Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-09-2011, 10:02 PM   #1

How to make acoustic drums softer....hot rods?

hi......i play drums for church, and i was wondering if using hot rods would lower the volume, instead of using the drum shield (we r kinda low budget)

are these a good choice?

Unread 05-09-2011, 10:05 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Hot Rods lower the volume somewhat. Not all drummers like them. There is also a product (IIRC) called Cool Rods that are basically Hot Rods but designed for more energy dispersion, making them even quieter.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 11:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
Hot Rods lower the volume somewhat. Not all drummers like them. There is also a product (IIRC) called Cool Rods that are basically Hot Rods but designed for more energy dispersion, making them even quieter.
would using hot rods be good for acoustic drums with no mics in a church that is like 30x60?
Unread 05-09-2011, 11:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderboss7 View Post
would using hot rods be good for acoustic drums with no mics in a church that is like 30x60?
If traditional sticks are too loud and your drummer can't control himself enough, it might be worth looking into.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 05-10-2011, 11:48 AM   #5

Quote:
If traditional sticks are too loud and your drummer can't control himself enough, it might be worth looking into.
have u ever used those,??
Unread 05-10-2011, 11:53 AM   #6

Quote:
have u ever used those,??
I've used Hot rods, but honestly I'm not the best person to get an opinion from on stick types. I'm not particularly picky when it comes to sticks because I'm not a drummer.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 05-10-2011, 12:14 PM   #7

Quote:
I've used Hot rods, but honestly I'm not the best person to get an opinion from on stick types. I'm not particularly picky when it comes to sticks because I'm not a drummer.
oh....okay

thanks
Unread 05-10-2011, 02:53 PM   #8
Okagesama de genki desu

I like hot rods, but they are a very different feel, sound and vibe from sticks. They don't just make it quieter they change the whole sound and the way you play; sort of inbetween sticks and brushes.
Unread 05-10-2011, 04:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolis4 View Post
I like hot rods, but they are a very different feel, sound and vibe from sticks. They don't just make it quieter they change the whole sound and the way you play; sort of inbetween sticks and brushes.
i should just get a pair just to have in my stick bag...
hah
thanks
Unread 05-12-2011, 11:03 AM   #10
Okagesama de genki desu

Quote:
i should just get a pair just to have in my stick bag...
hah
thanks
Good idea

It's one of those things every drummer should have in their stick bag
Unread 05-12-2011, 11:28 AM   #11
Hey ya'll, watch this!

I've used them on acoustic gigs. They do bring down the volume. There is a different feel to them. Since I've played lots with brushes it wasn't such a leap to get used to them.

The hardest thing in the world for a drummer to learn is how to play quietly. It's just not in our nature. Hot Rods will help but it's not a substitute for learning to play with a lighter touch. Of course this light touch changes almost everything about a drummer's sound and that's a problem, too. I've seen some cymbals that just stink on ice if you use a light touch.

We had to finally break down and buy a set of electronic house drums. Hate 'em. They feel dead and cheap. But they do keep the volume down to a controllable level. That's the best solution but not exactly the most inexpensive.
jeepnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 12:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnstein View Post
I've used them on acoustic gigs. They do bring down the volume. There is a different feel to them. Since I've played lots with brushes it wasn't such a leap to get used to them.

The hardest thing in the world for a drummer to learn is how to play quietly. It's just not in our nature. Hot Rods will help but it's not a substitute for learning to play with a lighter touch. Of course this light touch changes almost everything about a drummer's sound and that's a problem, too. I've seen some cymbals that just stink on ice if you use a light touch.

We had to finally break down and buy a set of electronic house drums. Hate 'em. They feel dead and cheap. But they do keep the volume down to a controllable level. That's the best solution but not exactly the most inexpensive.
yeah i know

i have acoustic drums now, and we use that now......................i don't like them either, and our worship leader, wants to use acoustics because there is more dynamics, and has a greater effect, if you could control the volume......
Unread 06-10-2011, 09:54 AM   #13

For a room that small, acoustics can be tough if your drummer can't control himself. Hotrods are a good option, but it affects your drumming a little. Not quite the bounce, so your double strokes, flams and paradiddles etc... will feel different which may affect your timing.

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdOgE5k1X0w

Our Ivy League schools teach that morality is relative. And then when the graduates practice on Wall Street what we teach them in class, we put them behind bars. - (Ravi Zacharias paraphrased)

Born to die. Born again to live.

In the quest for historically accurate musings of great men, no creation has bestowed more frustration upon its creator than the internet. Thomas Jefferson (1877)
mikegug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drum, hot rods, sticks