Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Automotive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-19-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
Grit 'n Grind

Need a gas saver

Ok, here's the deal. I own a truck (2001 F150 V6, 5spd). I use the truck, as a truck (hauling and pulling) all Summer and quite often the rest of the year. However, from August to May, I teach high school, which requires a half hour drive every weekday morning. It's breaking me, getting 15-17mpg.

The problem is that my truck has very very little resale value. Due to 172k miles,some underbody rust, check engine light issues, and a severely screwed up Parking Break (it's a manual), I could get maybe $3500.

I would try to get a smaller truck instead, but the price of those have doubled in recent years, so I figure my cheapest option is to buy a used commuter vehicle just for gas mileage purposes. Super cheap, say under $3,000. Preferably closer to 2000. I've heard good things about Toyotas from the early 90s. Thoughts?

Unread 06-20-2011, 09:31 AM   #2
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
I just paid $2800 for a '90 Mazda Miata in excellent shape.
It gets upwards of 38mpg and is a serious kick to drive.
My other car is an '01 Dodge Neon w/ 140k miles and it has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned in almost 30 years of driving. Also gets 38mpg on the highway.

The key, to me, to buying anything used that's good is to try to limit it to a one-owner vehicle. A car that's changed hands a few times seems prone to being monkeyed with too much and may have a dubious service history.
Check craigslist, drive around your neighborhoods and check the Auto Trader (traderonline.com) for what's available in your market. Toyotas can be good and they can be bad, just like any other car. Always ask to see if the current owner has any maintenance history.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2011, 11:37 AM   #3
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Dave's suggestions are both good. I would suspect that most vehicles with good mpg from that time are going to around the price you're looking or lower (Civic, Corolla, Neon should be around $3K with offerings from Chevy, Kia, Saturn and Hyundai probably being lower).

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2011, 05:44 PM   #4
Grit 'n Grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
I
The key, to me, to buying anything used that's good is to try to limit it to a one-owner vehicle. A car that's changed hands a few times seems prone to being monkeyed with too much and may have a dubious service history.
Check craigslist, drive around your neighborhoods and check the Auto Trader (traderonline.com) for what's available in your market. Toyotas can be good and they can be bad, just like any other car. Always ask to see if the current owner has any maintenance history.
That's probably the best advice I've been given so far, to look for a one owner vehicle.
For the record, the Memphis area is infamous for having lousy craigslist ads and classifieds. Driving around neighborhoods is probably a better idea. Well, there are some neighborhoods in Memphis I wouldn't drive around, but anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
Dave's suggestions are both good. I would suspect that most vehicles with good mpg from that time are going to around the price you're looking or lower (Civic, Corolla, Neon should be around $3K with offerings from Chevy, Kia, Saturn and Hyundai probably being lower).
The Civics I've seen for under $3K have over 300,000 miles on them. I know I'm asking a lot, but I'm really hesitant to buy a car with over 300K miles. Saturns have strange prices. It seems to confirm my suspicions that Saturn Owners are nuts. You will see virtually identical cars with virtually identical mileage priced two to three thousand dollars different around here.

I'm not seeing many Corollas, but a surprising number of Celicas from the early nineties, with the same 4 cyl engine.
Unread 06-20-2011, 05:52 PM   #5
Support Southern Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandrew View Post
The Civics I've seen for under $3K have over 300,000 miles on them. I know I'm asking a lot, but I'm really hesitant to buy a car with over 300K miles. Saturns have strange prices. It seems to confirm my suspicions that Saturn Owners are nuts. You will see virtually identical cars with virtually identical mileage priced two to three thousand dollars different around here.

I'm not seeing many Corollas, but a surprising number of Celicas from the early nineties, with the same 4 cyl engine.
As a saturn owner, watch it.... Hehe
Unread 06-20-2011, 06:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by normajean777 View Post
As a saturn owner, watch it.... Hehe
My parents were Saturn owners; they owned 2 different SL2s, an LS200 and an LW300.
Hardly trouble-free, they did get their money's worth from the factory warranty. I drove the LW300 for a short while after my mom passed away and it was by all accounts a very nice car for what it was.
The 3.0 dohc engine was a beast, imho.

Classic Honda and Toyota reliability have caused their resale values to be stupid expensive, imho. Subaru, otoh, still fly below most people's radar and when we were shopping for our Forester I saw a lot of Imprezas with just over 100k miles sell for sub-$4k.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
Unread 06-20-2011, 07:11 PM   #7
Grit 'n Grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
Classic Honda and Toyota reliability have caused their resale values to be stupid expensive, imho. Subaru, otoh, still fly below most people's radar and when we were shopping for our Forester I saw a lot of Imprezas with just over 100k miles sell for sub-$4k.
How's the gas mileage on an Impreza? Anyone here own one? I've ridden in a few Subarus, with no real complaints.
Unread 06-20-2011, 07:32 PM   #8
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
From what I understand from when I was car-shopping and looking at Imprezas, it depends on the engine and which model you get (hatchback vs. non-), but you're probably looking at a minimum of mid-20s?

Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!
DaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2011, 07:56 PM   #9
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:

That's a bummer. I wonder if that's a big regional thing.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2011, 08:51 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to bread man Send a message via MSN to bread man
I have a 1998 Mazda 121 that I bought in excellent shape for $3500 Australian (which is about as low as you can expect to pay for a usable car here). I'm not sure what the US equivalent model would be but it's given me absolutely no problems in the 18 months I've had it and it's amazingly good on fuel. I bought it from a lady who had bought it from its only owner. She'd only had it for 6 months and had barely driven it, because she'd bought it for her son to learn in but ended up needing the money.
Unread 06-20-2011, 08:58 PM   #11
Grit 'n Grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by bread man View Post
I have a 1998 Mazda 121 that I bought in excellent shape for $3500 Australian (which is about as low as you can expect to pay for a usable car here). I'm not sure what the US equivalent model would be but it's given me absolutely no problems in the 18 months I've had it and it's amazingly good on fuel. I bought it from a lady who had bought it from its only owner. She'd only had it for 6 months and had barely driven it, because she'd bought it for her son to learn in but ended up needing the money.
Closest thing I found on Wikipedia to a Mazda 121 was a Ford Festiva, which I'm not sure I've ever heard of.
Unread 06-20-2011, 09:04 PM   #12

Quote:
How's the gas mileage on an Impreza? Anyone here own one? I've ridden in a few Subarus, with no real complaints.
We get 22 to 27 out of our Forester.
An Impreza is a bit lighter and bit more aero, so mid-20s to 30+ highway should be the norm on a non-turbo model.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
Unread 06-30-2011, 06:57 PM   #13
Deets Go Here

Quote:
Closest thing I found on Wikipedia to a Mazda 121 was a Ford Festiva, which I'm not sure I've ever heard of.
A Ford Feista is close to a Geo Metro. At least they were in the older years. Two of my uncles each had one. They were small and very compact, but they got good gas mileage.

Follow my ramblings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer.
Your mother appears to have been infected by Kentl.
bravesfan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 08:14 PM   #14

Motorcycle?

youtube
facebook
cd baby
Unread 07-04-2011, 06:22 PM   #15

Quote:
It was sold as the Ford Aspire name in the North American market (AFAIK, no Mazda badged version was sold in the US).
Rom. 12:21; Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.
funkStrat_97 is offline   Reply With Quote