Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-26-2010, 07:29 PM   #106
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
All Les Pauls are like that. Anything with an arched carved top, really.

Sponsored Links
Unread 08-27-2010, 08:46 AM   #107

Yeah, but the Les Paul Jr. I had was more so than a normal one. And it's top really isn't arched, so it made it kind of even more dramatic. I felt like when I strummed I had to swing my elbow out to be more at a 90 degree angle with my strumming hand. If that makes sense.

It was a cool guitar though. It had one bridge pick up and I don't remember it being twangy at all.

Another thing I have to weigh into my decision is I'm not real fond of a super heavy guitar. I don't know how much a les paul weighs, but yeah, I'm kind of whimpy now. I had health problems and I only weigh about 130 pounds and something that weight 9 lbs will probably get to me after a while. Although I play mostly sitting now. I'll have to see how they feel.

I was on the gibson website though and the 50's reissue LP studios with some p90's are really beautiful and not overly expensive. I hope I get to play one to try one out. But they said the neck is even fatter on those suckers. They look awesome though. The color choices are a little bit different and nice. Not all sunburst and everything. I'm not a fan of the sunburst. I live real close to where Les Paul lived. Hehehehehe
Unread 08-30-2010, 12:00 PM   #108

Hopefully Bill will come back in my thread here. I played two gutiars this morning and have a question or two.

I played an Epiphone Dot and a Epiphone Les Paul. This guy is selling them and he lives right in my subdivision. I was kind of skeptical, this guy has one of those houses that isn't kept up and I don't think he's working, but he's got a nice Jeep. Case of beer laying on the back porch, back porch all messy and I don't think I even want to go inside, but he went inside and retrieved this Dot for me. And he seems to know his stuff. I thought it would be all beat up, and the outside of the hard case needs a good cleaning but the inside was clean. I need to invite him to church because, he just seems like he needs it.

Anyways, this Dot played REALLY well and I liked it a lot. The only downside is the body is kind of big. I'm not sure if I'm totally happy with that. But I tuned it up, he said he leaves them loose because they sit alot. He has like 17 some odd guitars, a bunch of amps all in the basement of a 900 sq ft home that has 4 kids in it. But, the guitar seemed pretty darn well taken care of and it stayed in tune after I tuned it once. It was marked DW04054783 and it had "grover" tuners. Are those anything special? They felt real nice. I'll try and get pics up tonight. Did I say it played real nice? I guess it was made in O4, it doesn't look like it was barely ever played. No scratches that I saw although the pickguard wasn't completely pristine. He wants $350 and it comes with a hard case. Is that a good price?

Then he pulls out an epiphone Les Paul. It's a red sparkly thing that is pretty nice also. It has the older tuners that has like almost a bluish look to them and they're marked epiphone. It said "special edition" on the back of the headstock. The serial number started with a U I think it's U01048324. Does that mean it was made in the US? He only was asking $350 for this one also. They were both really nice.

I like the smaller body of the LP, but that switch does seem like it would get in the way. I could possibly change that. But.... The Dot really SEEMED to feel better to me in the playing part. They both were very nice though. The LP didn't come with a hard case though. Just a gig bag. This guy says he has other stuff that he wants to get rid of too. Amps, etc.

I'll try to get pics up tonight, but are those decent prices? They seem pretty good to me. I know you can go get a Dot new for 400, but they don't usually have hard cases with them. And does the grover tuners mean anything?
Unread 08-30-2010, 12:15 PM   #109

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Grover is the stock tuner for those guitars I think. They are solid tuners, but nothing special.

$350 with case is a decent price for a Dot. I would say a really good price would be $300 or less.

The LP is probably something along these lines: Buy Epiphone Limited Edition Les Paul Standard Flake Electric Guitar | Solid Body Electric Guitars | Musician's Friend

AFAIK nothing really special about them except for the finish. They aren't MIA.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 08-30-2010, 02:09 PM   #110

After going on the Gibson forum, it appears that that serial number means China. For the Dot. The LP is actually Korean. The LP is different than what you linked steve. It has a pickguard in off white with the off white plastic around the pups. And the tuners are WAY different. The tuners look more vintage.

Why does the fact that the Dot was made in China make me feel differently about it? I didn't plug these in yet, are the electrics any worse from China to Korea to America? Or I guess I should say, are the same and if not, how do they compare?
Unread 08-30-2010, 05:14 PM   #111

Quote:
Well, the strings weren't completely parralell with the body. I'd draw you a picture if I know how to on line, but I don't. The neck was on a bit of an angle. It wasn't a lot, but some guitars are like that. The LP junior just seemed to more like that than any other I've ever seen.
I might be misunderstanding what you mean here, but usually when the strings aren't parallel with the neck it means either the neck is warped or the bridge is set too high. I would say 9/10 times the problem could be fixed with a simple neck adjustment or action changing.
If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Even if there is only one possible unified theory, it is just a set of rules and equations. What is it that breathes fire into the equations and makes a universe for them to describe? The usual approach of science of constructing a mathematical model cannot answer the questions of why there should be a universe for the model to describe. - Stephen Hawking
Unread 08-30-2010, 06:12 PM   #112
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
No, they're just supposed to be like that. Notice how an Gibson neck pocket is generally set:

Unread 08-30-2010, 06:42 PM   #113
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymoose View Post
I might be misunderstanding what you mean here, but usually when the strings aren't parallel with the neck it means either the neck is warped or the bridge is set too high. I would say 9/10 times the problem could be fixed with a simple neck adjustment or action changing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
No, they're just supposed to be like that. Notice how an Gibson neck pocket is generally set:

I think you two are talking past each other.

The neck is at an angle, and the strings are parallel to the fretboard.

My Life.
Unread 08-30-2010, 07:05 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABPOS View Post
Well, the strings weren't completely parralell with the body. I'd draw you a picture if I know how to on line, but I don't. The neck was on a bit of an angle. It wasn't a lot, but some guitars are like that. The LP junior just seemed to more like that than any other I've ever seen.
If you refer to exhibit A, you will see that I said not parallel with the body. I wasn't referring to the neck. Yes the neck is at a can't therefore so are the strings. It wasn't palatable to me on that particular guitar. The other Les Pauls I had weren't as dramatic and didn't bother me. The jr. did. Are we clear yet?

Here's exhibit B, this mornings journey:

Unread 08-30-2010, 07:08 PM   #115

Exhibit C:

I guess this one is on Ebay also, in case anyone is interested

Sorry my arm is in the way, my son took those pics and I didn't even know it, except for the last one.
Unread 08-30-2010, 07:21 PM   #116
Tired of being attacked

How old is the chinese guitar? My only beef with them is IME, some of them might not have been dried as well as some others.

My personal scale based on country goes like this. Obviously individual guitars vary.

USA-Japan
Korea-Mexico
China
Indonesia

YMMV

My Life.
Unread 08-30-2010, 08:15 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
How old is the chinese guitar? My only beef with them is IME, some of them might not have been dried as well as some others.

My personal scale based on country goes like this. Obviously individual guitars vary.

USA-Japan
Korea-Mexico
China
Indonesia

YMMV
From what I understand, the first two numbers are the year. Therefore, the Dot, which is Chinese from what I can tell, is 04. The LP started with a "U" and that means Korea, according to the gibson sight. Shoot man, I thought you'd be telling me!

Let me ask you this, for the LP, is a US made one worth 5-6 bills more. I mean that would be a low end one. I know you said you had a studio for 5 bills, which to me sounds really good. I'm still waiting on a picture.

I really feel like I like the feel and smaller scale of these guitars over the fenders. It's not that I DON'T like the Fenders, I just think I prefer these, playing wise. They both felt really good. The dots neck was thinner than the LP's which I really liked. But the LP's wasn't very fat compared to the last Epiphone LP I tried out.
Unread 08-30-2010, 09:01 PM   #118
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
From what I understand, the first two numbers are the year. Therefore, the Dot, which is Chinese from what I can tell, is 04. The LP started with a "U" and that means Korea, according to the gibson sight. Shoot man, I thought you'd be telling me!

Let me ask you this, for the LP, is a US made one worth 5-6 bills more. I mean that would be a low end one. I know you said you had a studio for 5 bills, which to me sounds really good. I'm still waiting on a picture.

I really feel like I like the feel and smaller scale of these guitars over the fenders. It's not that I DON'T like the Fenders, I just think I prefer these, playing wise. They both felt really good. The dots neck was thinner than the LP's which I really liked. But the LP's wasn't very fat compared to the last Epiphone LP I tried out.
The pickups will be SD JB Bridge/Alnico Pro II Neck I will replace the pickguard bracket with a chrome one. (It was originally gold, but the bridge was shot.) Tuners are upgraded to planet waves auto trim. The bridge is not shiny but is Gibson off an SG. Also, of course I will put a truss rod cover back on. I think mine is blank. There are LOTS of fingerprints on this guitar. It is not new looking or nearly as beat as the pictures currently look. I can clean it off tomorrow and get better pictures. At $500 I am not making money on this guitar. Actually, I'd be losing $50.

Would $550 be okay? This thing is totally tricked out.
Attached Thumbnails
img_3780.jpg   img_3781.jpg   img_3782.jpg  

My Life.
Unread 08-31-2010, 08:18 AM   #119

What is special about those tuners? They look like you might be able to tighten them or something? I'm not crazy how the bridge is a different color, but I guess that is fixable, eh? What would be the upside to buying this one over a brand new shiny epiphone? This one looks like it has seen a little bit of use? Are those pups much better? Etc Etc.
Unread 08-31-2010, 09:04 AM   #120
Hey ya'll, watch this!

Quote:
What is special about those tuners? They look like you might be able to tighten them or something? I'm not crazy how the bridge is a different color, but I guess that is fixable, eh? What would be the upside to buying this one over a brand new shiny epiphone? This one looks like it has seen a little bit of use? Are those pups much better? Etc Etc.
The tuners are an "upgrade" I suppose. The bridge is fixed easily and inexpensively enough. Personally, I'd go back to all gold hardware on that one.

The upside is simple enough. It has "Gibson" on the headstock. It's the real deal with or without the work he's put into it. A Les Paul, a real one, with a case is going to always get a good price. He's priced right on that one.
Closed Thread