Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-24-2010, 02:15 PM   #1

1995 Taylor 510...Does anyone know anything about this model?

Looking for a little help. Looking to upgrade my acoustic guitar, and found a used 1995 Taylor 510 at a local music store. It sounds fantastic and just feels good in my hands. There are a couple cosmetic dings, nothing major that you would not expect from a guitar its age.
The asking price is $1050. I thought that was a steal, but went home and looked around on line and some comparable models on Ebay have gone from $750-900.
My question is why is this price so low compared to the more recent 500 series that Taylor has offered. Some of the more recent 510 ce models on ebay, and other stores, are going $1300 or more. I do understand that this guitar is used, has no electronics, and has some small cosmetic issues, but don't know why these models are going for less than the more recent ones.
So....does anyone have any knowledge regarding this model 510, and can any one tell me what a fair price to offer would be? I have never purchased a used instrument at a store, I don't want to offend with a low ball offer, but I am assume there is more "wiggle room" with a used item than a new one. Especially if the used item has been in the store for a couple of months.

Thanks!

lakeyale13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-25-2010, 05:54 AM   #2

as i understand it, the new "es" pickup system that his been sold on taylors in the last few years is a $400 upgrade to a standard taylor. that and the newer guitar could make up for the price difference in the '95 and the newer ones you saw. guitars at a shop will typically be more expensive than guitars on ebay or craigslist. i would decide how much you are able to spend and make an offer if you like the guitar. i have rarely run across a guitar shop that is offended by an offer. the worst the can say is no! good luck on the buy. sounds like a great guitar.
0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2010, 07:53 AM   #3
not so bright

I'd offer them $850, based on YOUR research, and see where that goes.

Some of my gear.
tenwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2010, 06:26 PM   #4

I struck out today. I offered $800 cash and the manager seemed caught off gaurd. He even remarked "Well that is a couple hundred dollars off of the asking price!" I felt like replying "Yes, I know, that is what someone making an offer does. Would you expect me to make an offer that is only $10 off of the list price?"
I then asked him what offer he would accept and he told me that the 510 is actually on consignment. That certainly didn't help my cause. With it listed at $1050 he said he would accept $975. I told him no thanks and walked out very politely. That guitar has been sitting in this store for at least 4-5 months. I will stop by later next week with my business card and ask that he contact me if the seller is willing to come down some more off of his asking price.
Anyone have any tips? Anyone think I could have done something different? I welcome all advice.
Unread 10-25-2010, 06:36 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeyale13 View Post
I struck out today. I offered $800 cash and the manager seemed caught off gaurd. He even remarked "Well that is a couple hundred dollars off of the asking price!" I felt like replying "Yes, I know, that is what someone making an offer does. Would you expect me to make an offer that is only $10 off of the list price?"
I then asked him what offer he would accept and he told me that the 510 is actually on consignment. That certainly didn't help my cause. With it listed at $1050 he said he would accept $975. I told him no thanks and walked out very politely. That guitar has been sitting in this store for at least 4-5 months. I will stop by later next week with my business card and ask that he contact me if the seller is willing to come down some more off of his asking price.
Anyone have any tips? Anyone think I could have done something different? I welcome all advice.
I think you played it perfectly. If the guitar is on consignment, there's not a lot the store can do with it. When the seller decides to get serious about selling the guitar, the price will come down.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2010, 06:40 PM   #6

TS, thanks for your input. I will follow up and hopefully the Lord will call this guitar home to me! Ha! Furthermore, enjoy San Diego. What a great city! I lived there from 3rd to 8th grade in Rancho Penasquitos. Great memories!
Unread 10-30-2010, 08:02 PM   #7

So pumped! I bought the 510 today and am quite happy. Has more of a Gibson than a Taylor. A much more balanced sound than the typical light/tinny Taylor sound. I imagine the mahogany sides and back are responsible for that. Thanks for everyones input!
Unread 04-29-2016, 12:29 AM   #8

I think you played it perfectly. If the guitar is on consignment,