Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Entertainment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-04-2010, 08:00 AM   #16
assistant regional mgr.

I hope it's a rumor, as it would be illogical to the point of lunacy to do such a thing while the show is doing so well. maybe it's some sort of publicity whereas the writers show up as zombies after being "axed" or something. or maybe it's just a stupid rumor. *shrug*

Awesome Blog
Dwight Schrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-04-2010, 05:18 PM   #17
Gone

I read the first few volumes of the comic, but I haven't had a chance to see the show yet. I AM incredibly excited about it, regardless of whether I ever watch it, because the idea of artistic, dramatic post-apocalyptic/zombie television has been puttering around in my head for years. The possibilities are so great; I'm glad someone had the sense to try it using Walking Dead for the product.

Give thanks to YHWH, for He is good!

Gone
Ted Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2010, 07:34 PM   #18
assistant regional mgr.

it really is a phenomenal series, Ted. hope you get the chance to watch it soon. so great is the storyline, at times I forgot it's a zombie apocalypse story. you can lose yourself in all the side stories with all the different characters. I'm not a huge fan of gory zombie flicks, but this series is excellent. in a way, it reminds me of the book Hyperion by Simmons. lots of side stories that kind of move along in paralell towards a main synchronous overarching story (zombie apocalypse).

Awesome Blog
Unread 12-04-2010, 11:08 PM   #19
Gone

I just watched the first episode on Amazon. You're right, it is phenomenal. That said, I don't know if I'll watch any more episodes. I have enough credit left on my Amazon Video On Demand for one more, but here's the deal - it's seriously intense, and incredibly brutal. As much as I have enjoyed zombie flicks in the past, I think I might have reached a point where I just can't handle it anymore. The slow-mo headshots really get to me. In fact, I almost turned it off right at the beginning when Rick shoots the little girl zombie.

I'm sure the storyline really picks up when he meets up with the group in the mall, and then again with his wife, but I think I might just say, "Yes, this is fantastic television" and move on.

On a side note, one of the reasons I was able to watch Lost was precisely because the kids never get killed. I even used that to reassure Heather at various points so that she'd keep watching. "Remember, the kids are always okay on Lost. You don't have to worry about them."

Alex and Karl didn't count, because they were teenagers.

Gone
Unread 12-05-2010, 06:38 AM   #20
assistant regional mgr.

I can't handle child violence in movies or tv shows. I still wonder why they put that scene right at the start of The Walking Dead. I'm pretty sure it's in there for shock value or something, as I don't recall anything else involving violence with children anywhere else in the series. there are living children in the series, thus far the worse that happens is that they scream and yell a bit but that's about it.

it is a pretty graphic series, much of which you can see coming a mile away and kind of tune out or avert. actually one of the reasons why I didn't want to watch the series, as I'm not big on gore or graphic violence (ie. Saw). thankfully, this series stands on its feet in spite of the occasional overly graphic scenes. I don't feel too obligated to defend this show, as it does have some stuff that I frankly don't like ingesting into my mind ie. the graphic violence, language and the somewhat graphic sex scene. I'm just letting you know it's not all that brutal all the time. but I'm glad you liked the first episode.

Awesome Blog
Unread 12-05-2010, 10:24 PM   #21
Gone

Cool. Thanks for that - maybe I'll give it another shot before I decide for sure.

Gone
Unread 12-06-2010, 07:23 AM   #22
assistant regional mgr.

I saw the first half of the finale before falling asleep. I hope the second half picked up a bit as the first half was kind of... well, if I fell asleep, that should say something.

Awesome Blog
Unread 12-06-2010, 02:12 PM   #23

Hmm. Glad to see a thread about this. I mean, it's about zombies. You had to have guessed there'd be graphic violence. The sex I could without, and the language is a bit harsh, but, eh. I don't really care that there's a love triangle, or that everyone's struggling to adjust to this brave new world. I just want to see someone beast mode some zombies.
K45T is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2010, 02:16 PM   #24

I didn't know the half-corpse at the beginning was a little girl. I honestly thought she was just a woman who had decayed to where one couldn't tell her age (not to be inappropriate, but after weeks of decay the breasts begin to disappear).
Unread 12-06-2010, 06:12 PM   #25
assistant regional mgr.

I think the teddy bear and kid slippers sort of gave it away that it was a child.

lol I'm coming at it from the other side - I'm gripped by the storyline and the character development. a great recipe for a successful story is taking seemingly normal people and placing them in extraordinary circumstances to see how they adapt. this series does this in spades. yeah it's at its core a post apocalyptic zombie series - and has its share of gruesome gore. but it's so much more than that. if it were just another zombie film (or series) I'd say "been there, done that".

still haven't had the chance to finish the season finale, hopefully tonight after the critters are in bed.

Awesome Blog
Unread 12-07-2010, 09:48 AM   #26

I think it makes one consider what they would do in that situation; it makes us think about "Oh, I would do this if that happened...". Like, with the Challenger. I'd of torn out the windows, put in chicken wire, painted it black, shut off the horn, mounted spikes on the front, and used it as the head of the convoy to keep the zombies off the rest of everyone. And I'd of not gotten on the horse, or gone to the city. I mean, really. That was just too easy.
Unread 12-07-2010, 09:51 AM   #27

But back on topic. I mean, if you just have zombies dying constantly and no storyline, no personal aspect, then it's boring. That's what makes the walking dead good.
Unread 12-07-2010, 10:01 AM   #28
of the jefconians

No new episodes until Halloween 'The Walking Dead' finale breaks ratings records – The Marquee Blog - CNN.com Blogs

I don't know if I can handle another Lost drawn out series. I haven't seen the season finale yet though. Maybe that will get me though the next 11 months with no Walking Dead.
jefcon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2010, 10:14 AM   #29

WHAT??!?!?!? Okay, seriously? No new episodes for nearly a year. For real? I mean, they're going to lose this show! AMC has probably gotten more ratings off of this one season than Lost could ever hope to pull. People WANT to watch this, it's not just the next best thing that's on. -.- People are so stupid.
Unread 12-08-2010, 01:26 PM   #30

Send a message via AIM to Sean Send a message via MSN to Sean
Quote:
Originally Posted by K45T View Post
WHAT??!?!?!? Okay, seriously? No new episodes for nearly a year. For real? I mean, they're going to lose this show!
This show is unique enough that theres' no chance the GAP will have a serious impact on retaining viewers. A year from now it will still be the TV show about zombies. It has no competition.

Quote:
AMC has probably gotten more ratings off of this one season than Lost could ever hope to pull. People WANT to watch this, it's not just the next best thing that's on. -.- People are so stupid.
Ummm no. All of Lost's seasons had double to triple the number of views as The Walking Dead. The Walking Dead is doing great for a cable TV show, but it doesn't compare to top rated network shows.

Modern Ministry Blog | My thoughts on life and faith
The Sean Chandler Blog | My thoughts on culture and politics
YouTube | My thoughts on movies and TV
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote