Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-30-2011, 03:51 AM   #1
[Clever Words Here]

What are Voice Lessons like?

I did a half semester of choir senior year (3 years ago now), but that doesn't really count in my book.
That's my official, public singing experience.... I was a bass btw.

So I've been thinking of taking some voice lessons so I could be more independent as a musician and not rely necessarily on others to sing what lyrics I come up with.

That said, what are voice lessons like? Does it vary? I guess I ask because I want to be a normal singer, not a choir singer or an opera singer. haha. I guess I just want to learn how to control my voice, how to strengthen it, and how to mold it. And breathing. Maybe opera practice will help that. And maybe that's applicable to normal singing?

I really like Sufjan Stevens and even though I was a bass in HS, I think my range has gone up a little. But I'm not really sure. Also Frightened Rabbit seems to be around my range, give or take some high parts (See: YouTube - frightened rabbit - the modern leper , YouTube - Frightened Rabbit- Floating in the Forth ...One 'bad' word in the first one). This is what I'm talking about when I say "normal singing."

I'd also like to develop my falsetto which I use a lot just in my day to day.

Thoughts/Experiences?

Ethan.Bassist. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #2

Well it does vary but typically how it works is, once u find a good vocal coach (i can help u find one), you schedule a lesson (be it local or on skype) and generally the first lesson consists of them hearing u sing and then creating a 'lesson plan' for your voice and vocal problems/habits.
G-A-Nator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 01:35 AM   #3

I took some vocal lessons from Ken Tamplin through Skype and he showed me exactly what I was doing wrong and gave me the correct methods to break my plateau. Controlling your breath, posture, how you move you jaw even makes a ton of difference.
zion2690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 07:26 AM   #4

Sweet i love kens teaching never personally met him but i love his youtube vids and of course his voice. O and livin for my lord is a killer song haha
Unread 04-18-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Let dead threads stay dead.

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 11:02 AM   #6

Lol well this was the last thread posted on the vocal forum so i thought his was recent i didnt see the date until after i posted lol