Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Automotive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-12-2012, 01:01 AM   #16
Saved sinner

If you would like something different than go for the classic VW Beetle or Karman Ghia (both above 30 mpg) older VW Golf or Rabbit from '80's and '90's should be around 40mpg except GTI's. Ford Festiva is around 40 mpg, Subaru Justy is above 40 mpg. Or even early '90's Mercedes-Benz 190 with the 1.9 engine will set you close to 40 mpg. All these are available in your price range in good to fair condition.

Sponsored Links
Unread 07-12-2012, 06:41 AM   #17
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Hmmm...interesting suggestions.
The old Beetle et al have been dying off due to a) rust and b) air-cooled engines only last so long.
Subaru Justy...I haven't seen one of those in decades. They weren't an example of Subie's finest hour...
The Merc 190 series were disposable cars at best. Mostly junk and one of the reasons that Mercedes lost a lot of respect as a marque several years back. I would never buy one nor suggest anyone one else should either.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 08:53 AM   #18
Saved sinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
Hmmm...interesting suggestions.
The old Beetle et al have been dying off due to a) rust and b) air-cooled engines only last so long.
Subaru Justy...I haven't seen one of those in decades. They weren't an example of Subie's finest hour...
The Merc 190 series were disposable cars at best. Mostly junk and one of the reasons that Mercedes lost a lot of respect as a marque several years back. I would never buy one nor suggest anyone one else should either.
I'm seeing plenty of old Beetles in here and I know a lot of people who have over 200.000 miles on them...and the aircooled boxer engine is easy to maintain, easy to fix and inexpensive fix. Other person I know is driving Ford Festiva for 10 years and they are happy with it. I don't know about Justy, but the topic is talking about less expensive gas saving cars. And even MB was loosing their reputation in '90ies models before 1990 are still trustworthy. And what about older Golfs (Rabbit back in days)? I think this is a question of taste. I do like classic cars so Beetle is my pick, but I'm sure that our brother can safely go with a older Honda Civic, 4 cyl Accord, Cxr, or any car with a 4 cylinder engine with smaller displacement than 2000cc and a 2 wheel drive.

Good luck
Unread 07-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #19
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
I do still see a few older Rabbits around, but even they are reducing in numbers due to rust and high mileage.

As much as I don't like them, the '90s Civics are still standing the test of time better than most other similar vintage cars.
You can still get lucky with the odd 1st gen Dodge/Plymouth Neon, too. A 5 speed version will get 40mpg easily and they're roomy inside for a compact.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #20
Saved sinner

Exactly any small displacement 4 cylinder and 2 wheel drive should take you to 40 mpg.
Unread 01-21-2013, 12:41 AM   #21
Banned

Hello frends
I have maruti's alto 800 car and a LPG gas kit in it .I want to saving gas and also my car engine please tel me batter way for it.
Swagaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #22
recovering user

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
I completely and totally disagree. Having played with more than a few 80's to 90's German cars, the 190 base-model crappiness that we got here in the states was a fairly mediocre car. I still see many around, and most last a good long while if properly maintained. The lack of rack/pinion steering and the hydraulic suspension were the major letdowns.

The Cosworth 190E (which we also got in the states in limited numbers) is a fantastic car, that has a cult-following similar to the E30 M3. The Evo II and Evo III versions that were not sold here were brilliant. Late 80's and early 90's DTM was absolutely dominated by the 190E vs E30 M3 battle. The chassis was very capable when proper suspension bits were added, and Cosworth knows how to build engines.

As is the case with most European things, most owners failed (and still fail) to properly maintain their vehicles. A German sport-sedan cannot be treated like an Civic without being expected to lash out at the owner with a selection of high-dollar fixes that likely could have been prevented.

mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote