Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-14-2010, 09:17 PM   #1

I went to a couple of guitar stores today. I played some things I liked. Not really sure what to do yet.

But does anyone else have this problem? The times I've been to a guitar store, there's so much noise. I wish these places would give you like little playing booths that you could test them out.

The second store I went to, music go round, they play music in the store rather loudly. Because you know, the workers would be bored if they couldn't rock out at work. My son is playing the piano, there's a metal head checking out an amp with all the distortion you could muster out of one amp, and there is a worker walking around with an Amp strapped to himself cordless somehow playing riffs here and there. And here I am just trying to tune a stupid electric without an amp. For a little bit, I just sat there and stared with a guitar in my hand.

The first store I went to, there was of course your typical metal head showing off all his harmonic moves and power chords to be so heavy. Then when he left, another had to come in after about 10 minutes.

Anyways, that's my vent. But on to the technical.

I had a really hard time getting something to sound in tune. Part of it was, most of the new fenders I played have like 9's on them and they bend so easy over the frets. Even some of the lower frets I would notice I may press a little hard for it. I think thicker strings would remedy that, but it's hard to know what it's going to be like.

I play chords mostly and I'm not there to bust all these lead moves to impress everyone. Which I don't do much of anyways. But I'm telling you, it was a real challenge finding something that fit for my style. Part of it is me. I always have a really hard time with the G string, I either want to go too high with it or too low with it with tuning. And once the G is off, the rest is off. The other part is nothing is ever in tune, which I already knew that was going to be. And trying to tune with all the commotion, just isn't any fun.

I found tele's and strats that I liked. A couple of the mexicans I played actually seemed right on. And the American Strat I played was really nice too. This place had mostly new stuff. They were selling a standard Tele or strat MIM for $459 with a gig bag. Brand new. Which I thought was pretty good. One of the colors is actually pretty nice in the standard also. Some really dark red, like whine or something. Sharp.

Then there is a dilemma I have. I like certain things about the tele, and I have some dislikes. And the same goes for the strat. The Strat's body is more comfy and the neck profile is better. IMHO. However, the sound of the strat sometimes doesn't sit well with me and I don't like that middle pick up for sure. It just gets in my way sometimes. I like the Tele's flatness to it. It seems to say "strum me" to me. And I like the feel of it. Although the 72 reissue seemed better to me because on the back side, it's not flat like most of them. It has the sort of cut out that leans on your chest like a Strat, which I think is nice.

And I also wonder if there is another guitar other than fender that would fit my still. I played 2 ibanez' now and they haven't flipped my trigger. I think I played 1 peavey today briefly and I thought it was OK, but didn't feel as nice as the Fenders.

And then I saw on the Gibson website a thing called the "Wilshire" and my curiousity is piqued.

I know at some point I'll have to quit thinking about it and just do it if I want one. But the other side of me wants to research it a great deal in order for me to feel right about the choice I have. But I suppose you just do your best, get something that is close and set it up best you can, and if it doesn't work, move onto something else.

If I had to choose one from today, it would've been the tele 72 reissues deluxe. With a strat coming in close second. That's my gut feeling today. I think if I go strat though, I'm going to have to reposition the pickups, or get new ones. Which brings me to a point about Fenders, they seem like they have a little more flexibility in what you can do with them. Swap necks, pick ups. Where another type you can just do pick ups.

I'm open to comments. Anybody have any experience with this Gibson /Epiphone wilshire? Or any Epiphone that could work? Or something else? I wonder if a Rickenbacker wouldn't be a good choice. Except I think they might be a little more than I want to spend. I don't know.

And by the way, thanks for listening!

Last edited by ABPOS; 11-06-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-15-2010, 12:03 PM   #2
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Would you consider buying a Strat that sounded and felt good to you, then getting a pickguard that didn't have a middle pickup in it at all, and re-mounting the electronics in there, with a bridge and neck pickup only, and a three-way switch?

Unread 08-15-2010, 12:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
Would you consider buying a Strat that sounded and felt good to you, then getting a pickguard that didn't have a middle pickup in it at all, and re-mounting the electronics in there, with a bridge and neck pickup only, and a three-way switch?
That's funny, when I woke up this morning, the thought you just said kept recurring to me. I played a Mexican Standard Strat at Music Go Round yesterday, in that dark red wine color I liked, and I liked how it played. It was one of the ones at the end. But they only wanted like 239 for it if my memory is correct. It looked just like the new one the other store had, but I think it was much cheaper because it had a scratch on it. Which I'm pretty sure I could care less about. Then that would give me some extra money to reconfigure it. I'm not really sure how exactly I would do it and how much it would cost, but I know it can be done. And I think I might get the best of both worlds with this approach. I think you can even take 2 single coils and put them together in one spot. Which then all I'd need is a pickguard. And you can use the same selector switch and you have basically a humbucker in one of the positions. Sort of, I guess. And this kind of overcomes the things I don't like about the strat which is sometimes I think they sound kind of strange (to twangy or tinny), but changing pickups around or even getting new ones could overcome this.

I have been praying about it and I get the sense that this may be the better route. Either way I don't think that one I saw yesterday will be that exact one, but I'll at least know what direction to start working towards. I don't have all the money I need yet. I am going to sell something that will give me enough, but I haven't done it yet. I could just put it on the CC and pay it off, but that's not the way I roll with things that aren't a necessity. I already have an acoustic to play. But like I said, finding something a little cheaper that I can customize will give me some leaway with pickups and then money towards an amp.

It will give me some time to research what exactly I want to do with the pick ups. I like the sound of the single coil on the neck, so I'd rather move 2 up there and then possibly get a humbucker for the bridge. But I'm still unsure what pickguards are available. And which humbucker to get.

You got any suggestions? I saw these "black Dove" humbuckers on a new tele that one might be kind of good for the bridge. Or just put two in of those.
Unread 08-15-2010, 01:08 PM   #4
I'm on a horse.

The best plan, I think, is to get a Strat that you like the feel of, slap one of these on:
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Dual-P90...ite_p_244.html
Dual P90/HB Pre Wired Pickguard- Black

And you'll be ready to rock.

Unread 08-15-2010, 04:07 PM   #5
I AM A BASS PLAYER

Send a message via AIM to Josey Wales Send a message via Yahoo to Josey Wales
dude i have that same problem at guitar center near me. i go in loud music, lots of people in there shredding away. usually i just go in there for parts now. but whats worse is the theres a best buy near me that now has a guitar shop in it. i went in once just to check out some strats and tele's and the workers were jaming as loud as humanly possible.... one was on drums one was on 6 string and one on bass.. i could barely think.... they wouldn't help me out either when i wanted to grab the strat way at the top of the rack, they do have little booths but it was useless.

so i did find the perfect store, musicianss superstore and it's right between the GC and best buy. everytime i go in there, there isn't many people, they do sometimes have music or a music dvd on, like laast time it was the crossroads guitar festival so i sat and watched for a little. but it isn't to loud. i picked up a guitar, got it tuned up played it a while just me it was pretty cool, the people there are awesome too. so from now on i will go there.

"I'M GONNA GIVE YOU A BAD CASE OF SOMBODY SHOT ME IN THE HEAD"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Cowboy In Me (Blog) I My Guitar Build: The Making Of The DISASTERCASTER
The New Restoration Project: The Making Of The JEMCASTER I NEW BASS: PAINT 'N' STUFF

FaceBook I ALL SAINTS DAY I ASD facebook I ASD reverb nation I BREAKING THE TIDE
Unread 08-15-2010, 07:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
The best plan, I think, is to get a Strat that you like the feel of, slap one of these on:
Dual P90/HB Style Strat pickguard- Prewired- White
Dual P90/HB Pre Wired Pickguard- Black

And you'll be ready to rock.
WOW! Thank your for this advice. I could be closer to the set up I want then I think. Who makes those P-90's? Warmoth is selling a single p-90(duncans) for 82 bucks. What gives?

I still really like the idea of the Tele Deluxe RI 72, but this would be the next best thing and not cost as much. And it would probably sound pretty darn good. But it just seems like that price is WAY too good. If it's good stuff, I'm pretty excited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey wales View Post
dude i have that same problem at guitar center near me. i go in loud music, lots of people in there shredding away. usually i just go in there for parts now. but whats worse is the theres a best buy near me that now has a guitar shop in it. i went in once just to check out some strats and tele's and the workers were jaming as loud as humanly possible.... one was on drums one was on 6 string and one on bass.. i could barely think.... they wouldn't help me out either when i wanted to grab the strat way at the top of the rack, they do have little booths but it was useless.

so i did find the perfect store, musicianss superstore and it's right between the GC and best buy. everytime i go in there, there isn't many people, they do sometimes have music or a music dvd on, like laast time it was the crossroads guitar festival so i sat and watched for a little. but it isn't to loud. i picked up a guitar, got it tuned up played it a while just me it was pretty cool, the people there are awesome too. so from now on i will go there.
So that's what they call that? Shredding? Hehehe Well, to each his own, but I wish the stores around here would have booths like you're talking about and/ or at the least not play the house music so loud. I can understand guys being loud, testing out amps and such, but add to that all the commotion by the workers and it's just plain ridiculous. Best Buy won't sell too many guitars that way for sure.

Last edited by thesteve; 08-16-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Unread 08-16-2010, 01:00 AM   #7
I'm on a horse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABPOS View Post
WOW! Thank your for this advice. I could be closer to the set up I want then I think. Who makes those P-90's? Warmoth is selling a single p-90(duncans) for 82 bucks. What gives?

I still really like the idea of the Tele Deluxe RI 72, but this would be the next best thing and not cost as much. And it would probably sound pretty darn good. But it just seems like that price is WAY too good. If it's good stuff, I'm pretty excited.

That's a really nice axe, too. Darn sexy!

Unread 08-16-2010, 11:27 AM   #8

Yes it is. I actually like the mahogany colored one better. And they had one at that shop. It played nice too. I could go either way on this one. But this one is $690 new. And I'm starting to find strats that I like for much less. It's not an easy choice though, because this one is nice.
Unread 08-16-2010, 07:31 PM   #9
Tired of being attacked

I'm just going to throw this out...

I am NOT fond of P90s with a strat formula. I don't find they sound right. That said...

I would go with a partscaster or warmoth here for budget. Honestly, I'd probably grab a pine body or poplar off of ebay or warmoth if you want a solid color, a tele neck, and a set of humbuckers or whatever you like. If you do go with a tele, I got some interesting info from someone last week on the bridges.

a coat of black nitro, and one or two of clear would yield a nice, thin finish that would look good. Especially if you don't want a super glossy black.

I am not fond of the new, import peavey's at all.

My Life.
Unread 08-16-2010, 10:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
I'm just going to throw this out...

I am NOT fond of P90s with a strat formula. I don't find they sound right. That said...

I would go with a partscaster or warmoth here for budget. Honestly, I'd probably grab a pine body or poplar off of ebay or warmoth if you want a solid color, a tele neck, and a set of humbuckers or whatever you like. If you do go with a tele, I got some interesting info from someone last week on the bridges.

a coat of black nitro, and one or two of clear would yield a nice, thin finish that would look good. Especially if you don't want a super glossy black.

I am not fond of the new, import peavey's at all.

You got any thoughts on this Epiphone Wilshire? I have yet to see one on a shelf, but I'm intrigued.
Gibson.com: Epiphone 1966 Wilshire

I am very fond of a tele. I'm not sure what you're saying with all that other than you think I can build one. I'm not so sure it's a good idea. I could just go with a plane jain tele, or this deluxe model. The Plain Jane Mexican I played at the first store on saturday was pretty nice. I wouldn't complain and the price wasn't bad. I feel like the neck on a Strat has a little better feel to it and that shaping on the body that rests against your chest is nice. Which this deluxe has.

What don't you like about the P90's and a strat? I wouldn't have a clue as I don't think I've ever been around one. I have seen a bunch of them with a humbucker by the bridge. Which, could be cool, but that still leaves me with the fact that I don't want that middle pick up. I am still toying with somehow just moving it up closer to the neck pick up. Even if I had to cut out my own pickgaurd. That could work.

So.... I don't know if I know anything more except I like aspects of both. There may have been a reason I always settled on a tele in my younger days.

So, let me get this straight, a Gibson has a little bit less wider neck than a fender?
Unread 08-16-2010, 11:03 PM   #11
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
You got any thoughts on this Epiphone Wilshire? I have yet to see one on a shelf, but I'm intrigued.
Gibson.com: Epiphone 1966 Wilshire

I am very fond of a tele. I'm not sure what you're saying with all that other than you think I can build one. I'm not so sure it's a good idea. I could just go with a plane jain tele, or this deluxe model. The Plain Jane Mexican I played at the first store on saturday was pretty nice. I wouldn't complain and the price wasn't bad. I feel like the neck on a Strat has a little better feel to it and that shaping on the body that rests against your chest is nice. Which this deluxe has.
Really it is four screws and a tiny bit of soldering and then a basic set up. Easy stuff.
Quote:
What don't you like about the P90's and a strat?
Just doesn't sound right. It has a bit of a brittle tonality. The p90 goes better IMO with a mahogany necked guitar.
Quote:
I wouldn't have a clue as I don't think I've ever been around one. I have seen a bunch of them with a humbucker by the bridge. Which, could be cool, but that still leaves me with the fact that I don't want that middle pick up. I am still toying with somehow just moving it up closer to the neck pick up. Even if I had to cut out my own pickgaurd. That could work.
Or there are tons of custom places that will cut you one for around $30.
Quote:
So.... I don't know if I know anything more except I like aspects of both. There may have been a reason I always settled on a tele in my younger days.
I like teles, but they are very simple machines.
Quote:
So, let me get this straight, a Gibson has a little bit less wider neck than a fender?
no. It all depends. a 60's neck is pretty slim. The 50's neck is not IIRC, (well the neck they call 50s contour, my 1951 is fairly medium-slim). I have a really beefy Gibson neck. They are a bit shorter as a rule. 24 3/4 as opposed to 25.5.

My Life.

Last edited by thesteve; 08-17-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Unread 08-17-2010, 09:35 AM   #12

It's strange because the fender website says the neck scale is 24" for a strat and 25.5" for a tele. I would've thought it was the other way around. And you're saying the Gibson is shorter also. I like the shorter.

You didn't say anything about the Wilshire. Have you seen one yet? It seems like it might be a new product.

Last night I watched a Newsboys DVD for some inspiration. It is a live Houston show for the Go tour. Great video and I highly recommend it. The lead guitarist played a Les Paul mostly, about 3 songs with a tele and 3 or 4 with a strat. They all do sound very different. Peter was playing two hollow bodies and one was a gretsch. I was on Gretsch's website the other day just DROOLING. They even make solid body guitars, which I had forgotten. I think some of them were somewhat reasonable in price, but others were out of this world. Kind of like the Gibson Website.

I am really wondering if a hollow body wouldn't fit my requirements. More of a clean sound with strumming and open chords, bar chords. Not so much screaming leads, ehehehe. If I found the right epiphone, I don't think that would be a bad thing. Jars of clay seem to use hollow bodies quite a bit too, I think.

You got any input on any of what I just said? The strat just makes me nervous. I like the way they feel and play, except I'm really not crazy about their sound and I never was. You can probably change that with some tweaking, but I'd hate to buy one and not be happy with it. Of course, that's the dilemma with any of them I guess. Like I said before, at some point I'll just have to bite the bullet and make it work as best I can with whatever amp I get.

Thanks for letting me think aloud guys and keep your input coming if you want.
Unread 08-17-2010, 09:45 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
It's strange because the fender website says the neck scale is 24" for a strat and 25.5" for a tele. I would've thought it was the other way around. And you're saying the Gibson is shorter also. I like the shorter.
You should check again. Both the Stratocaster and Telecaster scale lengths should be 25.5".

I'm a podcaster
Unread 08-17-2010, 09:48 AM   #14
I AM A BASS PLAYER

Send a message via AIM to Josey Wales Send a message via Yahoo to Josey Wales
dude,
get one of these

john lennon and george harrison played a rickenbacker at some point.

i realize it's a little different than what you were talking about, but you were talking about gretsch, so i thought i'd throw this out there...

"I'M GONNA GIVE YOU A BAD CASE OF SOMBODY SHOT ME IN THE HEAD"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Cowboy In Me (Blog) I My Guitar Build: The Making Of The DISASTERCASTER
The New Restoration Project: The Making Of The JEMCASTER I NEW BASS: PAINT 'N' STUFF

FaceBook I ALL SAINTS DAY I ASD facebook I ASD reverb nation I BREAKING THE TIDE
Unread 08-17-2010, 10:26 AM   #15
Tired of being attacked

Quote:

You didn't say anything about the Wilshire. Have you seen one yet? It seems like it might be a new product.
Heard of it, have seen pictures, haven't played one. Not really my cup of tea. For a double humbucker guitar I really like a Les Paul best.
Quote:
Last night I watched a Newsboys DVD for some inspiration. It is a live Houston show for the Go tour. Great video and I highly recommend it. The lead guitarist played a Les Paul mostly, about 3 songs with a tele and 3 or 4 with a strat. They all do sound very different. Peter was playing two hollow bodies and one was a gretsch. I was on Gretsch's website the other day just DROOLING. They even make solid body guitars, which I had forgotten. I think some of them were somewhat reasonable in price, but others were out of this world. Kind of like the Gibson Website.
I would never pay new prices. I own a ton of Gibsons, a good number of which were under $500.
Quote:
I am really wondering if a hollow body wouldn't fit my requirements. More of a clean sound with strumming and open chords, bar chords. Not so much screaming leads, ehehehe. If I found the right epiphone, I don't think that would be a bad thing. Jars of clay seem to use hollow bodies quite a bit too, I think.
Maybe semi hollow would be my thought. I really like mine. Full hollow can get a bit feedbacky with the distortion up. I have a Gibson Lucille I picked up on the cheap and I really, really like it.
Quote:
You got any input on any of what I just said? The strat just makes me nervous. I like the way they feel and play, except I'm really not crazy about their sound and I never was. You can probably change that with some tweaking, but I'd hate to buy one and not be happy with it. Of course, that's the dilemma with any of them I guess. Like I said before, at some point I'll just have to bite the bullet and make it work as best I can with whatever amp I get.
You can never fully destrat a strat. Trust me, I have tried. I HATE the way my playing sounds with a strat. I think a hardtail one might not have that be the case, but to me the trem adds a certain springiness to the sound that drives me crazy.

Quote:
Thanks for letting me think aloud guys and keep your input coming if you want.

I like building, but right now, I would guess that you probably should go with your favorite guitar. I find that no matter what gear I have, I want to still get that guitar I wanted in the first place. Hence why I have gone through probably 70+ guitars and I have an LP Custom that I am happy as a clam with.

Though, if you like the epi wilshire, I think the gretsch vibe is along the same vein. (The Italian guitars of the 60s which kind of inspire the Wilshire are 3 grand usually when I have seen them, and not that great.)

Rics tend to have a really slim neck. You will either find it extremely comfortable or uncomfortable. I have tiny hands so the Ric neck is a nice fit.

My Life.
Closed Thread