Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Bass
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-04-2010, 11:10 AM   #1
Guitars are cool

Bass Books?

So I have a bass student that has flown through the initial books I'm forced to use at my job (FastTrack series), but I have no clue where to go from there. I've never studied any bass books myself and pretty much everything I know about the bass was learned on the bandstand/borrowed from theory/Guitar experience. I've already started teaching her about chord progressions and how to recognize those and to know what they mean. Groove, of course, is something I've been talking about since day 1. I've also started doing some ear training with her, and reading charts will be something else I'm going to start getting into. But as far as books are concerned, I'm not sure where to start.

So, if you have any recommendations of books that would be good to continue teaching from I would LOVE some suggestions. Doesn't matter what style, or anything, just need some ideas. Heck, even if you have some ideas for specific things to teach, sans book, let me know.

Gracias!
-Mike

Unread 11-04-2010, 05:43 PM   #2

If she's got the playing and reading parts down, I'd move into theory and technique. Maybe use some Abersold books (vol. 1), Rufus Reid's book is great, even if it's aimed more at double bass. Levine's Jazz Theory book would also be nice to learn from. A few ideas, I think I remember that you're a jazz guy anyway...makes the theory part less stuffy to some, and by learning all this stuff, she'll come out a better player in my mind than someone who is more technical or whatever.

I'm so much cooler online.
LWatford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2010, 06:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWatford View Post
If she's got the playing and reading parts down, I'd move into theory and technique. Maybe use some Abersold books (vol. 1), Rufus Reid's book is great, even if it's aimed more at double bass. Levine's Jazz Theory book would also be nice to learn from. A few ideas, I think I remember that you're a jazz guy anyway...makes the theory part less stuffy to some, and by learning all this stuff, she'll come out a better player in my mind than someone who is more technical or whatever.
I agree, Levine's Jazz theory book is an excellent tool.
some other books are:
Hal Leonard Bass Method--Ed Friedland
The idiots guide to bass guitar
Building Walking Bass Lines--Ed Friedland

Some sites:
Studybass.com
Gospelbasslines.com

i hope this helps in anyway .
"With God all things are possible"-Matthew 19:26
waveofthinking is offline   Reply With Quote