Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-19-2010, 03:08 PM   #1
I AM A BASS PLAYER

Send a message via AIM to Josey Wales Send a message via Yahoo to Josey Wales
ok so it turns out my acoustic did have some problems from drying out, the bridge has a belly behind it and a valley in front by the sound hole, i took it to guitar center, and the guy there said i need to re-hydrate it, like it dried out to much, i've had it for about 2 years, kept it in the case when i wasn't playing, but never humidified it.

he told me to put the humidifier in and seal it in the case for about a week, he also told me to run the shower really hot in the bathroom, and steam it up, and let the guitar sit in there for about 30 min and soak it up, so i've done this, is this good ideas???

also should i release the string tension when i'm doing all this, i asked him, he said to just leave it and not worry about the strings, it will settle with them as is... these are the only set of strings i've ever had on it, i've been lucky to not break any except after i first got it. i didn't really play it that much, but i really want to now, i just want to fix it

HELP!! any thoughts and ideas will be appreciated

btw it's not severe, it's there i can't give a pic, because the camera won't pick it up, i can't even see it unless the light reflects off it just right, i think thats due to the wood grain, but i can see it off the laquer

"I'M GONNA GIVE YOU A BAD CASE OF SOMBODY SHOT ME IN THE HEAD"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Cowboy In Me (Blog) I My Guitar Build: The Making Of The DISASTERCASTER
The New Restoration Project: The Making Of The JEMCASTER I NEW BASS: PAINT 'N' STUFF

FaceBook I ALL SAINTS DAY I ASD facebook I ASD reverb nation I BREAKING THE TIDE

Last edited by thesteve; 10-19-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Josey Wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-19-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
Tired of being attacked

I am a little alarmed at the thought of setting it in the bathroom during a shower. It seems that drastic of a change could be disastrous. I will defer to someone more knowledgeable about acoustics, but I'd be wary of doing anything really drastic.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2010, 06:42 PM   #3
I AM A BASS PLAYER

well i already did that.. nothing happened bad, i think it helped a little bit.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The New Restoration Project: The Making Of The JEMCASTER I NEW BASS: PAINT 'N' STUFF

FaceBook I ALL SAINTS DAY I ASD facebook I ASD reverb nation I BREAKING THE TIDE
Unread 10-20-2010, 09:00 AM   #4

I had seen that thread but I've had no experience with problems like this. Hey, I even responded to this thread. I wonder where it is? That's strange.

Which guitar is this? The Fender acoustic? My son lived out in Arizona for a while and he kept the humd. going and had no problems with his. He had a Takamine with a cedar top I think.

I'm think that if you do the shower deal it may help. I would do it every so often like maybe 5 or 6 times a year. But I may be wrong. I've just never had this problem.
roscoestring is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2010, 09:28 AM   #5
I AM A BASS PLAYER

grr this just sucks so much, i love this guitar, and i figured it was fine being in it's case, but i guess not. i really hope that this will fix it by humidifying it, but if not then what ??? and if the neck needs adjustment now how do i do that, because it does not have a truss rod.

Unread 10-20-2010, 09:40 AM   #6
Banned

It still plays good right? As long as it plays good then I wouldn't worry about it too much. And if you guitar doesn't have a truss rod then you can't adjust the neck tension. Well, I guess by changing string gauges you could.

If your really worried about it, you can just replace the bridge altogether, I need to do that on my Takamine since it's all buggered up by screwdriver marks cause the original bridge pins sat to deep in there, screwdriver is was the only way to get them out.
ethan_hanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2010, 09:44 AM   #7
I AM A BASS PLAYER

well it does play good, except for a little string buzz, and the action is pretty high, but i'm more worried about cracking. i mean it was a gift from my wife and it's real special to me, i want it to be back to normal

Unread 10-20-2010, 09:48 AM   #8
Banned

Well, if the action is a little high, then I would put a lighter gauge string on there, it prolly needs new strings anyway. New strings will make it sound like a brand new guitar.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, I have a friend that has a old Ventura V-20 that sat in a attic for 30 years, no cracks, course, the top is coming off on one side, but that is prolly due to it being in a attic and the glue melting away. Texas heat.

It also may just be a fault in the guitar, Fender is not really known for making great acoustic guitars. There ok, but nothing near professional.
Unread 10-20-2010, 09:58 AM   #9
I AM A BASS PLAYER

well i agree with this, i just really love the way the fender looks, and i don't want to go drop a grand for an acoustic, this one really does sound nice and there size 9 strings, i'm not going any lower. like i said one set ever, and i put them on when i was still really n00b to guitar. i want to put 10's on because thats what i use on all my electrics, but now i don't know if i should or not. i mean i don't think the neck is messed, but on everything i read it said when the guitar gets like that it needs to my humidified, and has a truss rod adjustment. so i'm thinking i'll leave it in the case with humidifier, and if no go bring it back to GC and talk to their luthier, he's very illusive because i go in there all the time, and have never seen him...

Unread 10-20-2010, 10:04 AM   #10

There's some weird stuff going on here with my posts. I had responded to this thread and it never showed up. Then Josey sent me a private message to which I responded and it shows up here but not on the PM.

I must have a gremlin in my c'puter.
roscoestring is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2010, 10:04 AM   #11
Banned

Don't use the Guitar Center lutheir, they don't know what they are doing half the time. Do some research and search for a local one, I did and it was prolly the best choice I could of made.

.009!?!?! That's so light for an acoustic, at bare minimum it should be .012's, .012's are considered light gauge strings for acoustic. .009's got to be something like custom super light. But with no truss rod I doubt you can go back to a higher gauge string now, would raise your action even more. You can try to compensate by making the bridge nut shorter. Fret buzz, light fret buzz on acoustic is typically normal, you'll never get rid of it 100%.

I guess at this point all you can do is try the humidifier thing.
Unread 10-20-2010, 10:06 AM   #12
I AM A BASS PLAYER

maybe our jut slowly going insane... thats possible. in fact i might be too, right now my mouse cursor is slowly creeping across the screen all by itself......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan_hanus View Post
Don't use the Guitar Center lutheir, they don't know what they are doing half the time. Do some research and search for a local one, I did and it was prolly the best choice I could of made.

.009!?!?! That's so light for an acoustic, at bare minimum it should be .012's, .012's are considered light gauge strings for acoustic. .009's got to be something like custom super light. But with no truss rod I doubt you can go back to a higher gauge string now, would raise your action even more. You can try to compensate by making the bridge nut shorter. Fret buzz, light fret buzz on acoustic is typically normal, you'll never get rid of it 100%.

I guess at this point all you can do is try the humidifier thing.
oh really...... well maybe then they are 12's idk, like i said it was when i was guitar n00b and about 2 years ago, so i totally forgot, i'm getting back into acoustic now.... but on the buzz ok, i guess i do hear that with acoustics, so it's all cool we shall see whats the deal-e-o

Last edited by thesteve; 10-20-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Unread 10-20-2010, 10:14 AM   #13
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey wales View Post
oh really...... well maybe then they are 12's idk, like i said it was when i was guitar n00b and about 2 years ago, so i totally forgot, i'm getting back into acoustic now.... but on the buzz ok, i guess i do hear that with acoustics, so it's all cool we shall see whats the deal-e-o
I would slap a set of .011 gauge acoustic strings on there, if you say you've never changed the strings, then most likely the ones on there are .012's since it industry standard for acoustics, so going to a lighter gauge, which you can, might lower the action a bit and take some stress of the neck. .011's for acoustic should be a super light guage.

We shall see.
Unread 10-20-2010, 10:15 AM   #14
I AM A BASS PLAYER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan_hanus View Post
I would slap a set of .011 gauge acoustic strings on there, if you say you've never changed the strings, then most likely the ones on there are .012's since it industry standard for acoustics, so going to a lighter gauge, which you can, might lower the action a bit and take some stress of the neck. .011's for acoustic should be a super light guage.

We shall see.
fo shizzle.... that we shall

Unread 10-20-2010, 10:56 AM   #15

i would contact a knowledgable repair shop or small shop luthier. i have called both john levan and joe glaser in nashville and both have taken time to share advice on small issues. i have also talked to tom anderson and terry mcinturff, both electric builders, about electric issues. google some of those guys and you will get good information. i do not trust anyone at guitar center to direct me to the men's room. good luck!
0000 is offline   Reply With Quote