LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-20-2010, 03:25 PM   #61
I AM A BASS PLAYER

Send a message via AIM to Josey Wales Send a message via Yahoo to Josey Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
My point was just the objective facts.

Now, to the point of the thread.

I would play some older Gibsons as well. I think they are a bit of an acquired taste after playing on a 25.5 inch scale.

I just wish I could hand you my LP custom through the monitor to play. Such is a guitar I would really like to get your take on.
bill, i know, and i know that Ax was trying to make his point too, and i respect that about both of you, i just wanted to stop it before my thread becomes an all out pissing match about gibson v. fender v. custom v. something else. we can start another thread for that LOL...

but yeah i wish that i could take your guitar through the monitor, it would be so much better than trying out guitars at the guitar store now is the LP custom one your bought, or modded....

"I'M GONNA GIVE YOU A BAD CASE OF SOMBODY SHOT ME IN THE HEAD"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Cowboy In Me (Blog) I My Guitar Build: The Making Of The DISASTERCASTER
The New Restoration Project: The Making Of The JEMCASTER I NEW BASS: PAINT 'N' STUFF

FaceBook I ALL SAINTS DAY I ASD facebook I ASD reverb nation I BREAKING THE TIDE
Josey Wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-20-2010, 06:24 PM   #62

Quote:
I am going to throw something out there.

You want to strum, not play with gobs of distortion, right? I really think from what you have said you will be happiest with a semi-hollow guitar. I just don't see any drawback for you.

Which models does that leave me with? I played an SE semi hollow today at the store. It was, sort of OK. It didn't knock my socks off. That thing was as light as a feather. It almost made it seem like it couldn't sound good it was so light. I mean that thing must've weighed 4 pounds or less. I like light, but..... Of course I didn't plug it in. Hehehehe. I was only in that store for 25 minutes or so and fondled a lot in a little time. My concern about a semi hollow or hollow is I don't want a muddy sound. I know some of the hollows can get that way. Because lets say you do a nice picking lead with some vibrato or something, I want the notes to sound clean, not muddy. You know? I'll have to experiment with that. I think the semi hollows might not be a bad idea.

I have a line on a dot in the neighborhood and I liked it very much. But I felt like it was a little too big. Almost off putting. Plus the guy wants 350 for it and it's not brand new. And it's chinese. But, I actually liked the way that one played, A LOT.

I will add to this thread a little about Gibsons. I actually like the smaller scale. And I still like a Fender scale also. The thing that is getting me about the Gibsons, is that I find myself liking the Epi's more. It sounds like it can't be right, but that douible cut today just felt, strange. It sounded kind of strange too. I have yet to play a good Gibson SG, and hopefully that will happen. Otherwise I'm going to end up with an Epi SG, some kind of Fender, or an Ibanez hollow body. Or who knows. I do keep liking some of the Epi SG's I play. I just hate how they look. And everyone keeps saying go Gibby with the SG's and not Epi.

Thank you for your input Bill. And if you can tell me which models you are thinking about, that would help me out! J.J.
ABPOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2010, 07:21 PM   #63
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey wales View Post
bill, i know, and i know that Ax was trying to make his point too, and i respect that about both of you, i just wanted to stop it before my thread becomes an all out pissing match about gibson v. fender v. custom v. something else. we can start another thread for that LOL...

but yeah i wish that i could take your guitar through the monitor, it would be so much better than trying out guitars at the guitar store now is the LP custom one your bought, or modded....
well, my point was to point out the objective differences. (Les Paul not approving of his name being used for the SG for example) I happen to have owned about a half dozen LPs and SGs.

On the point of Gibsons, I do happen to have quite a bit of experience. I have owned

Melody makers - 9 (Have 2)
Les Pauls 7, (have 2) 3 studios, a firebrand deluxe, 2 standards, a les paul custom
Lucille (variant of a 335)
Sgs 4, (still have 1)
Es 300 Still own

and I think I am forgetting a few.

But I do know that I owned studios from this decade with different neck profiles. I had a standard that had the 60s neck...

I am currently looking for a nighthawk to see if I like that weirded out thing. But I play a bunch, I get pick of the litter at a pawn shop, so I get to try out literally hundreds of cool ones. I have played an acoustic from 1920 of Gibson. I am kind of familliar with a lot of their random history. If you look at just the main offerings you wouldn't know that fender made a competitor to the es 335 at one point for example, or that there are Gibson superstrats floating around.

I don't know explorers or vs. I want a v at some point maybe, but its never been a priority.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2010, 08:37 PM   #64
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABPOS View Post
I'm just not sure that I want a hollow body, if' it's going to be me only Electric for a while. I have to think about it. But I do like playing them.
This is getting to be off topic so we may want to start another thread, but I have an Artcore (Ibanez Hollowbody) that was a limited run. The AG-85. They stopped production on it really fast. The body is made from bubinga, which isn't all that expensive, but more so than Ash, Alder, Maple etc. Not to mention it's rather obscure in production guitars so it's sort of exotic. When word got out that they were selling a hollow body guitar made of bubinga for less than 500, sales went thru the roof. So much so that they couldn't keep producing them at that price and they were constantly back ordered. In fact, mine was shipped directly from the factory after I bought it from Music123. I payed 425 (after shipping) and it came with a free case (which interestingly enough, shipped from M123 before the Artcore, and arrived 3 days beforehand).

Anyways, I love that guitar. I really really really love that guitar. The workmanship on it is fantastic. The finish is beautiful, the tone is great... The only things I have against the stock guitar was the pickups and the tuning machines. And I would change the tuning machines on really any given guitar. Grovers are where it's at baby.

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2010, 10:12 PM   #65
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ax View Post
This is getting to be off topic so we may want to start another thread, but I have an Artcore (Ibanez Hollowbody) that was a limited run. The AG-85. They stopped production on it really fast. The body is made from bubinga, which isn't all that expensive, but more so than Ash, Alder, Maple etc. Not to mention it's rather obscure in production guitars so it's sort of exotic. When word got out that they were selling a hollow body guitar made of bubinga for less than 500, sales went thru the roof. So much so that they couldn't keep producing them at that price and they were constantly back ordered. In fact, mine was shipped directly from the factory after I bought it from Music123. I payed 425 (after shipping) and it came with a free case (which interestingly enough, shipped from M123 before the Artcore, and arrived 3 days beforehand).

Anyways, I love that guitar. I really really really love that guitar. The workmanship on it is fantastic. The finish is beautiful, the tone is great... The only things I have against the stock guitar was the pickups and the tuning machines. And I would change the tuning machines on really any given guitar. Grovers are where it's at baby.
And to prove we don't always disagree, that is one to try. Might have been the steal of a decade.

Of course I would check out a Gibson Lucille and a 335 as well as some Gibson hollowbodies as well. I would also try out some gretsch's like Josey Wales liked.

My Life.
Unread 09-21-2010, 08:52 AM   #66

Quote:
And to prove we don't always disagree, that is one to try. Might have been the steal of a decade.

Of course I would check out a Gibson Lucille and a 335 as well as some Gibson hollowbodies as well. I would also try out some gretsch's like Josey Wales liked.
Yeah sorry Josey if this is sidetracking your thread. But it sort of relates anyways. Hehehehe

I think the Gretsch Pro Jets I played would fall in the semi hollow category. They are chambered, even though there's no holes. I actually LOVED the way they played. And that store has great prices because some of the ones they carry are finish rejects. Which you can't even tell there is something wrong. But I'm pretty sure that electromatic series is Chinese made. But they felt really good. I don't know about the electronics though. But then there is that whole switch up high, which I don't really like.

Isn't the lucille and 335 full hollows? And really, don't they cost like an arm, plus a leg and possibly another member?
ABPOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2010, 09:04 AM   #67
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABPOS View Post
Yeah sorry Josey if this is sidetracking your thread. But it sort of relates anyways. Hehehehe

I think the Gretsch Pro Jets I played would fall in the semi hollow category. They are chambered, even though there's no holes. I actually LOVED the way they played. And that store has great prices because some of the ones they carry are finish rejects. Which you can't even tell there is something wrong. But I'm pretty sure that electromatic series is Chinese made. But they felt really good. I don't know about the electronics though. But then there is that whole switch up high, which I don't really like.
A lot of times switches do go bad on some of the Chinese guitars. But... a new switch is what, $10?
Quote:
Isn't the lucille and 335 full hollows? And really, don't they cost like an arm, plus a leg and possibly another member?
No The Lucille and 335 are semihollows.

I got my lucille for around a thousand. As best I can tell, Lucilles are worth a bit less than a 335.

My 300 is a full hollow.

ES 175s and such are always available used around where I am.

It all depends on budget. IMO, and you should really check out the Godin ones. I know they have the kingpin model, but they are quite reasonable pricewise, (probably could be found for the same price as an artcore) and are made in Canada with a lot of positive reviews. Besides, having a Godin guitar (or seagull, art & Lutherie or any other one of their brands) is one of those things that is just plain cool. The serious musicians will drool over your fine instrument, while the uninitiated will wonder what a Godin is.

Edit for Apbos.

Also, try out some reverend guitars. Their korean models are awesome and if you happen to come across an affordable USA, those are gold.

My Life.

Last edited by BillSPrestonEsq; 09-21-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Unread 09-21-2010, 09:30 AM   #68
I AM A BASS PLAYER

hey guys no worries about this, i included other guitars into my review so now it's a guitar free-for-all review

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The New Restoration Project: The Making Of The JEMCASTER I NEW BASS: PAINT 'N' STUFF

FaceBook I ALL SAINTS DAY I ASD facebook I ASD reverb nation I BREAKING THE TIDE
Unread 09-21-2010, 09:36 AM   #69
of the jefconians

I've played many different guitars in my life and I can say without hesitation that Chevy sucks.
jefcon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2010, 09:46 AM   #70
I AM A BASS PLAYER

HOW COULD THIS SUCK

Unread 09-21-2010, 11:08 AM   #71
of the jefconians

Quote:
HOW COULD THIS SUCK

Well sure its great with a bunch of aftermarket bolt-ons.
jefcon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2010, 11:14 AM   #72

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
HOW COULD THIS SUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefcon1 View Post
What's the horsepower on that thing? I bet the flames are worth at least 5HP.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2010, 11:16 AM   #73
I AM A BASS PLAYER

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
What's the horsepower on that thing? I bet the flames are worth at least 5HP.
haha i was wondering that myself

Unread 09-21-2010, 11:22 AM   #74
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefcon1 View Post
If it shoots fire and smoke out of those pipes when you play, I must avoid GAS.

8 coilsis I guess the max you can fit though...

My Life.

Last edited by BillSPrestonEsq; 09-21-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Unread 09-21-2010, 11:23 AM   #75
I AM A BASS PLAYER

Quote:
If it shoots fire and smoke out of those pipes when you play, I must avoid GAS.
that would be pretty sweet!!!!!!