Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:08 PM   #151
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyo View Post
I thought for sure you mentioned you play an ESP Stat copy.
The ESP is but one of a bunch of guitars I own.

Quote:
I really don't have a beef with Godin.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-16-2011, 11:29 PM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireCat

"Neck pup switch"?

Chesh
Ya, I didn't word that very well, lol. It's a $300 guitar, and then I switched out the neck pup for a P90ish single coil, which gave me great versatility.
Unread 09-17-2011, 12:09 AM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
The ESP is but one of a bunch of guitars I own.

You're taking it kind of personaly ain't cha?
Unread 09-17-2011, 12:40 AM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez_dude View Post
Ya, I didn't word that very well, lol. It's a $300 guitar, and then I switched out the neck pup for a P90ish single coil, which gave me great versatility.
Ah.

I thought you were alluding to a "neck-on" switch, which is a common mod for strats, to give you the N+B option, which you normally can't do on a strat.

So, daddyo, tell us again about the guitar that "looks cool, plays like butter and has an awesome grunt," and is "kind of a cross between a Les Paul and a Strat". Again, it looks like a cross between a Les Paul and a Strat or sounds like one?

Chesh

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
Unread 09-17-2011, 01:58 AM   #155
major 4th to a minor 4th

Daddyo, what about a Godin fat strat? Is it still not right, in which case, is it something about non-big brands? The problem is that the kind of quality you get in terms of build quality and finish to the body, neck and frets on cheap big brand guitars puts them sometimes in the same category as very cheap guitars.

I know a lot if people talk about agile and xavier guitars as having a lot of bang for buck, but it comes back down to their guitars being based on other designs.

The one thing I would take exception to is the idea that a guitar that is US made automatically makes it a higher quality guitar.
Unread 09-17-2011, 02:52 AM   #156
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
I would say vastly different. I feel stupid everytime I pick up a Godin kind of like the feeling I get picking up a First Act.
Better pickups, finish, construction and materials.

personally, I don't like their neck profiles as well as some others. but the simple fact is, objectively they are one of the best made mass produced guitars out there, period. I play a host of types of guitars.

I own a Ric, an MIJ Ibanez, Gibson LP custom, ES-300, Melody maker with P-90, a PRS and quite a few other notably fine guitars. Supposedly, several of my guitars were used on several platinum albums by household name artists. I own an Art & Lutherie, and a seagull acoustic, and have played several godins, honestly, they are absolutely on par with many gibsons and MIA fenders for far less.

And I might add, First Act even makes some mighty nice guitars in their artist custom shop.

My Life.
Unread 09-17-2011, 03:49 AM   #157

You guys have convinced me. I'm gonna sell all my usless crap and get Godin stuff.
Unread 09-17-2011, 03:54 AM   #158
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
You guys have convinced me. I'm gonna sell all my usless crap and get Godin stuff.
Not the intent. Godin is just a quite solid company.

My Life.
Unread 09-17-2011, 06:14 AM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecasting View Post
Daddyo, what about a Godin fat strat? Is it still not right, in which case, is it something about non-big brands? The problem is that the kind of quality you get in terms of build quality and finish to the body, neck and frets on cheap big brand guitars puts them sometimes in the same category as very cheap guitars.

I know a lot if people talk about agile and xavier guitars as having a lot of bang for buck, but it comes back down to their guitars being based on other designs.

The one thing I would take exception to is the idea that a guitar that is US made automatically makes it a higher quality guitar.
I don't own MIA gear not even acoustic gear. Most American companies have moved overseas and the parts that remain are way out of my price range of what I am willing to pay. I have owned several MIJ Squier Strat and couldn't tell the difference from the MIA at about a third the price. I think Quality and design are important but to pay triple for something that says Made in USA is foolish. I remember the quality of Fender stuff in the 60's and 70's and I have to say the newer stuff is a lot better. Things like fit and finish have become more perfect and tighter. I wouldn't think of buying vintage but I'm not a collecter. As much as I dislike Fender and Gibson their designs are some thig I have grown acustom to. Shecter, Ibanez, Godin, Dean and ESP are not anything I am used to.
Unread 09-17-2011, 07:59 AM   #160

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
FWIW, most of daddyo's complaints about Godin are things I feel about PRS at any given time.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 09-17-2011, 07:59 AM   #161
...more machine than man.

Quote:
That's not the intent....we're just a bit shocked that someone could be so down on a particular company that we all, almost to a man, feel is one of the better mass producers out there. If I were to say, "I'd rather play a yamaha than a PRS anyday of the week. I'd have to be pretty desperate to play on a PRS," you'd be shocked too.

By all means, have the opinions you want. I have a nearly irrational dislike of Taylor, Breedlove, and Ibanez.

Add me on FaceBook

Unread 09-17-2011, 08:14 AM   #162
Geezer
Administrator

paid
I've toyed around with a couple of First Act guitars. They play just as good, if not better, than the similarly priced Squiers.

Just saying.

Unread 09-17-2011, 08:24 AM   #163

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Role Modlin View Post
I've toyed around with a couple of First Act guitars. They play just as good, if not better, than the similarly priced Squiers.

Just saying.

Is this an endorsement or a condemnation?

I'm a podcaster
Unread 09-17-2011, 09:45 AM   #164
Geezer
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
Is this an endorsement or a condemnation?
Good one.

Honestly...I'd buy $125 First Act before I'd buy a $125 Squier.

First Act makes some custom guitars that top $2000-$3000.

Brad Whitford (Aerosmith) plays one.
Unread 09-17-2011, 10:29 AM   #165

No thanks guys, You go ahead with your First Act and Godin and I'll stick to my Fenders and Epiphone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
FWIW, most of daddyo's complaints about Godin are things I feel about PRS at any given time.

I didn't know that PRS made a bass but go ahead and avoid them if you don't like them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B.Nichols View Post
That's not the intent....we're just a bit shocked that someone could be so down on a particular company that we all, almost to a man, feel is one of the better mass producers out there. If I were to say, "I'd rather play a yamaha than a PRS anyday of the week. I'd have to be pretty desperate to play on a PRS," you'd be shocked too.

By all means, have the opinions you want. I have a nearly irrational dislike of Taylor, Breedlove, and Ibanez.
OK what is the intent?

Last edited by thesteve; 09-17-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Closed Thread