Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Bass
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-05-2010, 09:48 PM   #1

Exclamation help w/ bass!!

hey! just had a quick something to ask. does anyone know any bass RUNS OR SCALES that i can use off the A 5 freet on E string?i know 2 but they will not work and its drivin me crazy ...... iv got a song my church is doing and trying to find something to use in that part. if you have any thing just let me know thanks. GOD BLESS!!!!!!!!!

play4christ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-08-2010, 01:18 AM   #2
[Clever Words Here]

Um let's see. First what song? What key is the song in? I'd suggest something simple like
A|----7---7-7----7---7--7---------------|
E|-55-55-5--55--55--5----------------|

But that really depends on the song. Just do something you think sounds good.
Ethan.Bassist. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #3

thanx. the song is my saviour lives, and the chords are A F#M Bb. where i would be doin it the chords would be. A F#M G Bb A. u would hold the last A for i think 4 beats. if thats helps u out any for what u could say. thanx ill try the other. feel free to tell me more if u can.
play4christ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2010, 04:02 PM   #4

without a sample of the rhythm you will be playing at A F#M G Bb A. The best i can say is to use your modes
waveofthinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
[Clever Words Here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by play4christ21 View Post
thanx. the song is my saviour lives, and the chords are A F#M Bb. where i would be doin it the chords would be. A F#M G Bb A. u would hold the last A for i think 4 beats. if thats helps u out any for what u could say. thanx ill try the other. feel free to tell me more if u can.
Okay, yeah I know that song. Well, I don't really come up with riffs and stuff when I play music that isn't original. I mean, I throw in stuff, but I very rarely have an actual riff that I play. For some reason it's just too hard for me to come up with something that will help the song. But when me and my friend redo a song, like totally change the structure of it and stuff, I feel much more free to come up with a little something.

But I'd agree with the guy above. Learn the scale that the song is in and play around inside it. Unfortunately, there's no hard and fast way to just come up with a riff. I hope this helps at least a little.
Unread 11-11-2010, 07:14 PM   #6

thanx. i dont kmow many scales on bass. just 2 or 3 one the guy that plays guitar at church w/ me showed me. it will work its just hard 4 me to make up bass runs on my on that r not in the song. he helps me out when he can but he tells me he dosent know much about bass witch is ok he tells me to just do whatever but i dont know what to do. if yall know any scales that i could use to get started that would b great! thanx.
Unread 11-12-2010, 08:21 AM   #7

i'm no expert but i can help you with the little i know. first off, how long have you been playing and how much theory do you know or have covered?..be specific..and what are the scales that you do know?
Unread 11-12-2010, 06:34 PM   #8

i dont know much. just to do the key of the scale in the key of the song. the one scale i know would start on the E string it would go like this from E to G 5--8 567-57-578 .
Unread 11-13-2010, 01:09 AM   #9
[Clever Words Here]

Okay, let's see. If you haven't been playing long and are still getting used to bass in general, I would just start with the basics. When I started, I just stuck to the note that was written down. Like on the music sheets where the chords the guitarists are playing are written above the words, just stick with those for now. It will sound fine I promise, we can add flair later . In your free time, learn scales. Learn your basic major scale patterns and learn your basic minor scale pattern.

For now, just learn the first one on here. It's called the Ionian major scale and it is your basic major scale. It's a pattern that you can apply to any fret/note.
http://www.angelfire.com/id/bass/major.html

Also learn your basic minor scale. Uh, I can't find the one I usually use. I'll make it up lol
G|---------------------------5-7-|
D|---------------------5-7-------|
A|----------------5-7------------|
E|--------5-7-8-----------------|

I'm not sure that that's legit. But it's how I roll.

Hope this helps!
Unread 11-28-2010, 09:57 PM   #10

sorry it has been so long since iv been on here iv been busy.... iv been playin for about 4 years and i know the basics now i want to get to where i can do fill ins around the bass notes iv doin something that the guitarist showed me in more songs but there is some that it will not work in. if u have anything that will help thanks... and ALOT of this stuff im sayin i know iv kinda figured out myself. iv never had any kind of lessons.
Unread 12-09-2010, 04:29 PM   #11

i would begin by going through the bass lessons provided at studybass.com..primarily the lessons titled common bass patterns, intervals, bass scales and blues...once you are comfortable with that, find any records/cds by a bassist you like and then try your hardest to play what they are playing note for note(preferably starting with a piece of music that isn't too complex and then moving up as you progress). Itll be frustrating at first but the more you do it, the more it'll get easier. And not only will it help you with ear development but it will give you ideas on creating your own baselines.......i hope this helps.
Unread 12-09-2010, 09:43 PM   #12

Ok man ill try it thanx. iv been tryin to go by ear. spent some time on one part of a song and started to get frustrated becaus i couldn't figure it out. iv only been playin 4 about 3 years so. but ill take any advice anyone will give. again thanx ALOT!!!!

Tags
bass