Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Theology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-25-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
Taster of Pork!

Learning about Islam...

I decided to make a different thread on this because I felt like starting a new topic.

Years ago, I remember I posted a thread 'refuting Islam'. Unfortunately, it turned out the information I've posted was faulty, and had Rod Parsley's foul stench on it.

I've tried doing some research on Islam online, and I've discovered that:

-the doctrine rejects 'original sin' based off Psalm 51:5.
-the Quran rejects the notion that we're responsible for the crucifixition of Christ.
-there's a denial of the resurrection that took place on the 3rd day.
-encourage that Jesus is coming back

source:
answeringchristianity.org
The Facts About Islam: Does Psalm 51:5 Teach Original Sin

I thought I'd do this so I could try true research on Islam and learn some things about it. The point of the thread is to discuss the topic of Islam and compare it to what's said about Christianity.

I can tell the first distinction between the two is that Jesus said he is the way, the truth and the life; John 14:6. I'm not saying that Christianity is the only way, I'm saying that a relationship with Jesus is the only way.

Comments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
Know him? He was delicious!!
JerRocks2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-25-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
is probably a Phantasm

Send a message via AIM to acrossthesirion
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerRocks2day View Post
I decided to make a different thread on this because I felt like starting a new topic.

Years ago, I remember I posted a thread 'refuting Islam'. Unfortunately, it turned out the information I've posted was faulty, and had Rod Parsley's foul stench on it.

I've tried doing some research on Islam online, and I've discovered that:

-the doctrine rejects 'original sin' based off Psalm 51:5.
-the Quran rejects the notion that we're responsible for the crucifixition of Christ.
-there's a denial of the resurrection that took place on the 3rd day.
-encourage that Jesus is coming back

source:
answeringchristianity.org
The Facts About Islam: Does Psalm 51:5 Teach Original Sin

I thought I'd do this so I could try true research on Islam and learn some things about it. The point of the thread is to discuss the topic of Islam and compare it to what's said about Christianity.

I can tell the first distinction between the two is that Jesus said he is the way, the truth and the life; John 14:6. I'm not saying that Christianity is the only way, I'm saying that a relationship with Jesus is the only way.

Comments?
Islam's attitude towards Christianity (although varied throughout history) has to do with its self-understanding in terms of revelation.

Early on, Muhammed was hopeful that Christians (and Jews) would accept him as a legitimate prophet of God. When that didn't pan out, the attitude shifted to one of correction. The Hebrew Bible and New Testament were, for Islam, corrupted texts. Although they contained partial truths, humans had masked the full truth, which is why the Qur'an was necessary. In Islam, Jesus is a prophet, but not he son of God, who true teachings (Islam) have been changed by his followers.

That said, under Islamic law, Christians are considered 'people of the book' and are supposed to have a semi-protected status.
Unread 01-25-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
Taster of Pork!

So the Islamic doctrine believes that Jesus' teachings were changed by his followers?
Quote:
Unread 01-25-2011, 04:59 PM   #4
is probably a Phantasm

Quote:
So the Islamic doctrine believes that Jesus' teachings were changed by his followers?
Yeah, the New Testament has been corrupted, and while it may contain some partial truths, the Qur'an is complete truth.
Unread 01-25-2011, 05:06 PM   #5
Taster of Pork!

Gotcha now.

I'm not really too surprised of this because of what Jesus spoke of in Matthews 24. I'm going off topic a bit because I want to bring up what he spoke of in that passage.

Jesus said that in the last days that there will be men claiming to be the Christ or the messiah. The Koran claims that it's corrupted and yet, evidently, we see people all over the world claiming to be Jesus or the messiah. Not to mention that there's false prophets giving false hopes and messages.

IMO, that's denying reality.

BTW, has the Koran ever mentioned signs of the end times? I know they believe in Judgement Day, but I'm concerned about what it says about the signs.
Quote:
Unread 01-25-2011, 05:25 PM   #6
is probably a Phantasm

Quote:
Gotcha now.

I'm not really too surprised of this because of what Jesus spoke of in Matthews 24. I'm going off topic a bit because I want to bring up what he spoke of in that passage.

Jesus said that in the last days that there will be men claiming to be the Christ or the messiah. The Koran claims that it's corrupted and yet, evidently, we see people all over the world claiming to be Jesus or the messiah. Not to mention that there's false prophets giving false hopes and messages.

IMO, that's denying reality.
Well, sort of but those things aren't really unique. Even if the Bible wasn't true, it isn't too far fetched to think that those things might happen. People do crazy things for hope.

Quote:
BTW, has the Koran ever mentioned signs of the end times? I know they believe in Judgement Day, but I'm concerned about what it says about the signs.
This I'm not as well versed in. Although there are some views that have Jesus involved in the end times as well.
Unread 01-25-2011, 05:31 PM   #7
Taster of Pork!

Yeah, as I said before that Jesus would return in his 2nd coming, I think.

Quote:
Well, sort of but those things aren't really unique. Even if the Bible wasn't true, it isn't too far fetched to think that those things might happen. People do crazy things for hope.
But Jesus said that it would happen, right? I mean, isn't that denying that Jesus spoke the truth about what would happen in the last days? I'm not promoting the rapture doctrine here, I'm just trying to point out that this happened in the Bible.
Quote:
Unread 01-25-2011, 05:37 PM   #8
is probably a Phantasm

Quote:
But Jesus said that it would happen, right? I mean, isn't that denying that Jesus spoke the truth about what would happen in the last days? I'm not promoting the rapture doctrine here, I'm just trying to point out that this happened in the Bible.
Sure, but Islam acknowledge the Bible has some truth it's just not complete. It's a fairly flexible position to take because you can point to passages that seem to agree with the Qur'an and say "Look, it's consistent," and with passages don't agree, you can just say they have been corrupted.

This is a different relationship than Christians want to claim with Judaism for example, where we take the Hebrew Bible as part of the Christian scripture.
Unread 01-28-2011, 01:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Thats awesome your learning that stuff as it can be very useful when talking with muslims. you never wanna be dumbfounded especially when theres people around.

I have a ton of stories where Christians walk away defeated and mocked.

Don't be that guy
1 John 3:22-24 is offline   Reply With Quote