Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-24-2010, 09:44 AM   #76
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABPOS View Post
Wow, very interesting! Yeah, Warmoth was the first place I looked and it seemed high to me. I'll check out your photos.

I will say this though, I am still in the process of defining what I want, and Rainier was spot on with that. So, it would be hard to define. Sometimes I feel like I want single coils, sometimes humbuckers, it's the fact that I'm not around people with amps and electric guitars right now that I have so little experience with them, except what I had 15 years ago. So anyways.

And thanks Bill, whenever you get a chance.
With a lot of labor, I'd say 300 could get a handbuilt guitar that was pretty awesome.

Warmoth can be done for around $500, and it is a good place to start getting your feet wet, as might a carvin bolt kit.

I like a lot of different things. 2 guitars might be what you really honestly want.

My Life.
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-24-2010, 09:55 AM   #77
I AM A BASS PLAYER

Send a message via AIM to Josey Wales Send a message via Yahoo to Josey Wales
yeah dude i agree with bill, you might just get 2 guitars. i have my fender with singles, and a tremolo, and my ibanez with double hum, and a stop tail bridge. different uses, different sounds.

"I'M GONNA GIVE YOU A BAD CASE OF SOMBODY SHOT ME IN THE HEAD"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Cowboy In Me (Blog) I My Guitar Build: The Making Of The DISASTERCASTER
The New Restoration Project: The Making Of The JEMCASTER I NEW BASS: PAINT 'N' STUFF

FaceBook I ALL SAINTS DAY I ASD facebook I ASD reverb nation I BREAKING THE TIDE
Unread 08-24-2010, 11:22 AM   #78
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Quote:
I don't see how someone can make a custom one for the same price as buying one. It just seems like looking at prices for parts, it would cost you 2k to build a nice guitar. And that's not including labor. At least from what I can tell. I'm basing most of that by going on Warmoth's website.
It's all about knowing where to look. If you're really interested in assembling your own guitar, it's really a matter of picking a price-point, and it probably can be done. 2K is definitely on the high side, but you can build a great guitar with a more reasonable budget (say, around $500) if you want.

Unread 08-24-2010, 01:57 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
It's all about knowing where to look. If you're really interested in assembling your own guitar, it's really a matter of picking a price-point, and it probably can be done. 2K is definitely on the high side, but you can build a great guitar with a more reasonable budget (say, around $500) if you want.
For some reason, I'd be real worried it would end up horrible if I did it. I have some craftsmen skills, but they're not all that refined.

Shad Peters, awesome website and guitars. What town are you at in Indy? My wife is from Alabama and I go through there every year. I don't know if I'm quite ready yet for what you do, yet it is very tempting.

Well Josey, you have a good point. 2 guitars. But I only want one at this point. I have a hard time believing that there isn't something that has a sound in between a LP and a Tele or Strat. I'm thinking a LP with single coils or tele / strat with humbuckers MIGHT fit the bill. Or something that is already out there. I just know from experience that the LP's seem to.... something to me, strong or something. And the fenders just too thin sometimes. I suppose coupling a Fender with a more "bassy or meaty" amp might remedy that or vice versa. A LP with a more bright amp, like a fender. I don't know. My amp knowledge of sounds is very limited though. A lot of what I used back in the day was solid state. I did end up using a tube amp in the end because I thought the tones were warmer and better sounding. I really don't want to go the route of a newfangled effect set up pedal this that or other thing. Too many choices for my brain I think. hehehehehe

What does your Ibanez sound like in comparison to the two Josey? I've heard a couple of you say the Ibanez sounds so different. What does it sound like?
Unread 08-24-2010, 02:13 PM   #80
I AM A BASS PLAYER

Send a message via AIM to Josey Wales Send a message via Yahoo to Josey Wales
well dude, having an ibanez, and having a fender i think the ibanez just sounds more crisp and clean.

and building your own, i built my fender for $112.00 bucks, i bought the different pieces didn't carve the body or anything. it still needs upgrade, but it's way worth it.

"I'M GONNA GIVE YOU A BAD CASE OF SOMBODY SHOT ME IN THE HEAD"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Cowboy In Me (Blog) I My Guitar Build: The Making Of The DISASTERCASTER
The New Restoration Project: The Making Of The JEMCASTER I NEW BASS: PAINT 'N' STUFF

FaceBook I ALL SAINTS DAY I ASD facebook I ASD reverb nation I BREAKING THE TIDE
Unread 08-24-2010, 06:36 PM   #81

Quote:

Shad Peters, awesome website and guitars. What town are you at in Indy? My wife is from Alabama and I go through there every year. I don't know if I'm quite ready yet for what you do, yet it is very tempting.

Well Josey, you have a good point. 2 guitars. But I only want one at this point. I have a hard time believing that there isn't something that has a sound in between a LP and a Tele or Strat. I'm thinking a LP with single coils or tele / strat with humbuckers MIGHT fit the bill. Or something that is already out there. I just know from experience that the LP's seem to.... something to me, strong or something. And the fenders just too thin sometimes. I suppose coupling a Fender with a more "bassy or meaty" amp might remedy that or vice versa. A LP with a more bright amp, like a fender. I don't know. My amp knowledge of sounds is very limited though. A lot of what I used back in the day was solid state. I did end up using a tube amp in the end because I thought the tones were warmer and better sounding. I really don't want to go the route of a newfangled effect set up pedal this that or other thing. Too many choices for my brain I think. hehehehehe

?
i dont actually live in indy, i live in muncie about an hour north east of indy, i go to ball state university there.

in regards to something between a fender and an lp, i'll tell you whats going to give you the sound that you are looking for. there are two major things that affect the sound of a guitar, the first is most obvious, the pickups, the second is often over looked and that is the wood that the body is made out of. woods like maple, ash, alder, and poplar, all have a lot more mid to high range quality, while woods like mahogany, and walnut have a lot of low end quality, this is why fenders are so much brighter than gibsons are and why gibsons tend to get a little dark and muddy sounding at times. for this reason a strat is never going to sound like an lp no matter what pickups you put in it and vice versa. combinations of these woods will result in more well rounded tonal signature for the guitar. i very often pair maple and walnut together becuase walnut has a very rich lower range while maple has an extremely crisp and clear mid and upper range the result is a guitar that has clear and bright cleans, but under distortion it will have very thick heavy and full tone while still remaining very crisp unlike lps which tend to get muddy under heavy distortion, or fenders which tend to be thin and lack the punch of an lp. all that to say wood choice will be a very critical in finding the guitar with the sound you want.

the other thing is obviously pickups, from what it sounds like i would suggest you either get some nice soapbars, or a set of coil taped buckers. the p90's are going to give you some of the bright sounds of fender single coils, but they are a fuller more well rounded sound, they carry a little more bass and midrange, not as thick and punch as humbuckers, but a good middle ground for what it seams that you want that would be my first recommendation. if you dont want to do that then you could get a guitar with buckers and coil tap them, then you can have singles when you want and buckers when you need a little more punch.
in either case the wood is going to play a big role in the sound you end up getting.

as for an amp, tubes are great, but you only get one sound, i have had my line 6 flextone III for around 4 years and i cannot say enough for it, i can get any sound you could dream out of it, and its pretty much tube quality sound, its not hard to use either, theres no screen its not complitcated at all, you just have a selector nob for which amp model you want to use and the rest is like a normal amp you have your eq volume, gain, and all that. i dont plan on ever buying another amp until this one explodes which i hope is after im dead.

one thing i cant help you with is what manufactured guitars would have the qualities i listed above but this might help you know what to look for a little bit though.
just my 2c but i hope its helpful in your endevour.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/petersinstruments/ http://petersinstruments.com/
Unread 08-24-2010, 06:59 PM   #82
Arnold Palmers FTW

Send a message via AIM to jamforchrist123 Send a message via Skype™ to jamforchrist123
Quote:
Originally Posted by shad peters View Post
i dont actually live in indy, i live in muncie about an hour north east of indy, i go to ball state university there.

in regards to something between a fender and an lp, i'll tell you whats going to give you the sound that you are looking for. there are two major things that affect the sound of a guitar, the first is most obvious, the pickups, the second is often over looked and that is the wood that the body is made out of. woods like maple, ash, alder, and poplar, all have a lot more mid to high range quality, while woods like mahogany, and walnut have a lot of low end quality, this is why fenders are so much brighter than gibsons are and why gibsons tend to get a little dark and muddy sounding at times. for this reason a strat is never going to sound like an lp no matter what pickups you put in it and vice versa. combinations of these woods will result in more well rounded tonal signature for the guitar. i very often pair maple and walnut together becuase walnut has a very rich lower range while maple has an extremely crisp and clear mid and upper range the result is a guitar that has clear and bright cleans, but under distortion it will have very thick heavy and full tone while still remaining very crisp unlike lps which tend to get muddy under heavy distortion, or fenders which tend to be thin and lack the punch of an lp. all that to say wood choice will be a very critical in finding the guitar with the sound you want.

the other thing is obviously pickups, from what it sounds like i would suggest you either get some nice soapbars, or a set of coil taped buckers. the p90's are going to give you some of the bright sounds of fender single coils, but they are a fuller more well rounded sound, they carry a little more bass and midrange, not as thick and punch as humbuckers, but a good middle ground for what it seams that you want that would be my first recommendation. if you dont want to do that then you could get a guitar with buckers and coil tap them, then you can have singles when you want and buckers when you need a little more punch.
in either case the wood is going to play a big role in the sound you end up getting.

as for an amp, tubes are great, but you only get one sound, i have had my line 6 flextone III for around 4 years and i cannot say enough for it, i can get any sound you could dream out of it, and its pretty much tube quality sound, its not hard to use either, theres no screen its not complitcated at all, you just have a selector nob for which amp model you want to use and the rest is like a normal amp you have your eq volume, gain, and all that. i dont plan on ever buying another amp until this one explodes which i hope is after im dead.

one thing i cant help you with is what manufactured guitars would have the qualities i listed above but this might help you know what to look for a little bit though.
just my 2c but i hope its helpful in your endevour.
Dude you live in Muncie? I'm going to have to come jam with you or something sometime as I go to Anderson so that's like ten minutes away!
Unread 08-24-2010, 07:29 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamforchrist123 View Post
Dude you live in Muncie? I'm going to have to come jam with you or something sometime as I go to Anderson so that's like ten minutes away!
where do you go to church?

Unread 08-24-2010, 07:32 PM   #84
I'm on a horse.

Quote:
As far amps go (though this is probably for an amps thread), there are tons of super-versatile tube amps out there. Plus the possibility of distortion pedals, one tube amp can get an infinite combination of sounds.

(Don't get me wrong, though, I'm no "tube amp purist" by any stretch, I've used a PODxt for several years and my current main gigging amp is a solid state preamp/tube power amp hybrid)

Unread 08-24-2010, 07:35 PM   #85

Quote:

snip your quote for sake of room.

Are the P-90's what you see on most of the LP's where there is like a chrome plate over them?

Thank you extremely much for helping me. I will take to heart your wisdom. I know that some of the Ibanez and PRS use combinations of wood. I'll have to keep it in mind. You've made some excellent points and you obviously know a thing or two about guitars.
Unread 08-24-2010, 07:48 PM   #86

Quote:
snip your quote for sake of room.

Are the P-90's what you see on most of the LP's where there is like a chrome plate over them?

Thank you extremely much for helping me. I will take to heart your wisdom. I know that some of the Ibanez and PRS use combinations of wood. I'll have to keep it in mind. You've made some excellent points and you obviously know a thing or two about guitars.
p-90's (also called soapbars) are not actually what most lps have in them. Gibson used them until the advent of humbuckers (not sure when that was exactly) but they are essentially just a reallly fat single coil, they will have a chrome cover on them but they are slightly narrower than humbuckers. i you see a guitar like a gibson with chrome covers and there is only one row of screws its probably a p90

Unread 08-24-2010, 07:52 PM   #87
I'm on a horse.

Quote:
p-90's (also called soapbars) are not actually what most lps have in them. Gibson used them until the advent of humbuckers (not sure when that was exactly) but they are essentially just a reallly fat single coil, they will have a chrome cover on them but they are slightly narrower than humbuckers. i you see a guitar like a gibson with chrome covers and there is only one row of screws its probably a p90
Actually, there are two styles of P-90 (just referring to the type of mount it has on it), "soapbar" and "dog ear".

Seth Lover introduced the humbucker in 1956, I believe.

Unread 08-24-2010, 08:02 PM   #88
Tired of being attacked

P90s are also really noisy. Now don't get me wrong. I love P90s.

However...

If you really want a tele guitar that rips and an lp, I think anything between will compromise both. Both are kind of at opposite ends of the sonic spectrum. Both happen to be my favorite types of guitars.

I also love tube amps. I dislike most of the solid state amps out there. (most, mind you, not all) I think line6 makes some nice stuff, but to be blunt, I don't like their low end stuff for serious play. A small tube amp would be inexpensive and I would probably go with that for a self described minimalist.

I am absolutely in love with the clean tones of silverfaced princetons and my musicmaster bass amp. (mine has the odd tubes, not 6v6) Both are rugged, and the musicmaster bass has the advantage of being the lightest combo I have played with a 12 inch speaker, bar none.

Quote:
. i you see a guitar like a gibson with chrome covers and there is only one row of screws its probably a p90
I disagree, thats most likely a covered humbucker. I have owned an LP standard, custom, sg standard, lp studio and all had that style.

only rare p90s are covered by chrome. (mostly for epis actually and a very few aftermarkets)

My Life.
Unread 08-25-2010, 09:14 AM   #89

Bill, those are P90's on that guitar in your Avatar picture, correct?
Unread 08-25-2010, 01:53 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
P90s are also really noisy. Now don't get me wrong. I love P90s.

However...

If you really want a tele guitar that rips and an lp, I think anything between will compromise both. Both are kind of at opposite ends of the sonic spectrum. Both happen to be my favorite types of guitars.

I disagree, thats most likely a covered humbucker. I have owned an LP standard, custom, sg standard, lp studio and all had that style.

only rare p90s are covered by chrome. (mostly for epis actually and a very few aftermarkets)
my apologies bill's right, im not trying to mislead anyone about p90 covers, i was just working off
of an inaccurate mental catalog.

however in regards to your comments that anything in the middle will compromise both that is simply not the case. it may be the case that there are not a lot of mass produced guitars out there that fit the bill, and with that could probably agree, but if you are looking for something that falls somewhere between the two then it can definitely be done. obviously you will compromise a little bit and if fenders and lps are your favorite type of guitar then you might not like it, but if you feel as Abpos that a fender is often to "thin" and an lp is to "thick" it is perfectly reasonable to get a guitar that falls in the middle without compromising tone clarity and versatility. i can say so pretty confidently as the owner of several guitars that do just that.
if your primary experience is with manufactured guitars then i could see how anyone would think that, its on of my major frustrations with manufacturers, theres really very little variety out there when it comes down to it.

Closed Thread