Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-19-2010, 12:34 PM   #46
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABPOS View Post
I don't get it either. I find that to be the case everywhere I go. Although with some of these bigger places with lots of people handling them, I can understand. But the first place I went to, there was a guy there very involved and I would think he would've had a better handle on it. He went and tuned one for me and it still wasn't in tune. It may be that they don't really set them up properly until you buy. Because this guy kept telling me they do a set up AFTER you buy it if you're not happy with it. I think that probably means they don't set it up at all. Or maybe some and not others. I don't know. I know also though if I play a guitar with bigger frets, it is hard for me to be completely in tune with every chord I play. Just too much bend. Especially when they have super thin strings on it.
A lot of stores just set up the higher end guitars so you feel they are that much better. Also, it is next to impossible to keep floor guitars tuned up. (people screw the intonation adjustment screws and mess them up horribly.)

One thing about your technique. You do want to work on pressing softer. Pressing excessively hard leads to potential damage in your hand and wrist. Personally I want to be the ornery old cuss still playing at 95 so I try to really keep from doing anything that might be linked with carpal tunnel syndrome or anything.

My Life.
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-19-2010, 05:36 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
A lot of stores just set up the higher end guitars so you feel they are that much better. Also, it is next to impossible to keep floor guitars tuned up. (people screw the intonation adjustment screws and mess them up horribly.)

OK. But a $1600 guitar should be set up properly. Also, I went only into smaller size stores that did not have a high volume of customers coming in and out. So I would think that have accurately setup guitars would be necessary to ensure you are not losing customers due to instruments sounding like crap.
Unread 08-19-2010, 06:50 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post

One thing about your technique. You do want to work on pressing softer. Pressing excessively hard leads to potential damage in your hand and wrist. Personally I want to be the ornery old cuss still playing at 95 so I try to really keep from doing anything that might be linked with carpal tunnel syndrome or anything.
I hear you. I think it's because I'm used to playing my acoustic, which takes more pressure. I just assumed it was because the strings are fatter. Maybe it's not that great of a guitar. It's just an Ibanez AE300. I don't think I can go any lower with the action though. Point is taken though. It's been a long time since I've played electric much, so, it's going to take some practice to be suave and debonnier again. However you spell it. Which I never was, but maybe in my old age I'll get a little more refined. hehehehe
Unread 08-20-2010, 07:05 AM   #49
Hey ya'll, watch this!

Quote:
I hear you. I think it's because I'm used to playing my acoustic, which takes more pressure. I just assumed it was because the strings are fatter. Maybe it's not that great of a guitar. It's just an Ibanez AE300. I don't think I can go any lower with the action though. Point is taken though. It's been a long time since I've played electric much, so, it's going to take some practice to be suave and debonnier again. However you spell it. Which I never was, but maybe in my old age I'll get a little more refined. hehehehe
I chose another route with my electric. I went with a Tele and keep it strung with .11's. Since I'm an acoustic player this is pretty comfortable and it sounds pretty good. I had problems playing in tune until I made the switch to the heavier strings and did a setup. Heavy strings don't present a problem for chicken picken.
Unread 08-20-2010, 10:01 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnstein View Post
I chose another route with my electric. I went with a Tele and keep it strung with .11's. Since I'm an acoustic player this is pretty comfortable and it sounds pretty good. I had problems playing in tune until I made the switch to the heavier strings and did a setup. Heavy strings don't present a problem for chicken picken.
I agree. When my Mom bought a rummage sale fender starcaster, I put .11's on there because I thought it might make it stay in tune better. Well, I found out I really like that size for strumming and I feel that it does help with not bending too much. I don't press as hard as the acoustic of course, so I'm not a complete hack, ehehehehe. I CAN feel the difference, but I'm sure no light touch slow hands. But, it is something I need to have a little bit more refinement in probably, so Bill's advice is taken well.

How does your Tele sound with .11's? Does it give at a warmer sound? Do you have a standard set up tele?
Unread 08-20-2010, 07:42 PM   #51

Does anybody have any experience with these models of ibanez? Better than epiphone? Worse? I have no idea.

Product: Ibanez AS73 Artcore AS Semi Hollow Electric Guitar
Unread 08-20-2010, 10:02 PM   #52
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
They're really pretty different.

I owned an Epiphone Emperor II for a long while. It (along with most of the Korean Epis) is a solid axe.

Unread 08-21-2010, 11:25 AM   #53

How do you know if it's Korean or Chinese? Or American for that matter (older ones I guess). And what would encompass "pretty different"? I mean at a glance, it looks like a Dot or ES335 copy or something like that. What makes it so different? If that sounded skeptical, that is not the intent, I just have no clue, so I'm wanting more explanation, if you would care to give it.

Last edited by ABPOS; 08-21-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Unread 08-21-2010, 04:42 PM   #54
I'm on a horse.

Oh, they just sound and feel different. I guess the Epis have more "classic Gibson" tonality and have somewhat fuller necks, while Ibys have more of a edgier tone, and thinner necks.

As far as where it's made, you can look for the sticker. Or you can look up what model is produced where. It's pretty easy to find where a particular guitar is built online.

The Korean Epis are made by the same folks who put together Samick and Cort guitars (and some Ibys, PRS SEs, etc), and they tend to be very consistent in quality, compared to other import guitars (with the exception of some old 80s Japanese guitars, which are on par with American made instruments).

Unread 08-21-2010, 07:00 PM   #55

I'm sort of drooling over these. Am I safe to assume these have a wider thinner neck than many guitars? Is that a PRS type thing? Anybody have any experience or input on one of these?

http://http://www.thefind.com/instru...om-semi-hollow

I don't know if the link is working, but it's a PRS custom Semi hollow. Has kind of a rickenbacker look and a bunch of places are selling them for $650.
Unread 08-21-2010, 07:10 PM   #56
I'm on a horse.

I wouldn't call a PRS neck thin... Maybe I'm biased, but I have never liked the feel of the neck on a PRS SE guitar. But you should try them out.

Unread 08-21-2010, 07:44 PM   #57

I have a lot I need to try! LOL. There's a guy right down the street from me selling an epiphone dot for $350, I have to go play that too.
Unread 08-23-2010, 11:58 AM   #58

Alright, another update. I had a chance this morning to run into Music Go Round before work while my son was at piano lessons. I have banker's hours.

Anyways, I wanted to get a sampling of guitars I haven't laid hands on lately. The first thing I picked up was a hofner guitar. It was cool looking, and it was a solid hollow body. If you know what I mean, no F holes. Somebody had that thing tuned down to like c# and I wasted too much of my little bit of time with it. So I moved on. I played an Epiphone LP. I gotta say. I liked it. The neck felt a little fat on this one though. But the fretboard seemed nice.

And that's another note. I started off thinking I wanted a maple fret board, but I may actually prefer the rosewood. I read somewhere the maple is more for smoothness and lead guitars. Although I don't really think it's a hard fast rule. But most acoustics have rosewood. Or something dark. So..... It may be that's what I might want in an electric, seeins as how I am more of a rhythm player at this point and not much of a lead yet.

But one more thing about the LP is I think back in the day I got rid of mine because at times when I strum real long, I hit the pick up switch. I am very interested in seeing how one might sound in a good, small amp. Especially if I could bypass that switch somehow.

Then I played an Ibanez. It was some 300 model that looked like a PRS copy. Double cutaway with top one being a little larger but nothing like a strat. I don't even see it on their website, soo it's an older one I guess. I actually liked the way it played pretty well. I liked how the tuning gears felt and the neck pretty good. A little wide for me, but nice.

Then it got weird. I picked up these guitars called "Anthem", and call me crazy, but the thing felt really really nice. And they had two identical models that were like LP copies in two different colors. They were the most in tune guitars out of the others that I picked up. And seemed to stay that way. And they played nice. And the pick up switch is down low by the knobs. Which I like. I'm totally skeptical about this find, because I have never heard of them, and I'm having a difficult time finding a website for them. But I really really liked the way the felt. The tuning gears felt nice and balance and neck and playability felt right like home for me. The neck is kind of narrow from string to string, but it seemed to work really well for my hands and it sounded great unpluggled. But, I think they were actually new guitars and they were $379.00.

What scares me is that I would buy something like this, it sounds good in the store and played nice and you get it home and it explodes after 3 weeks. Does anybody know anything about these "Anthem" guitars?
Unread 08-23-2010, 01:54 PM   #59

I called up Music Go Round to get some more info on these guitars. Well, apparently Anthem was at NAMM with them, as a fledgeling company, and didn't make it. The guy there said he thinks they might be the same things as a Dean & Shuster. I never heard of them so I went on their website. Oh my! Not really my style. A well endowed female greats you on the home page. Very cheesy, in my opinion. There wasn't much to see in there anyways and I'm not sure if the guy is right. These Anthems shape of the LP was more of the LP shape but just thinner. The Dean and shuster ones are kind of more exaggerated in the curves. Although I suppose that doesn't mean they weren't affilitated in some way. I wish I could find more about it and some more opinions. Because they seemed "right" to me.

Now here's another thing, I think I have pretty much ruled out a Strat. After playing these ones this morning and then playing the "Starcaster", the neck is so wide on the "Starcasters" that it felt awkward. I didn't really notice it until playing something narrower. And I'm pretty sure my Ibanez Acoustic is more narrow too. (In case anyone is wondering about time frames here, my Mom and I run a daycare together and her guitar {starcaster} is at my work. So I play it every day, and I play some songs for the kids with it. You know, like the B I B L E, etc etc. I used to have to lug my acoustic with me all the time. But yeah, I know, weird, A day care worker? Male? 38? Kind of strange but it's a long story and it's been blessing)

So anyways, I think I have been convinced by bill here to look at these other styles. I still think a tele is in the running though. But I'm pretty sure the strat is out now. Seeins how I'm not a big fan of the sound of most of the pick ups, don't like the 3 pick up config, and now I feel like the neck is too wide. I love the feel of that body though.
Unread 08-23-2010, 02:36 PM   #60
I AM A BASS PLAYER

Send a message via AIM to Josey Wales Send a message via Yahoo to Josey Wales
Quote:
I called up Music Go Round to get some more info on these guitars. Well, apparently Anthem was at NAMM with them, as a fledgeling company, and didn't make it. The guy there said he thinks they might be the same things as a Dean & Shuster. I never heard of them so I went on their website. Oh my! Not really my style. A well endowed female greats you on the home page. Very cheesy, in my opinion. There wasn't much to see in there anyways and I'm not sure if the guy is right. These Anthems shape of the LP was more of the LP shape but just thinner. The Dean and shuster ones are kind of more exaggerated in the curves. Although I suppose that doesn't mean they weren't affilitated in some way. I wish I could find more about it and some more opinions. Because they seemed "right" to me.

Now here's another thing, I think I have pretty much ruled out a Strat. After playing these ones this morning and then playing the "Starcaster", the neck is so wide on the "Starcasters" that it felt awkward. I didn't really notice it until playing something narrower. And I'm pretty sure my Ibanez Acoustic is more narrow too. (In case anyone is wondering about time frames here, my Mom and I run a daycare together and her guitar {starcaster} is at my work. So I play it every day, and I play some songs for the kids with it. You know, like the B I B L E, etc etc. I used to have to lug my acoustic with me all the time. But yeah, I know, weird, A day care worker? Male? 38? Kind of strange but it's a long story and it's been blessing)

So anyways, I think I have been convinced by bill here to look at these other styles. I still think a tele is in the running though. But I'm pretty sure the strat is out now. Seeins how I'm not a big fan of the sound of most of the pick ups, don't like the 3 pick up config, and now I feel like the neck is too wide. I love the feel of that body though.
dude, what music go round site are you visiting, because all the music go round websites i know of just have pics of instruments, and workers helping customers, not busty babes.... so i think that would be pretty strange too, not even guitar center does that...

"I'M GONNA GIVE YOU A BAD CASE OF SOMBODY SHOT ME IN THE HEAD"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Cowboy In Me (Blog) I My Guitar Build: The Making Of The DISASTERCASTER
The New Restoration Project: The Making Of The JEMCASTER I NEW BASS: PAINT 'N' STUFF

FaceBook I ALL SAINTS DAY I ASD facebook I ASD reverb nation I BREAKING THE TIDE
Closed Thread