Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Sports & Outdoors
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-08-2010, 06:43 AM   #46
leafy greens!

WOOOOOO
The Leafs actually closed out a game! Giguere never had to make many tough saves, but he certainly bailed them out at the buzzer. Quick observations:
1. Luke Schenn looked terribly comfortable with and without the puck. He blocked at least five shots last night as well. I think this is the year he becomes the No. 2 behind Phaneuf.
2. Tomas Kaberle has jump once again. He still has no concept of how to play defense, but when paired with Schenn he was impressive.
3. Dion Phaneuf and Francois Beauchemin both looked good. Phaneuf is still a world-class skater and hitter, and Beauchemin looks more comfortable as the definite #2 man in that pairing.
4. The Mike Komisarek/Carl Gunnarsson pairing was an unmitigated disaster. Way too timid with the puck and no communication whatsoever.
5. The Kessel/Bozak/Versteeg line dominated at 5-on-5. The Leafs still need to figure out the power play, but the Canadiens were just observers for 70% of that line's ice time. Bozak is still terribly underrated - he's a fantastic passer with great vision and soft hands. He and Versteeg both showed a willingness to go into the corners to get the puck as well.
6. So happy for Tim Brent getting the first Leaf goal. He hustled every second he was on the ice.
7. The PK was vastly improved. I only ever felt anything close to worry once, and then Giguere shut the door. I know it's a Canadiens power play minus Cammalleri, but this just builds confidence.

And from the first period of Edmonton/Calgary:
1. Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle, and Magnus Paajarvi are all good, but they weren't playing hard without the puck. That has to worry the Oilers, who don't have a defense to begin with.
2. The Bulin Wall is back! I sincerely believe that Nikolai Khabibulin can still be an effective, if not elite, goaltender in this league.
3. Make no mistake, Ales Hemsky has the softest hands in the league. Honestly, they don't make them any better, and he's got a hell of a shot to go with it.
4. I know this isn't their year, but the Oilers are going to be the next Washington Capitals. Mark them down for 2012-2013 scary goodness on offense. Don't believe me? Check out Jordan Eberle's first NHL goal.
5. What would the Battle of Alberta be without a bigtime KO?

"And I don't see my brokeness anymore, when I'm seated at the table of the Lord" - Leeland
tmlfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-08-2010, 10:49 AM   #47

paid
Eberle's goal. Good bloody grief.
I hope Edmonton has a good year.
Of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
“God is not dead, nor does He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men.”

~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
earlessdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2010, 01:53 PM   #48
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
THE SHARKS ARE PLAYING ON TV RIGHT NOW!!!!

Last night, I was at a baseball playoff game. Today, I am watching my Sharks!! Whoo!!
Unread 10-08-2010, 07:06 PM   #49
The People's

In case you haven't heard, Ondrej Pavelec, goalie for the Atlanta Thrashers, collapsed on the ice today. He lost consciousness while the puck was in the other end of the ice and was taken to the hospital. Scary situation.

Thrashers' Pavelec collapses on ice

As for me, I am super-stoked about the Canucks season starting tomorrow. So stoked that I decided to see the downside in everything and post a super cynical season preview for the Canucks. Enjoy: Pass it to Bulis: Can't Spell Canucks Without S-U-C-K: A Super Cynical Season Preview

Pass it to Bulis!
Hooray for Gooba! on MySpace | The Neverknown on MySpace | Ranch Barkner on MySpace | Jacqueline Deepsearch on MySpace
"I get excited about lima beans!" ~Pre-Ex-Girlfriend

Catch for us the foxes, the little foxes that ruin the vineyards, our vineyards that are in bloom.
Song of Songs 2:15

zXe
Skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2010, 07:15 PM   #50
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
So, a good game between the Sharks and the Blue Jackets. Niemi looked comfortable in goal. It is exciting to have two good/decent goaltenders this year.

Man, Couture has really stepped up. He is the second line center this year after just making his debut last season. He scored a big goal today.

The right decision was made, and Big Joe Thornton is the Sharks Captain. I like it. Patty Marleau will wear the A for home games. I also like that.

I would be a LOT more excited about this, but game 2 of the NLDS starts in about 20 minutes.
Unread 10-08-2010, 10:58 PM   #51
leafy greens!

Glad to hear Pavelec is doing OK.

Leafs are back at it again tomorrow night against the Sens. I kind of feel like this is also a pretty big game - I think for such a young team, building some early momentum and making them feel like they can win games is huge.

"And I don't see my brokeness anymore, when I'm seated at the table of the Lord" - Leeland
Unread 10-09-2010, 11:06 PM   #52
leafy greens!

Leafs played a great 60-minute game tonight and the Senators never posed much of a threat. Pascal Leclaire was easily the best Senator on the ice. Kris Versteeg scored a Gordie Howe hat-trick, and Giguere was very solid in goal again. Two things stuck out to me tonight about the Leafs: team speed and puck support. There was always a second man in to help, always an option for a defenseman under pressure.

Wouldn't want to have been a ref in the Vancouver/Los Angeles game tonight - a bunch of tough, tough calls to make. A lot of Canucks fans were up in arms, but I think if the game were played in LA, the same would be true of the LA fans. Luckily the game didn't really turn on any one call and it was a great shootout with a fantastic stop by Quick and a beauty of a goal by Kopitar, who lost at least three teeth in the first period but came back in the second and closed out the game. Love that guy. Also, Brayden Schenn looked like the real deal with five shots in the game and two great chances to score that Luongo denied him on. Luongo looked great until the shootout.

Unread 10-10-2010, 01:58 AM   #53
The People's

Yeah, Luongo has never been all that good in the shootout. I heard that some of the penalty calls were questionable, but I don't worry about that stuff too much, unless it's blatantly obvious that something is going on (ie. the Burrows/Auger incident). As a ref myself (albeit in soccer), I recognize that its a tough job and that the fans are not always going to agree with the calls on the ice.

The Canucks looked good in the opener. I saw a lot of flubbed shots, though, likely because it's the first game and everyone's timing is a little bit off. There were some golden opportunities for one-timers that later in the season would have been goals, or at least shots on net. Everyone clutches the stick a little tighter at the beginning of the season until they settle in.

It was nice to see the Canucks penalty kill do well, as it was one of the few weaknesses last season.

The rest of my thoughts, as well as those of my co-writer, are up on Pass it to Bulis: Pass it to Bulis: I Watched This Game: Canucks vs. Kings, October 9, 2010

Pass it to Bulis!
Hooray for Gooba! on MySpace | The Neverknown on MySpace | Ranch Barkner on MySpace | Jacqueline Deepsearch on MySpace

Catch for us the foxes, the little foxes that ruin the vineyards, our vineyards that are in bloom.

zXe
Unread 10-10-2010, 03:07 PM   #54

paid
Bruins bounce back with a 3-0 victory over the Coyotes in game two or the back to back games.
Thomas get's the shutout, i'm very happy. Lucic had a goal, so he now has two points in two games, and dang Horton, he has three goals in two games, what's up with that? It's awesome, he seems to be clicking perfectly with the Bruins thus far.
Seguin had his first NHL goal in the game this morning as well, sweet high pass from Ryder for the Seguin breakaway, it was awesome.
I'm so excited for this season!

Unread 10-10-2010, 04:24 PM   #55
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
Good to see the Sharks take 3 points out of Sweden with them.
Unread 10-11-2010, 12:56 AM   #56
leafy greens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlessdog View Post
Seguin had his first NHL goal in the game this morning as well, sweet high pass from Ryder for the Seguin breakaway, it was awesome.
I'm not complaining about the trade anymore(in fact, I love that we just went out and got Phil Kessel even though we overpaid for him), but every time I hear about Seguin doing something great I cringe.

Unread 10-11-2010, 09:41 AM   #57
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
It is hard to get excited about the Sharks when they play two games, then have a week off.
Unread 10-11-2010, 04:11 PM   #58

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
It is hard to get excited about the Sharks when they play two games, then have a week off.
Ditto, same for the Bruins.

Unread 10-12-2010, 10:45 AM   #59
The People's

Canucks got their first win of the season on the back of a solid 41-save performance from Luongo and two greasy goals from Daniel Sedin. Woo!

Pass it to Bulis!

zXe
Unread 10-12-2010, 01:03 PM   #60

paid
I want Daniel to get more points than Henrik this season, I feel he has gone overshadowed by his brother, when I Daniel still has the more points per game percentage.