Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-07-2011, 02:11 AM   #46
Hey, I can change this!!!

Oh dear.

1st reaction is...

ok, actually first reaction was reswallowing the little bit of sick in the back of my throat....

SECOND reaction is that the 5 way switch is going to get knocked EVERY strum......

and the variax I got is a sunburst 300. absolutely mint condition for £200

I'm a very happy bunny!

luthier blog

Soundclick Developing Worship forum
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-07-2011, 05:06 AM   #47
on rye

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
The only photos that ever existed were from 15-20 years ago. Various members of the board asked for updating photographs repeatedly and were told they were coming, but the pictures never came.
Wasn't there also a second guitar of some sort in the works? Or something that was in the pipeline, but updates never really came for that either.

And then *poof*. Gone without a trace. Cheshire Cat is like the Roanoke Colony of CGR.
Unread 07-07-2011, 05:16 AM   #48
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
Wasn't there also a second guitar of some sort in the works? Or something that was in the pipeline, but updates never really came for that either.

And then *poof*. Gone without a trace. Cheshire Cat is like the Roanoke Colony of CGR.
only without blue eyed native americans in the area.

My Life.
Unread 07-07-2011, 06:33 AM   #49
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Utah = *barf*

Versatility is more in the hands and mind of the player than it is in the amount of pickups and switches on the guitar, imho.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
Unread 07-07-2011, 07:22 AM   #50

Strat, hands down no question.

Next I would say either LP or Tele

Pedaltrain 2 & diago powerstation - JHS Little Black Buffer, PolyTune, JHS Mini Bomb Boost, Carl Martin Compressor, Line 6 MM4 (JHS modded), Ibanez TS9 (1981, Keeley modded), Jekyll & Hyde v1, VP JR, TC Nova Delay, DD5, DD7, Boss RV-5
Patch leads = George L's plugs/cable + Mogami W2524 + Neutrix NP2RX-B plugs
Unread 07-07-2011, 07:22 AM   #51
Xcelerate.

Bo Diddley would love that Utah.

My electric rig: Fender Deluxe Player's Strat > Morley Little Alligator > Dunlop Echoplex Preamp > Line 6 M13 > Blackstar HT-5R w/ a 5751

Other stuff: Yamaha CPX-1200 (acoustic), Mid-2000s Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Unread 07-07-2011, 07:27 AM   #52
Hey ya'll, watch this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
Utah = *barf*

Versatility is more in the hands and mind of the player than it is in the amount of pickups and switches on the guitar, imho.
Yeah, but I played a Strat with a Roland MIDI pickup coupled to a Roland modeling amp the other night and it was just more fun than a barrel full of monkeys. Yeah, real live monkeys rolling around in a barrel. It could do all sorts of tricks. Add to that the fact the guitar was set up better than any Strat I've ever touched and, well, it quickly rises to my top five of do it all guitars.
Unread 07-07-2011, 07:32 AM   #53
I AM A BASS PLAYER

Send a message via AIM to Josey Wales Send a message via Yahoo to Josey Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoestring View Post
I think that this one would be pretty versatile but maybe not too practical. Also, I don't know if you'd call it a guitar.

steve, did you build this? haha

"I'M GONNA GIVE YOU A BAD CASE OF SOMBODY SHOT ME IN THE HEAD"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Cowboy In Me (Blog) I My Guitar Build: The Making Of The DISASTERCASTER
The New Restoration Project: The Making Of The JEMCASTER I NEW BASS: PAINT 'N' STUFF

FaceBook I ALL SAINTS DAY I ASD facebook I ASD reverb nation I BREAKING THE TIDE
Unread 07-07-2011, 03:26 PM   #54
Your Ad Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
I can't believe I'm doing this...

This is a picture of one of the versions of the Utah. The site I found this on posted it in March 2011, but I have no idea how old the picture actually is.

Thanks, Steve, for the picture - I get it now. One of my-wife-and-I's favourite places in all the world is just about where the 5th string ball-end would be.
Unread 07-09-2011, 11:48 PM   #55

Send a message via MSN to dotted.eighth
I say the most versatile guitar (without going into the digital real) would be any guitar with P-Rails in it.

For me, a strat with a set of Seymour Duncan P- Rails would be so good
Unread 07-10-2011, 12:55 AM   #56
by hope we steer

I don't understand how everyone is saying a Tele is more versatile than a Strat. With the right bridge pickup, a Strat can almost pull Tele tones, with more versatility.

Personally, I can get almost any tone I want out of my little Fender Musicmaster with a humbucker in the bridge and a single coil in the neck. Had I a coil splitting knob for the bridge, I think I'd be set.

However, I think the ultimate in versatility would really be any guitar with an EQ pedal. I think you'd be hard pressed to find anybody who couldn't make that setup do what they want into a good amp.
Unread 07-16-2011, 06:13 AM   #57
major 4th to a minor 4th

So, on a guitar forum we're (kind of) debating what guitar to get to do everything. I'm surprised at you people. Surely the dream is to have a different guitar for everything. If I had my way... (lots of guitars...)

I agree with those who have said that it's really more about you're playing. As I'm developing my musicianship I notice that most times I pick up s guitar in a shop, I play the same way and find out whether the guitar suits me. Although a 3 pickup-ed coil tapped guitar might give me more sonically, I find that I don't in 98% of times playing take advantage of the fact that my stock mim tele has a three way switch and a volume and a tone knob.

If was playing in another covers band, I would probably buy a cheap variax but when it's me, and for most people playing their own style, I don't think you necessarily need the kind of versatility of a guitar that sounds like a strat, a tele and an lp. And then, we wouldn't have an excuse for buying a strat and an lp as well.
Unread 07-16-2011, 06:27 AM   #58
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Enough View Post
I don't understand how everyone is saying a Tele is more versatile than a Strat. With the right bridge pickup, a Strat can almost pull Tele tones, with more versatility.
Personally, I think the tele has a greater range, not in numbers of options, but because the bridge has sounds that can't be acheived with a strat, but I can't find a tone in a strat that I want that I can't get out of a tele. Throw in a nashville into the mix, and I think that would win cold.

Quote:
Personally, I can get almost any tone I want out of my little Fender Musicmaster with a humbucker in the bridge and a single coil in the neck. Had I a coil splitting knob for the bridge, I think I'd be set.
And I can get most tones I want out of my tele or LP, but I have a lot of guitars and I approach each differently. My ric for example inspires quite different techniques than the LP.
Quote:
However, I think the ultimate in versatility would really be any guitar with an EQ pedal. I think you'd be hard pressed to find anybody who couldn't make that setup do what they want into a good amp.
Quite possibly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by telecasting View Post
So, on a guitar forum we're (kind of) debating what guitar to get to do everything. I'm surprised at you people. Surely the dream is to have a different guitar for everything. If I had my way... (lots of guitars...)
I think I kind of have this. I like it.
Quote:
I agree with those who have said that it's really more about you're playing. As I'm developing my musicianship I notice that most times I pick up s guitar in a shop, I play the same way and find out whether the guitar suits me. Although a 3 pickup-ed coil tapped guitar might give me more sonically, I find that I don't in 98% of times playing take advantage of the fact that my stock mim tele has a three way switch and a volume and a tone knob.
Personally I use all 4 positions of a modded 4 way tele switch, and both knobs.
Quote:
If was playing in another covers band, I would probably buy a cheap variax but when it's me, and for most people playing their own style, I don't think you necessarily need the kind of versatility of a guitar that sounds like a strat, a tele and an lp. And then, we wouldn't have an excuse for buying a strat and an lp as well.
Where is the ric, the full hollow, filtertrons, etc.

My Life.
Unread 07-16-2011, 03:02 PM   #59
major 4th to a minor 4th

Billsprestonesq, I know what you mean about the filtertrons and so on, but as generally the way I play doesn't necessarily mean I need them, I don't feel that I lose out by not having the option. I think I'm right in saying that the variax models rics and gretschs so if I needed (for covers) I would poss go down the line. If I went for big time country or similar music that would suit a gretsch, I would consider getting one but even then I feel that sonically I wasn't really getting a guitar for me, but rather to conform to the style of music I was playing (and I did play some country in the last covers band I was in on my tele anyway).

I think it's different for recording, and would much prefer to take a bunch of different guitars into a studio to get the right sounds and interesting/different sounds, but live; I'm pretty confident I would sound largely the same whatever guitar I used unless I was really conscious about playing a certain way with a certain guitar (although I have to admit that scale length makes a much bigger difference as opposed to pickups IMO).

I'm pretty sure I'm odd in this respect but I get the sneaking suspicion that i'm not alone.
Unread 08-03-2011, 10:03 AM   #60

The PW band I play in does everything from Christian rock to syrupy ballads to gospel and traditional hymns. I have quite a few guitars, and rotate them... a different one each week. Every guitar I have covers what the music needs, whether it is a LP, 335, PRS, strat, tele, humbucker, single coil, P-90... it really doesn't matter. Of course each guitar sounds different, but they all have enough versatility to cover the bases. The only time I use a second guitar is when the song calls for an acoustic.

Having said that though, when I am learning a new song and looking for a specific tone, I can go through a half-dozen guitars and I'll usually end up finding it on my tele.
Closed Thread