Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-12-2010, 01:18 AM   #16
Hey, I can change this!!!

I agree with the roar of "keep it clear"!!

why bother with the thin outer skin (that tonally wont do anything anyway) if you're just gonna paint it?

luthier blog

Soundclick Developing Worship forum
martinedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-12-2010, 01:33 AM   #17
blessed beyond reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinedwards View Post
I agree with the roar of "keep it clear"!!

why bother with the thin outer skin (that tonally wont do anything anyway) if you're just gonna paint it?

Don't paint it. The wood is too interesting to cover with paint.
Unread 09-12-2010, 05:45 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoestring View Post
Stormin that's really close to what I had in mind. 'Cept I only want to go with one pickup. Are your pickups from GFS? Looks like those big pole tele pups.

A dog I was going to use parts that I already had available but this is turning out better than I expected so I may reconsider. I don't really like the bridges that I have. I have a pickup that will fit in it though that's a hotrails. I got it in a trade and have never tried it but I have been told that it is an exceptional pickup.
Yes, GFS Fatbodies. Great pickups! I have a Wilkinson compensated bridge in mine. About $35 from Guitarfetish.

My two cents on the finish.... I'd leave it natural. Pine is really tricky to stain. It tends to take stain rather uneavenly, particularly when you have knots and varying grain patterns, and you end up with a blotchy look. If you want to go with stain, test it first on a piece of the same wood that you have given the same preparation to.
Stormin1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2010, 06:21 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin1155 View Post
Yes, GFS Fatbodies. Great pickups! I have a Wilkinson compensated bridge in mine. About $35 from Guitarfetish.

My two cents on the finish.... I'd leave it natural. Pine is really tricky to stain. It tends to take stain rather uneavenly, particularly when you have knots and varying grain patterns, and you end up with a blotchy look. If you want to go with stain, test it first on a piece of the same wood that you have given the same preparation to.
I've heard great reviews on the fatbodies. I will eventually have to try some myself. I usually trade pickups with folks but for some reason no one ever wants to trade their fatbodies. I know, it just doesn't make any sense. **scratches head**

Only the inside "filler" is pine (actually spruce). The outer parts (that would be stained) is cedar. I work with wood quiet a lot. I'm not really fond of unstained wood. To me it just looks cheap or unfinished. Kinda like you didn't have any stain and just decided to complete the job. If that makes any sense. I will definately leave the grain of the wood and the knots showing. No paint on that part. I have to hide the spruce part somehow though and will probally paint around the edges similar to the burst look that comes on Les Pauls. The back will not be painted either.

This project will start to slow down now because I want to get a really good sanding job done on it.

One last thought. I'm open to feedback on this idea too. I made a pickguard from wood in the past and used a propane torch to burn the fade around the edges. It turned out exceptionally well. It looked "really" awesome. I've thought of doing the same thing with this guitar. I would try it out on a scrap piece of wood before torching the body though. I've also thought of laying something like a really hot piece of metal on it so that it would leave burn marks. Just a thought.
roscoestring is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2010, 09:53 AM   #20

I like your idea on the finish scheme. I think you should do a piece of metal or black or white plastic for the pickgaurd. I think it would be a nice offset to the wood tones on the guitar. A wood pickguard might get lost on there. That's just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

ABPOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2010, 10:35 AM   #21
blessed beyond reason

I don' know if you have the skills and/or tools, but how about a metal pickguard? I'm thinking of something like the one on Tai Anderson's bass (Third Day). I'll see if I can find a picture.

ETA: This isn't the best pic, but for some reason, I couldn't find a better shot.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by OiBoyz; 09-12-2010 at 11:01 AM.
OiBoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2010, 03:05 PM   #22

Check it out! I put the neck on. I installed the jack thingy, some straplock buttons, the control plate.
A couple more pix for you viewing pleasure.

I just love wood. I mean I LOVE it. So I'm probally gonna stick with the wood guard idea. I don't think it will get lost. It will look differently enough that it'll stand out.
Unread 09-12-2010, 09:39 PM   #23
I AM A BASS PLAYER

Send a message via AIM to Josey Wales Send a message via Yahoo to Josey Wales
dude i dig the concept, can't wait to see the end result

"I'M GONNA GIVE YOU A BAD CASE OF SOMBODY SHOT ME IN THE HEAD"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Cowboy In Me (Blog) I My Guitar Build: The Making Of The DISASTERCASTER
The New Restoration Project: The Making Of The JEMCASTER I NEW BASS: PAINT 'N' STUFF

FaceBook I ALL SAINTS DAY I ASD facebook I ASD reverb nation I BREAKING THE TIDE
Josey Wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 08:16 AM   #24

Unread 09-13-2010, 08:17 AM   #25
I AM A BASS PLAYER

hey mikey i think he likes it

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The New Restoration Project: The Making Of The JEMCASTER I NEW BASS: PAINT 'N' STUFF

FaceBook I ALL SAINTS DAY I ASD facebook I ASD reverb nation I BREAKING THE TIDE
Unread 09-13-2010, 08:29 AM   #26
blessed beyond reason

That's purty. How heavy is this thing?
Unread 09-13-2010, 09:42 AM   #27

I haven't weighed it yet but it is lighter than a standard tele or strat.
I've also painted the outer edges now. I'm waiting for it to dry.
When I get back from a doctor appointment I'll post up some pix.
Unread 09-13-2010, 09:50 AM   #28
I AM A BASS PLAYER

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoestring View Post
DUDE is that a fried egg sandwich way up in the right corner, because it's making me freaking hungry

Unread 09-13-2010, 09:56 AM   #29

She's looking good! Very good!
ABPOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 12:11 PM   #30

I really like the pickguard. Looks like you still have some major sanding marks. If you are after the real rustic look, that gets you there, but I'd probably sand it out more.
Stormin1155 is offline   Reply With Quote