Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Theology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-21-2011, 01:41 AM   #1

Do you think I should stop doing this?

X

Last edited by 1 John 3:22-24; 01-26-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-21-2011, 01:59 AM   #2
blessed beyond reason

Lucy?
Unread 01-21-2011, 02:03 AM   #3
:D

I think he means Lucifer (lucy-fer) Also, I don't think that's a safe idea. What happens if they say "OK fine, there's no god, so I'll do it just to prove you wrong" And they do it, and considering who it is we're talking about, something really bad happens, and they are killed, still unsaved?
In other words, to be safe, I think it probably is a good idea to stop.
Unread 01-21-2011, 04:26 AM   #4
My name is Oliver Queen.

paid
Don't encourage it at all. For several reasons:
1a. You're encouraging someone to take steps AWAY from God (whether or not it proves or disproves the supernatural).

1b. In the event of it proving the supernatural, they could easily be deluded into thinking that the devil is their god, thus making it harder for them to see the love and power of Jesus.

2. As said before, something could relate in their demise, or a serious injury/curse.

3. Satan isn't stupid. The devil's manipulative. If he worked out what they were doing that for, then nothing would probably happen. However, the use in itself, COULD allow for evil to be present in their lives outside of that incident.

Bass - Yamaha TRBX 505
Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon
Guitar Amp - Fender Mustang IV V2
Bass Amp - Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800A
Gear - Line 6 Helix, POD HD500X, Zoom G9.2tt, Zoom B9.1ut, Boss DD-20

Warning: This journal may contain diary

But He was pierced for our transgressions
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
And by His wounds we are healed.
Unread 01-21-2011, 07:00 AM   #5
Laborer/Philosopher

Yes, you should stop doing that. Assuming your plan were a good one, the smart move for your demonic adversary would in fact be to do nothing, because nothing would confirm this person's suspicions.

Generally speaking, I wouldn't recommend talking to some combative internet atheist who has sought you out just to fight with you. Trolls are not worth your time.

CGR Blog
Unread 01-21-2011, 03:33 PM   #6
transubstantiate life

I don't really put much stock in Ouija boards, etc, but that does seem like a pretty bad idea.

Check out my Blog!
Unread 01-21-2011, 08:55 PM   #7
still not a stale muffin.
Administrator

paid
i think it's an extremely bad idea.

when i was a kid, the popular thing to do was to turn off all the lights and stare into a mirror and chant "bloody mary." because the devil doesn't really exist, so nothing's going to happen, right?

this girl talked me into doing this (i was only about 5 or 6) and i saw something in the mirror (could've been my imagination, but i was terrified all the same), AND ended up with a scratch under my lip that bled. i didn't scratch myself, and the other girl was on the other side of a multi-stall bathroom manning the lightswitch and blocking the only door, so whether or not i saw something in the mirror, something did show up in that bathroom and i still have a scar to show for it.

you just don't mess with the occult. ever. if you open the door--even if you don't believe in God or the devil or spirits--they will walk through it.

dumb statement du jour: a stadium's like a big building, right?

let me entertain you!
Unread 01-23-2011, 01:02 AM   #8
[Clever Words Here]

I know how you feel man (edit: or woman lol, I realize your UN didn't imply a gender and I just assumed you were a dude. Which you might be lol). My last church got a pastor and the theology started getting twisted, really twisted, but I wasn't really aware of it at the time because it didn't seem that destructive, but looking back, I just kick myself sometimes, like "dang, I can't believe i was so naive to buy in to that."

Glad you came to the conclusion you did.

Last edited by Ethan.Bassist.; 01-23-2011 at 01:03 AM. Reason: sexism lol
Unread 01-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #9
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysostom View Post
Yes, you should stop doing that. Assuming your plan were a good one, the smart move for your demonic adversary would in fact be to do nothing, because nothing would confirm this person's suspicions.

Generally speaking, I wouldn't recommend talking to some combative internet atheist who has sought you out just to fight with you. Trolls are not worth your time.
Quoted for truth.

Also, calling Satan lucy seems rather foolish.

The supernatural is not a good realm to play with.

My Life.
Unread 01-24-2011, 09:36 AM   #10
recovering user

Rule of thumb: If you have to ask.....

I don't think it has anything to do with being 'PC' or not. Like Bill said, the supernatural is no trifling thing.
Unread 01-24-2011, 10:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Why do you say that, is it not pc or what? Its a joke in my circle and a funny one at that. You'd have to have been there. But next time I'm talking about fallout boy I'll show him a little more respect. Sound good? (insert sarcasm here).
I've went back of forth wondering if you were serious or just trolling around but this is really foolish. You do need to show some respect.

Jude 1[8] Likewise also these filthy dreamers defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities.
[9] Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.
[10] But these speak evil of those things which they know not: but what they know naturally, as brute beasts, in those things they corrupt themselves.
[11] Woe unto them! for they have gone in the way of Cain, and ran greedily after the error of Balaam for reward, and perished in the gainsaying of Core.

That is a pretty harsh passage, but the point I am making is that if Michael, the archangel, didn't dare to bring a railing accusation against the devil, then I suggest that you do show the proper respect.
Unread 01-24-2011, 10:39 AM   #12
blessed beyond reason

Not only that, but you never even mentioned the name of the One who gives you protection and authority over the enemy.
Unread 01-24-2011, 11:00 AM   #13
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlj009 View Post

That is a pretty harsh passage, but the point I am making is that if Michael, the archangel, didn't dare to bring a railing accusation against the devil, then I suggest that you do show the proper respect.
My thoughts exactly on the Jude passage.

You should only be trite about that which is trite, and Satan is no trifling matter. If archangels need to be respectful, how much more us mortals.

Disrespect of the supernatural is PC. Respect for your enemy and respect for the supernatural are not.

My Life.
Unread 01-24-2011, 12:03 PM   #14

In this world, the works of Satan are well-supported (some financial and some procedural), very real and very dangerous.

Trivializing Satan by calling him "lucy" certainly helps him.

I could write pages of accounts on how well-supported it is... it's beyond disturbing. It's a disturbance that most people can't appreciate. It shakes my soul, and I wish I didn't know 90% of it. Don't mess with it, and don't send others there. Satan will be there.

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdOgE5k1X0w

Our Ivy League schools teach that morality is relative. And then when the graduates practice on Wall Street what we teach them in class, we put them behind bars. - (Ravi Zacharias paraphrased)

Born to die. Born again to live.

In the quest for historically accurate musings of great men, no creation has bestowed more frustration upon its creator than the internet. Thomas Jefferson (1877)
Unread 01-24-2011, 12:18 PM   #15
not so bright

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 John 3:22-24 View Post
Why do you say that, is it not pc or what? Its a joke in my circle and a funny one at that. You'd have to have been there. But next time I'm talking about fallout boy I'll show him a little more respect. Sound good? (insert sarcasm here).
For a guy being humble enough to ask for advice on this situation it seems like you sure aren't taking it very well (by this statement) and to be quite honest this post seemed pretty rude. Bill is only reinforcing some pretty sound advice that has already been given to you. Sure, you're a Christian and you'll say that Satan has no power over you but that doesn't mean he can't tempt and try you.

It's like you're taking little jabs at the school bully in front of the teacher. The bully might not retaliate while you're both in front of the teacher but when the moment's right you're gonna get a bloody nose and a swirly.

Some of my gear.
Closed Thread