest in it until I get a chance to see it. Which I will, as soon as possible.
Unread 07-15-2011, 08:22 PM   #4
Joseph

It was amazing, definitely see it, but only if you know the rest of the story. at least see the other movies.
and now Mike Tyson is a centaur
judd. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2011, 10:15 PM   #5
I'm a girl. And a Bassist

Went to the midnight showing in 3D. I cried. That is all for now. <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork
is it sad that im almost more excited for mountian dew than skillet?

youre getting apocolypsed cuz you have too many guns.
JesusFreakGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2011, 07:20 PM   #6
assistant regional mgr.

haven't had the chance to see it yet, will go tomorrow night. just too bogged down getting the worship set ready for this week. plan on seeing it in either 3d or on the imax in 3d. looking forward to a stellar performance by Alan Rickman, I hear he steals the show.

Unread 07-17-2011, 01:10 PM   #7
Administrator
Administrator

paid
[obvious spoiler warning]

I got to see this one yesterday. I felt like it was a quality adaptation of the book, once again. It seemed like it was toned down emotionally, though, from the book. I remember the chapter about Snape being particularly tragic in the book, and it seemed to be handled more lightly in the movie. Of course, my perception might be off, since I read the book straight through on the day it came out and haven't touched it since, so I've forgotten a bit.
Anyway. I enjoyed it. A fitting end to the series.
mtlmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 03:24 PM   #8
is growing up

Send a message via AIM to SupaNova
I saw this last night. I enjoyed it very much. There was stuff that was changed from the book, blah blah blah, etc. It held its own as a quite worthy film adaption anyway.

[more obvious spoiler warnings]

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA
I got to see this one yesterday. I felt like it was a quality adaptation of the book, once again. It seemed like it was toned down emotionally, though, from the book. I remember the chapter about Snape being particularly tragic in the book, and it seemed to be handled more lightly in the movie. Of course, my perception might be off, since I read the book straight through on the day it came out and haven't touched it since, so I've forgotten a bit.
Anyway. I enjoyed it. A fitting end to the series.
They did, but I don't think they really could have added much more emotional weight without going through Snape's entire history. I was plesantly surprised actually- they did a good job of piecing together that sequence for the cinematic version. I thought that one quick scene where Snape and baby Harry are crying over Lily was one of the saddest parts in the whole movie.

And after seeing both parts of Deathly Hollows, I kind of wish they had left out that whole "was Dumbledore really a good guy?" sideplot. Unless you read the books, you probably had no clue what the heck Aberforth was babbling on about or why Ariana was so mysteriously significant even after the film was over. I don't think it really hurt anything having those scenes in there- just ultimately seemed like wasted space.

hard times in Rockingham, hard times harder still...
SupaNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 07:07 AM   #9
assistant regional mgr.

saw it last night in 3D, was an excellent movie.

obvious SPOILER ALERT but I found Alan Rickman just stood so far out in regards to superior acting. he had very limited lines in the movie and yet stole the show in so many ways. I found the scene of him in the house to be incredibly powerful. it perfectly summarized the entire scenario with him cradling Lily and sobbing, while showing no concern whatsoever for the crying Harry only a few feet away. I also found the very end scene to be excellent - very stripped down from the book, and yet very meaningful in so many ways in its simplicity. perfectly done.

seeing it in 3d was a good choice, there wasn't a ton of exceptional 3d content but the scenes at Gringotts (the coaster ride, the reproducing treasure, etc.) as well as many of the explosions were well done - especially for some reason the death of Voldy seemed to be really beefed up in 3d. all in all, a good decision even if I was a tad woozy when walking out of the theater after 130 minutes of 3d...

Unread 08-30-2011, 08:30 PM   #10

I thought this movie was only so-so. I love the books and most of the movies, but DH2 was a disappointment for me. A lot of the dialogue and such felt corny, the ending before the flashback was not good (from Neville's speech to the breaking of the wand), and it just did not live up to the hype. Yes, things were changed from the book and I don't mind changes when they work, but a lot of the changes simply did not work. I enjoyed watching the movie, but I left the theater with the feeling "that was nice, but I can't wait for the real DH2 to come out."
Unread 09-14-2011, 08:52 AM   #11
|Last of the Gang to Die|

SPOILERS

The break from the book where Neville made the speech (but then didn't kill the snake until later) was lame. I did like it, however, when they had Harry and Tom jump from the tower during the final fight. Too much back and forth wand shooting would have been visually boring.

[My CGR Blog]

CGR: The Decimation
[A chronicle of CGR's timestream disruption and eventual redemption]

Last edited by TheProdigalModern; 09-14-2011 at 11:34 AM.
TheProdigalModern is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 11:30 AM   #12
assistant regional mgr.

the final harry voldy fight added a bit, from the book, which I thought was nice. harry just kind of walking in and facing him would have been anticlimactic. having them brawl was a nice change. neville's speech was pretty lame, and kind of took away from the heroics of the book IMO. in the book, he kind of comes forward as a defiant rebel and openly challenges voldy. in the movie, there was some of that, but it kind of got washed out in the *yawn* speech.

Unread 09-19-2011, 07:02 AM   #13
assistant regional mgr.

deep and insightful post, astrology spammer! /sarcasm

Unread 09-19-2011, 08:30 AM   #14
|Last of the Gang to Die|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
deep and insightful post, astrology spammer! /sarcasm
Be nice. Our friend Spammela is just getting over the shock that there will be no more HP films.

Lo, she beheld the stars and a terrible portent was upon them! For they clearly said: "No more canonical Harry Potter films shall be made."

But Lo, again she looked, and the stars vexed her, for they said, "Yet there is still hope -- fanfiction may yet be written. For who can forget 'Star Wars: Revelations?'"

[My CGR Blog]

CGR: The Decimation
[A chronicle of CGR's timestream disruption and eventual redemption]
TheProdigalModern is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2019, 04:37 AM   #15
طعام الكلب

Send a message via MSN to dogfood
Just starting it.