Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-03-2011, 08:14 PM   #16

Good Telecasters and Statocasters can do just about everything, with Strats going a little bit closer to the soft side and Teles going a little bit closer to the hard side.

some kind of custom Kramer electric
Amp:
Crate V18
Pedals:
Planet Waves Tuner, Boss DD-20, Boss GE-7, Boss FBM-1, JHS Astro Mess Fuzz, ProCo Rat Distortion, Fulltone OCD, DigiTech Bad Monkey, Visual Sound Open Road, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal

"Ice cream and nachos: two of mankind's finest achievements. (do not mix)" - Jon Foreman

"The first half of my life has scared me half to death" - Matthew Theissen

"Will words define me? I am more than a moment" - Emery

I am now addicted to JHS.
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-03-2011, 09:23 PM   #17
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakirby View Post
Good Telecasters and Statocasters can do just about everything, with Strats going a little bit closer to the soft side and Teles going a little bit closer to the hard side.
I'd say both of those tend to lack humbucking and for me, a strat is just not a good choice for much of anything sonically.

Then again, I can get most sounds I want out of a gibson melody maker with 1 p90.

I can say a couple guitars are unsuitable for certain genres. (a jazz box for chicken-picken country is about all that comes to mind as you need the spank of the attack that a good jazz box is designed not to have.)

Other than that...

I would say strats are unsuitable for a lot of things IMO, but thats just because me and strats don't get along.

My Life.
Unread 07-03-2011, 10:52 PM   #18
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Not to mention that there isn't even a huge variety in the acoustic guitar world compared to the ubiquity of the steel-string guitar tone.

Electric guitarists just think there are massive tone changes with different gear when really, the average person doesn't notice the difference at all. In other words, you might be extolling the tone of a Tele over a Les Paul, but overall, it all sounds pretty similar in the grand scheme of things. An electric guitar certainly, for example, does not sound like a piano, which is a difference that the average ear is much more likely to pick up on.

Unread 07-04-2011, 01:29 AM   #19
Your Ad Here

No guitar does it all, but IMO the right Strat or Tele will cover more bases than other types. A friend of mine had a PRS with some kind of coil-tap switch. I was amazed at how well it did the Fender thing and the Gibson thing.

It's possible for us guitarists to get too worked up over these things and Rainer is at least halfway right IMO when he says the average person doesn't notice (presumably in the audience/congregation). For me it's more about believing (rightly or wrongly) that I play better when I like the sound I'm making, and because I live in the rich part of the world I can get at least 80% of the way there without much difficulty.
Unread 07-04-2011, 02:42 AM   #20
Skynyrd Gomer

Send a message via AIM to lespaul59 Send a message via Yahoo to lespaul59
Quote:
Originally Posted by heymelbs View Post
I asked the original question, but what are the different types: Strat, Tele, LP, what others?
As far as body shape goes you have: SGs, Explorers, Flying Vs, Hollow Bodies, Semi Hollow bodies. And you have the more exotic body styles like the B.C. Rich Warlock and Mockingbird and a few other brands have what I call exotic guitars like Schecter and Peavey. There are way to many different body shapes to sit and list them all.

Most guitars seem to be a variation of a Strat or a Les Paul for the most part. And what I mean by that is most guitar companies seem to either have a Strat style, Strat copy or LP copy. Or in some cases you have companies that have all three. Then you have PRS that try to offer both Strat and LP tones in a guitar. I've seem many times where people talk about being able to get Strat and LP or Gibson tone from a PRS.

Personaly if I was looking for a guitar that could cover as many types of tone as possible I would go with a Les Paul with coil taps on both pickups. Also being a fan of Semi Hollow body guitar I would also look at getting something like the Gibson: ES-335( or Epiphone: Dot) with coil taps. I've also personaly had more luck with versatility from Tele's than Strats. But to be fair to Strats I've only ever played one Strat that I really liked. So I don't guess it's the guitars it's self but rather I just don't get along with them.
Unread 07-04-2011, 05:27 AM   #21
on rye

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
It's not the arrow, it's the Indian.
I agree with this.

Just 'cause I'm biased, I'll say Telecaster. Though I've seen Les Pauls do country and Telecaster's do heavy rock to metal, which makes me believe that half of the answer to this question just depends on what someone's favorite guitar is.
Unread 07-04-2011, 05:55 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
I agree with this.

Just 'cause I'm biased, I'll say Telecaster. Though I've seen Les Pauls do country and Telecaster's do heavy rock to metal, which makes me believe that half of the answer to this question just depends on what someone's favorite guitar is.

Agreed. I prefer a Tele over a Strat or any Gibson/Epi/or whatever. It may be because they just feel better in my hands or it could be because I just look sexier with a tele than any other. But, I have always been able to do whatever music I wanted to do with any guitar that I'm holding at the time. Think the amp may have a little to do with it too?
Unread 07-04-2011, 05:59 AM   #23
Person

I get the impression that most of the answers are either of the form "The guitarist matters more than the guitar" or "whatever is my preferred guitar model." The latter reinforces the former, in my mind, but personally I like trying to collect guitars that do sound reasonably different to each other.
Unread 07-04-2011, 09:06 AM   #24
Your Ad Here

+1 on to_be_released .... if I were after another electric guitar (not going to happen, ask my wife) then it would have to be something radically different like a Danelectro*, a Tele with P90s, or a Rickenbacker**.

* also because they look like they were designed by the guys who drew Ren and Stimpy
** I don't know if Martin Smith still plays one, but in Delirious' early days, his always had a distinctive honk that could assert itself within the band without being loud...
Unread 07-04-2011, 05:59 PM   #25

I'm going to agree that an HSS Strat will pretty much cover a bit of everything. I had wired a Lonestar Strat so that I could get the rear coil of the humbucker in parallel with the neck pick up (that was position 3). While even a fat Strat wont sound like a Les Paul, the bridge bucker did at least get you in the neighborhood . Of course the modified 3rd position sounded very Tele-like and since the stock wiring featured the front coil of the humbucker to be split in the 2nd position in parfllel with the middle pick up, it actually sounded a little more acoustic-like than a what you would expect from a regular SSS Strat. Naturally, postions 4 and 5 were classic Strat sounds.
Rom. 12:21; Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.
Unread 07-04-2011, 07:27 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
I'd say both of those tend to lack humbucking and for me, a strat is just not a good choice for much of anything sonically.

Then again, I can get most sounds I want out of a gibson melody maker with 1 p90.

I can say a couple guitars are unsuitable for certain genres. (a jazz box for chicken-picken country is about all that comes to mind as you need the spank of the attack that a good jazz box is designed not to have.)

Other than that...

I would say strats are unsuitable for a lot of things IMO, but thats just because me and strats don't get along.
I used to agree with you until I was given my current guitar. Strats made in "good" Fender years generally can do probably the most of any guitar I've used, and can do just about everything with enough tweaking.
For example - my guitar can get quite bass-y, if I put a humbucker on my neck pickup I could get a nice bass-y Les Paul humbucker sound.
some kind of custom Kramer electric
Amp:
Crate V18
Pedals:
Planet Waves Tuner, Boss DD-20, Boss GE-7, Boss FBM-1, JHS Astro Mess Fuzz, ProCo Rat Distortion, Fulltone OCD, DigiTech Bad Monkey, Visual Sound Open Road, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal

"Ice cream and nachos: two of mankind's finest achievements. (do not mix)" - Jon Foreman

"The first half of my life has scared me half to death" - Matthew Theissen

"Will words define me? I am more than a moment" - Emery

I am now addicted to JHS.
Unread 07-05-2011, 06:29 AM   #27
Okagesama de genki desu

I think the most versatile guitar is whatever you have.

But, having said that, I think the things that gives a Stratocaster an edge is that it is entirely modular. You can have any pickup and control layout you can imagine simply by cutting a new pickguard. You can have a tremolo, fixed bridge, floyd rose or whatever else much more simply than most other guitars. You can swap necks to whatever you like best.

It would be possible to have just one strat, and spare parts and you could have a standard guitar, baritone, 12 string, maple and rosewood necks, fixed bridge, floyd rose, vintage trem, humbuckers, p-90's, single coils, DeArmands, Filtertrons and whatever else you could dream of all in one guitar!

A stratocaster can become anything you want it to be much easier than any other guitar. I think that's the reason you see them used in every style of music imaginable
Unread 07-05-2011, 06:42 AM   #28

The telecaster is the answer.
Plus if you get yourself a new deluxe it will come with S1 switch to effectivly bind the pickups into a single humbucker option if needed plus it has the noiseless N3 pickups which is nice and whats more its a proper guitar.
IMHO :-)
Unread 07-05-2011, 09:52 AM   #29

IMO, versatility isn't the best characteristic of a guitar. For example, if you want a guitar to sound like a strat, then tapped humbuckers just won't sound the same.

If you are just looking for a guitar that can play multiple types of music and you aren't so concerned about having a particular "strat" or "LP" type tone, then check out a PRS Custom or Mira. Both having tons of options and the single coil split tones sound pretty good.

I gig a Strat 90% of the time, but when I need to play a gig where we will cover anything from Casting Crowns to Southern Gospel, I will take my PRS Custom 22.

Check out a Tele too. You can get that classic single coil tone, but the bridge pickup can sound pretty beefy when needed for harder music.
Unread 07-06-2011, 02:36 AM   #30
Hey, I can change this!!!

two weeks ago I'd have agreed with the folks above saying that it's the player not the instrument, all guitarists are snobs and only THIER fav model will do the job, and that most non musos are cloth eared idiots who can't tell the difference anyway.......

but

I just got a variax.

WOW that thing is versatile!!!!

and with the POD XTLive floor board?

good grief!

luthier blog

Soundclick Developing Worship forum
Closed Thread