Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-17-2010, 11:36 AM   #16
I AM A BASS PLAYER

Send a message via AIM to Josey Wales Send a message via Yahoo to Josey Wales
shoot dude, i don't remember the model number, it's an ibanez gio though, heres a pic.

it's the one that isn't a fender, LOL

the guy at guitar center said it's more like a double cutaway les paul than anything.

"I'M GONNA GIVE YOU A BAD CASE OF SOMBODY SHOT ME IN THE HEAD"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Cowboy In Me (Blog) I My Guitar Build: The Making Of The DISASTERCASTER
The New Restoration Project: The Making Of The JEMCASTER I NEW BASS: PAINT 'N' STUFF

FaceBook I ALL SAINTS DAY I ASD facebook I ASD reverb nation I BREAKING THE TIDE
Josey Wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-17-2010, 11:39 AM   #17
of the jefconians

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenwatt View Post
Gibson, to me, has the most inconsistent quality of any guitar company. Once you find "the one" it will be irreplaceable though.
+1 And then I personally know people who own duds that they swear are "the one" because it has Gibson on the headstock.
jefcon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2010, 11:43 AM   #18
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Gibson SGs are super unbalanced-feeling guitars.

LPs are heavenly, though.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2010, 11:44 AM   #19
Hey ya'll, watch this!

Play a Fender for a few years and a Gibson will feel quite foreign. It's the difference in scales, for one thing. I prefer the typical Gibson scale.

The problem I have with Gibson is the fact that you can't really buy them from a Mom 'n Pop anymore. Their marketing strategy is geared towards the big boys now. Since I don't make trips to the music store as some kind of travel destination, which is what a trip to Guitar Center would have to be, I don't look at new Gibsons.
jeepnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2010, 11:56 AM   #20
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenwatt View Post
My absolute favorite guitar to LOOK at is a Les Paul. I've played 100s of them and have only been able to find a small few that I actually liked the feel and sound of. I wish I would have never gotten rid of my Black Beauty. I can't stand the LOOK of an SG but I haven't played one that didn't feel and sound great to me. Gibson, to me, has the most inconsistent quality of any guitar company. Once you find "the one" it will be irreplaceable though.
I would actually say that of PRS. I have only found one that didnt feel bland to me. I own it. I also dare say I have owned far more gibsons than average and I have found a defect on one. (And I have owned probably 50) That defect was a misplaced pickguard.

That Ibanez is much closer to a fender than an LP I believe. Maple neck, probably bolt on, and probably a fender scale I am guessing?

My best guitar is a Gibson LP really, second finest guitar I ever played. Number one was a maple necked LP from the custom shop. I had it on hold and some moron sold it out from under me. (Got fired over that because he sold it for a silly price too)

SG's are for the most part, pretty neck heavy. Not all are though.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2010, 12:08 PM   #21
Honeymoonin'

Send a message via AIM to redbaron
the ibanez looks like the double cutaway PRS to me.

The weird thing to me about SG's (and 335's for that matter) is how long the neck is, and how easy upper fret access is. when you reach for something around the 20th on a strat or LP you can tell you're way up there. On an SG/335 type guitar it feels like your hand is still way out there. It's kind of nice once you're used to it, but I found I had to watch my hand constantly at first.
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2010, 12:17 PM   #22
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
I wouldn't draw any conclusions on a brand from trying them out at Best Buy, imho.
Could be they weren't set up at all or their selection is limited or whatever...or it could be the simple fact that you didn't like the feel of those particular guitars.
You rated them at a 3, but I wonder what I, a casual Gibson fan-boy, would rate the same guitars at?

Keep in mind that just like Fender and others, Gibson makes a LOT MORE variety of instruments than the couple you got your hands on.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2010, 12:22 PM   #23
I AM A BASS PLAYER

yeah i gotcha, and thats why i'm gonna go to guitar center tonight, and re-evaluate

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The New Restoration Project: The Making Of The JEMCASTER I NEW BASS: PAINT 'N' STUFF

FaceBook I ALL SAINTS DAY I ASD facebook I ASD reverb nation I BREAKING THE TIDE
Unread 09-17-2010, 12:40 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey wales View Post
yeah i gotcha, and thats why i'm gonna go to guitar center tonight, and re-evaluate
You may find that the feel is just not for you.
I can pick up a guitar and know in a matter of seconds whether or not I will want to play it.
Even one that is set up poorly I can get by on, but if the neck feel or finish or shape or whatever is just not jiving with my hands, I'll drop it like a bad habit.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
Unread 09-17-2010, 12:44 PM   #25

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
I can pick up a guitar and know in a matter of seconds whether or not I will want to play it.
Even one that is set up poorly I can get by on, but if the neck feel or finish or shape or whatever is just not jiving with my hands, I'll drop it like a bad habit.
I'm getting to that point. My last experience at GC, I picked up two MIA Fenders, an MIM Fender and one of the Squier CVs. The only one that I felt jived with my hand was the CV. The other three weren't bad guitars, but they definitely weren't going to work for me.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2010, 01:05 PM   #26
I AM A BASS PLAYER

well this is what i'm saying about the gibsons they didn't feel right in my hands, mainly the shape and finish. honestly.

Unread 09-17-2010, 01:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey wales View Post
well this is what i'm saying about the gibsons they didn't feel right in my hands, mainly the shape and finish. honestly.
Some of the Faded guitars, because of their thinner nitro finish, have felt *gummy* in my hands.
Same goes for some of the Highway 1 Strats and Teles. Again, thin nitrocellulose lacquer seems to be the cause.
That said, my BFG has a similar finish and yet it feels perfect..smooth and comfortable. Other BFGs have felt the same as have other Faded Les Paul Studios.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
Unread 09-17-2010, 01:15 PM   #28
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
I think I can do that now, but it has taken a lot of trying of weird guitars to figure that out.

I think a Gibson shape takes a while to get used to when converting from fenders and Ibys.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2010, 01:26 PM   #29
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
I've been a Fender/Gibson guy for life, but for the life of me, have never enjoyed the feeling of any PRS neck I've played. Even well set-up players' axes. *shrug*

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2010, 01:33 PM   #30
not so bright

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
I would actually say that of PRS. I have only found one that didnt feel bland to me. I own it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
I've been a Fender/Gibson guy for life, but for the life of me, have never enjoyed the feeling of any PRS neck I've played. Even well set-up players' axes. *shrug*
And I would say that my Custom 24 is the best feeling/sounding guitar I've ever owned. I'm not a PRS fan boy though. They're right there with Gibson to me. It's hard to find that "one" but it's awesome when you do. It's amazing how uniquely crafted we all are.

Some of my gear.
tenwatt is offline   Reply With Quote