Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-08-2011, 11:56 AM   #16
I'm a girl. And a Bassist
 
JesusFreakGirl's Avatar
 

Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Blizzarding North Dakota
Posts: 1,903
I'm a bassist, so naturally the drummer is my best friend and he's right behind me on our stage. Our church made the switch to an electric drumset about nine months ago. I hated it at first. All I hear behind me it a tapping. It was annoying. But I've grown past that. I don't have any problems anymore. (note that we use in ear monitors and I can adjust my monitor to hear what I want to hear and how much I want from each person in the band, so I can control what I hear from the drums) When we made the switch it was hard for the drummers to adjust, but now they like it because people in the congregation aren't complaining when the drums are "too loud" because there's more control at the soundboard. Also, we got a high end eletric set, so it doesn't sound electric. It sounds legit. And there's hundreds of settings and even more that we can download. And it looks like a real trap set. I also like that I don't feel like I'm going deaf with the drums behind me. Now that I'm used to the electric set, I don't miss the acoustic one. And our drummers like it too. It was just an adjustment, and once we realized that it was better in the mix, being able to control it just like we can control all the other instruments, we welcomed it with open arms. We have a better balance in the house now.

__________________
If I'm Not Making Music,
I'm Painting It.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork
is it sad that im almost more excited for mountian dew than skillet?

youre getting apocolypsed cuz you have too many guns.
JesusFreakGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-08-2011, 01:29 PM   #17
Registered User
 
fenderboss7's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 157
before.....did you guys use a clear plastic sound wall thingy...(i don't know the technical term)?
__________________
i ask questions....
fenderboss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 01:47 PM   #18
I'm a girl. And a Bassist
 
JesusFreakGirl's Avatar
 

Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Blizzarding North Dakota
Posts: 1,903
Yes, we did.
__________________
If I'm Not Making Music,
I'm Painting It.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork
is it sad that im almost more excited for mountian dew than skillet?

youre getting apocolypsed cuz you have too many guns.
JesusFreakGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 02:04 PM   #19
Heaven isn't too far away
 
gtrdave's Avatar
 

Joined: Dec 2004
Location: The First State
Posts: 6,730
Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderboss7 View Post
how do you guys hook up the electric drums to the sound system?
2 1/4" unbalanced cables going to the end of the snake via 1/4-to-xlr transformers.
We're using a Roland TD4SX kit and I installed extra floor tom and high hat mounts on each side to accommodate our 2 drummers, one left handed and one right, without having to take the legs off of the stand every time we switch.

I and one of the drummers have tuned the kit to where it sounds acceptable for what it is, but it's still nothing like a real acoustic kit.

FYI: we use a ClearSonic shield for our acoustic kit (older Pearl Export, Evans heads, Sabian cymbals) upstairs and I run mics on the kick, snare and 2 overheads.
__________________
Lead, follow and get out of the way.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #20
I'm a girl. And a Bassist
 
JesusFreakGirl's Avatar
 

Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Blizzarding North Dakota
Posts: 1,903
This is our electric drum set: Buy Pearl E-Pro Live Electronic Acoustic Drum Set | Complete Electronic Drum Sets | Musician's Friend
__________________
If I'm Not Making Music,
I'm Painting It.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork
is it sad that im almost more excited for mountian dew than skillet?

youre getting apocolypsed cuz you have too many guns.
JesusFreakGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 02:32 PM   #21
Heaven isn't too far away
 
gtrdave's Avatar
 

Joined: Dec 2004
Location: The First State
Posts: 6,730
Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusFreakGirl View Post
I saw that kit being advertised recently.
Does it sound like an acoustic kit? Is it as loud as one?
$3k is not a bad price at all if it does what they say it does.
__________________
Lead, follow and get out of the way.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #22
I'm a girl. And a Bassist
 
JesusFreakGirl's Avatar
 

Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Blizzarding North Dakota
Posts: 1,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
I saw that kit being advertised recently.
Does it sound like an acoustic kit? Is it as loud as one?
$3k is not a bad price at all if it does what they say it does.
It does exactly what it says it does - you just have to learn how to use it. And its pretty simple. You can get the sound and volume you desire from it.
__________________
If I'm Not Making Music,
I'm Painting It.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork
is it sad that im almost more excited for mountian dew than skillet?

youre getting apocolypsed cuz you have too many guns.
JesusFreakGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 04:35 PM   #23
Xcelerate.
 
gopats1479's Avatar
 

Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 508
My church uses a Roland TD-7 kit that I've kinda reconfigured. We run it mono through a DI.
gopats1479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 05:32 PM   #24
Registered User
 
fenderboss7's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
2 1/4" unbalanced cables going to the end of the snake via 1/4-to-xlr transformers.
so are the 2 1/4" cables in the R and L inputs on the drum module?

do they go into the snake with separate xlr adapters for both?
__________________
i ask questions....
fenderboss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 08:15 AM   #25
Heaven isn't too far away
 
gtrdave's Avatar
 

Joined: Dec 2004
Location: The First State
Posts: 6,730
Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderboss7 View Post
so are the 2 1/4" cables in the R and L inputs on the drum module?

do they go into the snake with separate xlr adapters for both?
The 1/4" ends come out of the L and R outputs of the drum module and then into the two 1/4-to-XLR transformers. The transformers act as a mini-DI box and properly convert an unbalanced signal to a balanced signal, which is what the mixer ultimately needs to receive.
We use two mixer channels for the drums and assign them to one of the four sub-mix groups so that they can be controlled via 1 fader and independent of all other instruments and the vocals.
__________________
Lead, follow and get out of the way.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #26
Registered User
 
fenderboss7's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 157
yeah i got it now.....we just got our new sound system, and i was able to hook it up......
thanks
__________________
i ask questions....
fenderboss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2011, 06:57 AM   #27
Okagesama de genki desu
 
metropolis4's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Aurora, Not just a place...
Posts: 2,570
Acoustic pros:
They respond to your touch, you can pull so many different sounds depending on how you play them
Better control of dynamics
They sound like real drums
9 times out of 10 your drummer will play better and sound better on an acoustic set than electric

Acoustic cons:
Inexperienced drummers may have difficulty controlling their volume
No electric sound options

Electric drums pros:
sound guy can control volume for inexperienced drummers
access to electric drum sounds


Electric drum cons:
they don't feel or respond right, especially the cymballs and toms
they don't sound anything like real drums
9 times out of 10 your drummer won't play as well or sound as good playing them
they don't allow as much expression, or dynamics from the player

I can't stand electric drums. They don't feel right, they don't respond right, they don't sound right, you can't pull the same sounds out of them you get from an acoustic set, you get the occasional odd sounds where you intended to hit one sound, but the vibrations trigger a rim or something else, the bass drum trigger is always spotty at best. They're especially horrendous to play if you come from a jazz background, or any other drumming background where you are used to using lots of ghost notes and fill; the electric drums make this stuff sound weird and too present because they're not responsive enough, so you end up having to change your whole style to play them and it makes if feel wrong and uncomfortable.

For guitar players, imagine that instead of using your guitar you had to use a keyboard to play your guitar parts one day. You would technically be able to hit all the same notes, but it would feel awkward trying to hit keys instead of fret strings, and you would lose the ability to use all the subtle technique you know with the guitar, and you would lose the control you had over the notes. It would feel foreign and you would have to change your whole style to accomodate which would make you uncomfortable and would make you play worse. That's what electric drums do to drummers.
__________________
Is bold the right word?
metropolis4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2011, 07:46 PM   #28
Registered User
 
fenderboss7's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolis4 View Post
Acoustic pros:
They respond to your touch, you can pull so many different sounds depending on how you play them
Better control of dynamics
They sound like real drums
9 times out of 10 your drummer will play better and sound better on an acoustic set than electric

Acoustic cons:
Inexperienced drummers may have difficulty controlling their volume
No electric sound options

Electric drums pros:
sound guy can control volume for inexperienced drummers
access to electric drum sounds


Electric drum cons:
they don't feel or respond right, especially the cymballs and toms
they don't sound anything like real drums
9 times out of 10 your drummer won't play as well or sound as good playing them
they don't allow as much expression, or dynamics from the player

I can't stand electric drums. They don't feel right, they don't respond right, they don't sound right, you can't pull the same sounds out of them you get from an acoustic set, you get the occasional odd sounds where you intended to hit one sound, but the vibrations trigger a rim or something else, the bass drum trigger is always spotty at best. They're especially horrendous to play if you come from a jazz background, or any other drumming background where you are used to using lots of ghost notes and fill; the electric drums make this stuff sound weird and too present because they're not responsive enough, so you end up having to change your whole style to play them and it makes if feel wrong and uncomfortable.

For guitar players, imagine that instead of using your guitar you had to use a keyboard to play your guitar parts one day. You would technically be able to hit all the same notes, but it would feel awkward trying to hit keys instead of fret strings, and you would lose the ability to use all the subtle technique you know with the guitar, and you would lose the control you had over the notes. It would feel foreign and you would have to change your whole style to accomodate which would make you uncomfortable and would make you play worse. That's what electric drums do to drummers.
would u rather have an entry level drum kit, rather than an expensive electric?
__________________
i ask questions....
fenderboss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 07:09 AM   #29
Okagesama de genki desu
 
metropolis4's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Aurora, Not just a place...
Posts: 2,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderboss7 View Post
would u rather have an entry level drum kit, rather than an expensive electric?
Any day of the week

Give me a cheap set with a good set of heads and I'll be good to go. I'd take a Percussion Plus set over the most expensive set of electric drums out there.
__________________
Is bold the right word?
metropolis4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #30
Registered User
 
fenderboss7's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 157
i would love to get acoustic drums
__________________
i ask questions....
fenderboss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
acoustic, drums, electronic

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:49 PM.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2