Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-23-2010, 02:57 PM   #61
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by josey wales View Post
dude, what music go round site are you visiting, because all the music go round websites i know of just have pics of instruments, and workers helping customers, not busty babes.... so i think that would be pretty strange too, not even guitar center does that...
I think he means the Dean website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABPOS View Post
Now here's another thing, I think I have pretty much ruled out a Strat. After playing these ones this morning and then playing the "Starcaster", the neck is so wide on the "Starcasters" that it felt awkward.
Remember that the "Fender Starcaster" is a supercheap Chinese model that doesn't compare at all to the American and Mexican Fenders (it's more comparable in quality to a Squier Affinity model). It might not be an actual "wider" neck, the radius is probably significantly flatter on the Starcaster than a real American Fender, making it feel chunkier.

Last edited by thesteve; 08-23-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-23-2010, 03:17 PM   #62
I AM A BASS PLAYER

Send a message via AIM to Josey Wales Send a message via Yahoo to Josey Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
I think he means the Dean website.
oh, lol... hehe i should learn how to read... at least i defend the companies i love right.

Quote:
Remember that the "Fender Starcaster" is a supercheap Chinese model that doesn't compare at all to the American and Mexican Fenders (it's more comparable in quality to a Squier Affinity model). It might not be an actual "wider" neck, the radius is probably significantly flatter on the Starcaster than a real American Fender, making it feel chunkier.
if this is so, then why is it that my neck, one that comes off a starcaster feels just fine, just the same as a real strat in fact thats why i never bothered getting a new neck after i got this. do you think that i just lucked out.

"I'M GONNA GIVE YOU A BAD CASE OF SOMBODY SHOT ME IN THE HEAD"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Cowboy In Me (Blog) I My Guitar Build: The Making Of The DISASTERCASTER
The New Restoration Project: The Making Of The JEMCASTER I NEW BASS: PAINT 'N' STUFF

FaceBook I ALL SAINTS DAY I ASD facebook I ASD reverb nation I BREAKING THE TIDE

Last edited by thesteve; 08-23-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Unread 08-23-2010, 04:14 PM   #63

Quote:
Aaaah, good point. Darn it, you just made it harder again. hehehehe I forgot if the necks are that much different. Next time I go to the stores, I'll have to play a narrower neck and then a strat just to see. All I know is I seem to favor the narrower, and I do remember that being the case when I used to play a lot 'back in the day'.

Yeah, the dean website was, well.... distasteful and I don't recommend it for us Christians. I suppose if your single that's one thing, but the computer can be the devils playground for sure.
Unread 08-23-2010, 06:20 PM   #64

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by josey wales View Post
if this is so, then why is it that my neck, one that comes off a starcaster feels just fine, just the same as a real strat in fact thats why i never bothered getting a new neck after i got this. do you think that i just lucked out.
I've played a number of Stratocasters and never felt like there was a consistent "neck". My MIJ's neck doesn't feel like any other neck I've played. MIM and MIA necks have a bit of a different feel to them too. I've found Squier Affinity necks I've hated and ones that were solid.

All this to say that it's totally possible to get a great feeling neck on one of Fender's budget guitars. I think the consistency increases as you go up though. A friend of mine had a Starcaster and I swore you could slice vegetables on the frets because they were sticking out so far. I would definitely not rule out a Stratocaster based on the performance of a sub-$100 instrument.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 08-23-2010, 07:08 PM   #65
I'm on a horse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
I've played a number of Stratocasters and never felt like there was a consistent "neck". My MIJ's neck doesn't feel like any other neck I've played. MIM and MIA necks have a bit of a different feel to them too. I've found Squier Affinity necks I've hated and ones that were solid.
Same tends to go for Telecaster necks.

The rolled fingerboards on American Fenders also tend to feel a lot nicer than import models.

Unread 08-23-2010, 08:26 PM   #66

Quote:
Same tends to go for Telecaster necks.

The rolled fingerboards on American Fenders also tend to feel a lot nicer than import models.
Yeah, point taken. I just noticed on the Fender website that there are different sized nuts too. The standard strat and tele have 1.65". And they have a few models that have 1.625" and some that are 1.675". And the radii vary from 7.5" to 12" on different models. There's so many combos, it'll make your head spin. I remember liking the standard Tele and Strat both. But I'm still in the thought that they both sound kind of thin at times. I think the greatest set up is something with humbuckers that are splittable. Lot's of different sounds to be had than. That Anthem had a tap switch. As do some of the PRS's.

Well, lots more guitars to play. Bill, you got a picture of that studio you're selling?
Unread 08-23-2010, 09:49 PM   #67

just a thought, have you ever thought of a custom guitar? (i am biased i build guitars so its always my answer) if you really want to get the best of different worlds then imho its the way to go, you can choose your body style, and alter it to fit your wants (chest carve for comfort ect.) choose your pickups, your fret scale, neck profile, neck joint, body wood pickups, the whole bit. you end up with a guitar that is specifically molded to your needs and playing style, im willing to bet you could find a builder who would do something for the same price as what you are looking for. (especially tele's and strats, both are pretty easy builds)
imo its deffinately worth some consideration.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/petersinstruments/ http://petersinstruments.com/
Unread 08-23-2010, 09:52 PM   #68
I'm on a horse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shad peters View Post
just a thought, have you ever thought of a custom guitar? (i am biased i build guitars so its always my answer) if you really want to get the best of different worlds then imho its the way to go, you can choose your body style, and alter it to fit your wants (chest carve for comfort ect.) choose your pickups, your fret scale, neck profile, neck joint, body wood pickups, the whole bit. you end up with a guitar that is specifically molded to your needs and playing style, im willing to bet you could find a builder who would do something for the same price as what you are looking for. (especially tele's and strats, both are pretty easy builds)
imo its deffinately worth some consideration.
It's hard to get a guitar exactly how you want it, when you don't know how you exactly want it.

I think APBOS is going through a bit of "I-want-one-of-each-but-can-only-get-one" syndrome.

Unread 08-23-2010, 09:56 PM   #69

Quote:
It's hard to get a guitar exactly how you want it, when you don't know how you exactly want it.

I think APBOS is going through a bit of "I-want-one-of-each-but-can-only-get-one" syndrome.
yeah... been there, thats how i wound up with 12 guitars...

Unread 08-23-2010, 09:57 PM   #70
Overlord of Kentls

Quote:

+10000

i dont care quite yet becuse no mater what i play its bad

but i find that if you look for something and you dont know what you want

you try to get all in one
Originally Posted by scared2mosh View Post
I honestly would have guessed the actual Kentl was mulletman and vice versa...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnstein View Post
Apparently, he gave you persistence by the truckload.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFK14 View Post
Ok, the fact you spelled that right proves it.
Unread 08-23-2010, 10:02 PM   #71

Quote:
I remember liking the standard Tele and Strat both. But I'm still in the thought that they both sound kind of thin at times. I think the greatest set up is something with humbuckers that are splittable. Lot's of different sounds to be had than. That Anthem had a tap switch. As do some of the PRS's.

?
most humbuckers can be coil tapped, not to much work just an afternoon messing with some wireing
especially on a strat you got plenty of room to ad a couple switches and whatever else you need. just a thought. that thinness can also be greatly affected by what you are playing through and how you have it set up. i have played with humbuckers for years but just recently made myself a tele, didnt think i could get the heavier sounds at first but once i got to know the guitar a little bit and figure how to set my amp it made a huge difference.

Unread 08-23-2010, 10:24 PM   #72

Quote:

Well, I will take heart to your comments and try and learn from them.

If it's bothering you that I'm getting long in the tooth, I apologize. I know I've been all over the board on where my interests lie. I opened myself up completely on this because I figured I might learn something. And I also figure the more I explain, if someone actually reads it and cares to help, they'll understand better where I'm coming from. I am learning something. I know I run the risk of annoying people with all my comments. But again, it's just info. But you kind of make it seem as I should pick one and live with it. I'm just trying earnestly to spend my money in the best way I can. It may very well be that I research this to death, buy something, and figure out it is lacking in certain areas, just because that's the nature of the beast. But I would rather have that happen after knowing as much as I can, as opposed to just buying something and regretting it. At least if I regret it, it won't be from a lack of research on my part. If that makes sense.

Maybe it doesn't. I haven't played seriously for a long long time. And I'm relearning some things, remembering some things, and probably know enough to be dangerous. I want to get past that point and I think I am getting there. I will probably play a BUNCH more guitars before I choose. Because that's the way I am. I do realize that at some point, having everything you want in one package, probably just isn't possible and you have to settle to a certain degree and get more. Which is probably why most guitar players have so many. I am a minimilist at heart, therefore I would like to find one that does it all. Or have one made. But then I also like diversity sometimes, so...... It is what it is. Yeah, crazy.

I don't see how someone can make a custom one for the same price as buying one. It just seems like looking at prices for parts, it would cost you 2k to build a nice guitar. And that's not including labor. At least from what I can tell. I'm basing most of that by going on Warmoth's website.

I'm sure I could do worse than if I just settled for a standard tele. And changed the pick ups if they're too thin sounding. Same goes for the Strat. But I find myself wanting something different, because that was the last guitar I used to have (tele). I had a bullet too, I think it was called, and I put humbuckers in it. I wish I had pictures of these.

Anyways, so thank you all for your input. Keep it coming if you'd like, and if I'm annoying you, sorry about that.
Unread 08-24-2010, 08:27 AM   #73

Quote:

I don't see how someone can make a custom one for the same price as buying one. It just seems like looking at prices for parts, it would cost you 2k to build a nice guitar. And that's not including labor. At least from what I can tell. I'm basing most of that by going on Warmoth's website.

yeah you're right if you were to buy everything from warmoth it would cost you and arm and a leg, but in all honesty (and i dont say this as an insult to you by any means im sure you probably just dont know) but i dont know of any serious luthier who buys parts from warmoth. and im guessing that you were probably looking at bodies and necks to, which at that point its really just a parts guitar, not really hand made at all, most people who claim the title luthier do their own necks and bodies and stuff. i know i can get all the hardware i need (minus the pickups) for around 100 bucks. throw in another 100-200 for some nice pickups (or less if you want) 20-30 hours of labor, and you've got yourself a reall nice guitar. i know i could make a real nice guitar in the range of seven or eight hundred, ive even done some for less (im not trying to self promote or anything im just saying there are people out there who will do it)

Unread 08-24-2010, 08:55 AM   #74
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Yeah, point taken. I just noticed on the Fender website that there are different sized nuts too. The standard strat and tele have 1.65". And they have a few models that have 1.625" and some that are 1.675". And the radii vary from 7.5" to 12" on different models. There's so many combos, it'll make your head spin. I remember liking the standard Tele and Strat both. But I'm still in the thought that they both sound kind of thin at times. I think the greatest set up is something with humbuckers that are splittable. Lot's of different sounds to be had than. That Anthem had a tap switch. As do some of the PRS's.

Well, lots more guitars to play. Bill, you got a picture of that studio you're selling?
Can get one tomorrow. Been out of town, well, out of state actually.

My Life.
Unread 08-24-2010, 09:30 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by shad peters View Post
yeah you're right if you were to buy everything from warmoth it would cost you and arm and a leg, but in all honesty (and i dont say this as an insult to you by any means im sure you probably just dont know) but i dont know of any serious luthier who buys parts from warmoth. and im guessing that you were probably looking at bodies and necks to, which at that point its really just a parts guitar, not really hand made at all, most people who claim the title luthier do their own necks and bodies and stuff. i know i can get all the hardware i need (minus the pickups) for around 100 bucks. throw in another 100-200 for some nice pickups (or less if you want) 20-30 hours of labor, and you've got yourself a reall nice guitar. i know i could make a real nice guitar in the range of seven or eight hundred, ive even done some for less (im not trying to self promote or anything im just saying there are people out there who will do it)
Wow, very interesting! Yeah, Warmoth was the first place I looked and it seemed high to me. I'll check out your photos.

I will say this though, I am still in the process of defining what I want, and Rainier was spot on with that. So, it would be hard to define. Sometimes I feel like I want single coils, sometimes humbuckers, it's the fact that I'm not around people with amps and electric guitars right now that I have so little experience with them, except what I had 15 years ago. So anyways.

And thanks Bill, whenever you get a chance.
Closed Thread