Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-14-2012, 08:59 PM   #46

Some strings I've used lately....

Ernie Ball Cobalts: These sound great right off the bat, and feel better than most strings I've played (for the first two days). They have a bit more output and more upper mids than your normal Slinkys, but my set only lasted a couple days without getting really nasty. I talked with a few other players and they had experienced the same thing with them. They just seemed like they corroded quicker that my usual ones. I'd use these mostly for really important gigs or recording sessions.

Cleartone Electric Strings: Okay, indistinguishable from uncoated strings until about the 3rd day... then they started to sound a bit dull. After about 5 days they just got too muddy for my taste... IMHO I don't break them as much, but they sound dead just as quick and aren't worth 3-4 times the price of my normal strings if I still have to change them for tonal reasons just as much.

Ernie Ball Slinkys: These are my normal strings. I typically get about 6 days out of these before I usually snap one. They normally sound pretty fresh for about 4-5 days, after 6 days I typically have to change them for tonal and breakage issues. Today, I actually changed a set 5 mins before going on stage today and stretched them out during a break in the first two songs. I don't prefer the Slinkys over any other strings... It's just I have to change most strings within a the week anyway.... and these sound good for being cheap and easy to find. I tend to break D'Addarios a lot.... I had a few backs that I broke them the day I changed them, but I play really heavy with thick picks.

My reason for changing strings so often.

I play out a lot lately, at my church, at various functions that I'm invited to, our worship team's album that we're recording, personal guitar time, and my own personal recording projects. My guitars get a lot of work through the week and I'm probably on the guitar at least 20+ hours a week. So, my strings get a lot mileage in a short time, plus I really hit the strings hard, and my hands sweat like crazy. I've tried different types of strings and I just really enjoy the sound, feel, and stability of a fresh set. Fresh sets of strings still aren't always safe against breakage though... I've broken a few that I've change before gigs or the night after.... but they sound better and break less often than week old strings.

LC7rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-27-2013, 02:18 PM   #47
on rye

Guitar: Fender American Standard Tele
String Brand: D'Addario
Type/Gauge: Nickel Wound Regular Light Gauge (EXL110); .010-.046

1. Are these strings different than the last strings you used? If so, why?
No.

3. Additional string-y comments:
So I think I changed my strings once between my last post and this post (and didn't post it). Certainly not in the last two months . . .

Anyway, it's been way too long. Finally changed them today and my guitar (at least to me) sounds 10x better. Don't forget to change your stings folks!
Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 06:47 PM   #48

Guitar: Yamaha AC3R
String Brand: Ernie Ball Earthwood
Type/Gauge: Phosphor Bronze 80/20; .012-.054

Yes. Got a good deal.

3. Additional string-y comments: I used these religiously when I played wih 11s and when I switched my guitar setups to 12s, I tried set of 11s that obviously turned me off to them. Best Buy has a great price on these, so I got a set. These have a much warmer tone than most other strings I've used lately.

Yamaha LL16MARE AC3R LLX6A CPX700iiS-12 FGX730SCA SLG100S Revstar 502T FG230 Pacifica012 Revstar 320 Weddington Special PSRE433

Conrad Resonator

Squier Vintage Modified Bass VI

Ibanez EDB405

Peavey VYPRY VIP 2 Sanpera I TKO 115
Epiphone Valve Jr combo
Vox Night Train G2 CH1
Yamaha THR5

TC Electronics Ditto Vocalist Live 3 MXR Carbon Copy
Electro Harmonix Boost L.R. Baggs Para Acoustic DI

Yamaha MG82CX MG16XU MSR400 Kustom PA50 KPC210MP

Blue Encore 100 200 Heil PR20 EV Cobalt Co9 MXL 990/991 Sennheiser E935 AKG D5LX
mathminnick31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #49
Xcelerate.

Guitar: Fender Deluxe Player's Strat
String Brand: Ernie Ball Slinky
Type/Gauge: NPS .009-.046 Hybrid

Yes. I normally use Fender .009 Bullets, but my local guitar shop closed and no other stores are convenient and have Fender strings, so I switched to D'Addario. Three weeks later, I am back after breaking a string and picked these up. They actually are the wrong gauge because I didn't realize they had the heavy bottom.

2. If yes, do you notice a difference?
Yes. They are smoother-feeling than the D'Addarios, but brighter than the Fenders. I like the tone of the D'Addarios slightly better, but overall I am happy. I really like the heavy bottom because it allows me to dig in more on the bottom strings.

3. Additional string-y comments: This is my first ever set of Ernie Balls. I have used D'Addario and Fender strings religiously since I bought my Ibanez ARX a couple years back, only deviating in dire circumstances.

My electric rig: Fender Deluxe Player's Strat > Morley Little Alligator > Dunlop Echoplex Preamp > Line 6 M13 > Blackstar HT-5R w/ a 5751

Other stuff: Yamaha CPX-1200 (acoustic), Mid-2000s Fender Standard Jazz Bass
gopats1479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #50

Guitar: Ibanez RGA8 modded with Dimarzio D-activators
String Brand: Circle K
Gauges: Custom Set .009-.042 adding a .60 for the low B and a .79 for the low F#

Way different, they are much more present than any other brand ive ever tried. Brighter yet not harsh making every note in a chord stand out. Its like changing from standard 420 on a television to 1080i Hi Def. The D,addarios I used previously almost seem muddy by comparison. According to circle K this is because,

"Our hybrid sets are a unique combination of nickel and steel – not quite as bright as steels and not as ‘scooped’ as nickels. This mix of materials gives our strings a tonality that shifts less over time and lasts longer."

They were originally formulated for bass players who wanted more definition especially in lower registers and they have caught on with guitarists as well.

They certainly do feel different. Theyre kinda floppy like earnie balls and when I compare them to other strings of the same guage they seem to have less tension. This caused me to worry when I first strung them up because I thought they might sound like ernie balls as well which to my ears are a bit dark lacking attack and die rather quickly. However the opposite was true they had more attack and retained almost as much fresh string tone several weeks later as some of the coated brands ive tried. Some might feel the need to up the gauge a little bit when trying these strings. I found that I got used to it and now they feel natural.

3. Additional string-y comments :

If you play music of a technical nature where you want to hear good note seperation and definition under gain then these are the strings for you. They may be to present for certain genres. They also seem to be a bit louder than other strings so you may have to adjust your gain in a negative direction.
seventoglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #51
Xcelerate.

Guitar: Yamaha CPX-1200
String brand: D'Addario
Type/Gauge: EXP Phosphor Bronze Light .12s

Sort of. They are the same brand, material, and gauge. The only difference is that they are coated.

The only difference I notice is that the coating. It makes the strings feel less string-y.

3. Additional string-y comments: My third try with coated strings. The first was Elixir: completely awful and dull-sounding. Second was EXP 80/20: broke after three weeks. I hope these last a while and work well!

My electric rig: Fender Deluxe Player's Strat > Morley Little Alligator > Dunlop Echoplex Preamp > Line 6 M13 > Blackstar HT-5R w/ a 5751

Other stuff: Yamaha CPX-1200 (acoustic), Mid-2000s Fender Standard Jazz Bass
gopats1479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 02:35 PM   #52

Guitar: Gibson Les Paul Custom (modified)
Brand: GHS
Type/gauge: Boomers 10-46

I use different gauges on different guitars, depending what suits them, as I sometimes will use a sldie in standard tuning on this guitar I switched to 10's although I used 9's for years.
Unread 09-16-2013, 06:20 AM   #53
Hey ya'll, watch this!

Guitar: Eastman AC420
Brand: D'Addario
Type: EJ17 Phosphor Bronze, Medium, 13-56

This is a pretty standard acoustic guitar string. They ring out quite a bit which suits a rosewood guitar like the Eastman. Lots of bark. Very little finger noise. I think I still prefer Martin Lifespans but they are nowhere to be found locally in medium. Typically they'll go about four weeks until they need a change.
jeepnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2014, 08:16 PM   #54

John Pearse #200L

Guitar: Yamaha AC3R
String Brand: John Pearse
Type/Gauge: 12-53

Optional
At the recommendation of a student player who's dad (a Martin playing worship leader) I reluctantly forked over $9 for a set.
These truly are great strings. The fit, feel, craftsmanship of the ball end wrap is second to none. Great tone, overtones, after a few hours of time they haven't gone dead as many others do.
3. Additional string-y comments:
I will be buying more of these. I just tried them on my larger bodied LLX6A with great results.

Yamaha LL16MARE AC3R LLX6A CPX700iiS-12 FGX730SCA SLG100S Revstar 502T FG230 Pacifica012 Revstar 320 Weddington Special PSRE433

Conrad Resonator

Ibanez EDB405

Epiphone Valve Jr combo
Vox Night Train G2 CH1
Yamaha THR5

Blue Encore 100 200 Heil PR20 EV Cobalt Co9 MXL 990/991 Sennheiser E935 AKG D5LX
Unread 07-31-2014, 01:52 PM   #55

Martin Marquis

Guitar: Yamaha FG700S
String Brand: Martin Marquis
Type/Gauge: 12-54

Optional
1. Are these strings different than the last strings you used? If so, why? Yes. Great buy at GC.
2. If yes, do you notice a difference? Terrific bass response the silk wraps around the ball end are a class act and help make the bridge pins seat more securely.
3. Additional string-y comments: I will buy more sets of these.

Conrad Resonator

Ibanez EDB405

Epiphone Valve Jr combo
Vox Night Train G2 CH1
Yamaha THR5

Unread 03-07-2015, 03:33 PM   #56

Guitar: Ibanez AF95
String Brand: GHS Boomers
Type/Gauge: 10-52

Optional
1. Are these strings different than the last strings you used? Same--I like them--although I did try a wound G this time instead of a plain G, and I must say I prefer it.
2. If yes, do you notice a difference? See above about the wound G
3. Additional string-y comments:It was a real pain, because I normally replace the strings one at a time on this guitar to decrease the chances of moving the bridge (On this guitar, an archtop, the bridge is held on by string pressure.)
the old G had the ball end stuck in the tailpiece and I was unable to get it out without loosening the strings so I could flip the trapeze tailpiece over and remove the ball end with pliers.
It took way longer than normal--and I had to do a lot more intonation work than normal--cut severely into my playing time.
Unread 03-11-2015, 09:45 AM   #57
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Guitar: AXL-Warmoth parts guitar, need a name for it, currently, nothing
String brand: As always, D'addario
Type/Guage: 10-46 regular light guage

Optional
1. Are these strings different than the last strings you use? Since this guitar has never been strung since getting all the new parts on it... no
2. If yes... well it's not yes so this is not applicable
3. Additional string-y comments: I've started keeping specific sets on different guitars. I felt like the 10-46 (I usually use sets that start at 9) would allow me to really bring out the growl of the P90s without altering my play-style too much. I usually have sets that end on 46 anyways, sometimes heavier on the bottom, but I spend A LOT of time on the high frets of the high strings so this was a bit different for me. A bit twangier, but that's kind of what I wanted.

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2015, 10:27 PM   #58
Raised by a cup o' coffee

Guitar: Shecter Omen 6
String Brand: Ernie Ball
Type/Gauge: .11-.54

Optional
1. Are these strings different than the last strings you used? If so, why? Yup, I was using .10-52 for Drop C, and that didn't work all that well.
2. If yes, do you notice a difference? I do. They have a bigger and better sound.
Because they come from the Internet. And everything from the Internet is illegal.
Agoodname22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2015, 02:26 PM   #59

Guitar: Martin HD-28v
String Brand: D'Addario
Type/Gauge: EJ19 Bluegrass strings. Medium Bass, Light Top

1. I alternate between the EJ17s (Mediums) and these.
2.I don't notice a huge difference between the two, but I think I like the Mediums more.
3. I used to be a huge coated string fan, but I love the extra grip I get on the strings with the uncoated variety. I do get some string squeaks plugging in. I don't mind in a purely acoustic set, but if I'm playing with a band the squeaking can be annoying. I'll probably be searching for a happy medium this summer.
darfaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2016, 05:38 PM   #60

Guitar: Taylor 414ce
String Brand: Elixir
Type/Gauge: PB Nanowebs 12s.

The PBs just sing on this guitar in any gauge. The store clerk the last time accidentally gave me 80/20s last time and yuck. The 12s are good. Going to try and put some HD lights on this guitar the next time.
darfaz is offline   Reply With Quote