Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-17-2010, 02:40 PM   #16
Registered User
 

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 421
Well Jose, you bring up an interesting option. I had thought about that also, but dismissed it in my mind because I always felt that they had kind of a changly sound. Almost too bright. But it has been forever since I played one and even at that, I never played one enough to know how they sound through an amp. I will have to visit their website.

Bill, I think you are possibly correct about the strat's sound. It's still not completely discounted in my mind, but I know that was the conclusion I came to a long time ago. But again with this, I never owned one, I just played in a band with one and even though she played it really really well, the sounds always kind of bugged me a little. But hers was completely stock with the pickups probably where I wouldn't want them.

This is a good learning process though. Because I'm learning that different models of different fenders have different size frets. Which I think that means some have a higher profile than others. I want the lowest profile I can get. After playing acoustics a lot, I have a tenancy to press hard. And if the frets are too high and the strings too small, it throws everything out of tune. In fact, I don't really see how someone gets away with playing with high profile frets. I suppose if you're a lead guitarists that plays nice and light to the touch, you might want this, but that's not me. LOL!

ABPOS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-17-2010, 03:53 PM   #17
I AM A BASS PLAYER
 
Josey Wales's Avatar
 

Joined: Jun 2010
Location: denver, co
Posts: 2,759
Send a message via AIM to Josey Wales Send a message via Yahoo to Josey Wales
well yes the rick will be a little more bright and chingy, and twangy. and honestly i like that sound, a lot of vintage music that i love has that kind of guitar sound in it, either with a rick/tele/ or like a gibson dot hollow body kind of sound. even the beatles used one of those, theres a lot of picures, and videos where george is using a sunburst hollowbody gibson...
__________________
THE NEW JOHN MARSTON!!!

"I'M GONNA GIVE YOU A BAD CASE OF SOMBODY SHOT ME IN THE HEAD"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Cowboy In Me (Blog) I My Guitar Build: The Making Of The DISASTERCASTER
The New Restoration Project: The Making Of The JEMCASTER I NEW BASS: PAINT 'N' STUFF

FaceBook I ALL SAINTS DAY I ASD facebook I ASD reverb nation I BREAKING THE TIDE
Josey Wales is offline  
Unread 08-17-2010, 04:28 PM   #18
I'm on a horse.
 
Rainer.'s Avatar
 

Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Seattle, WA.
Posts: 29,118
Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
You can never fully destrat a strat. Trust me, I have tried. I HATE the way my playing sounds with a strat. I think a hardtail one might not have that be the case, but to me the trem adds a certain springiness to the sound that drives me crazy.
Why would you want to de-Strat a Strat?

But no, actually, I'm pretty sure I'm the same way with semi-hollowbodies as you are with Strats. I can't make a semi-hollow sound right in my hands at all, but with a Strat, oh, all is right with the world.

As far as high-profile frets, I have much larger frets on my Strat than the usual Fender (installed by a previous owner). Keeping the fingers off of the actual fingerboard reduces friction, making slides and other vertical motion and also big bends and wide vibrato much easier.
__________________
. . . j o n : [ FLICKR \ BLOG ]


Last edited by Rainer.; 08-17-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Rainer. is offline  
Unread 08-17-2010, 04:44 PM   #19
Tired of being attacked
 
BillSPrestonEsq's Avatar
 

Joined: Jun 2001
Location: Beaverton, Or
Posts: 40,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
Why would you want to de-Strat a Strat?

But no, actually, I'm pretty sure I'm the same way with semi-hollowbodies as you are with Strats. I can't make a semi-hollow sound right in my hands at all, but with a Strat, oh, all is right with the world.
because I sound terrible with a strat. Always. I love semi-hollow bodies.

Low frets? I would go with a well used gibson.
__________________
For this I will be judged.


My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline  
Unread 08-17-2010, 10:02 PM   #20
Registered User
 

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 421
Well, what I know now, is that I'm going to have to play a lot more guitars. hehehehehehe I don't know if 'm totally opposed to a full hollow body because I don't know how much "hard core jamming" I'd be doing. I'm getting older, and my tastes are changing. I like to listen to sort of heavy stuff once in a while, but really, I doubt I'll be playing like that in the future. I could be wrong, but that's my thoughts at this point. My goal is to really focus on a cleaner sound. I had a lifetime full of distortion, and to me, it doesn't necessarily make the music so much greater. Yes, it adds some excitement and punch and whatever else you want to say, but, I'm liking cleaner sounds as I mature. I'm only 38, but that's just me. Plus, that's not to say you can't use SOME distortion with a full hollow without feeding back. Other factors come into play. How loud is everything else, how high do you have your amp. How big is your amp, etc etc.

And then there is amps. DOH! I have been debating about getting an amp first, to run my acoustic through. And if I can find one that would do well for the acoustic and an electric. I don't know.

Again, I'm learning a lot, so thanks for the input and keep it coming.
ABPOS is offline  
Unread 08-17-2010, 10:58 PM   #21
Tired of being attacked
 
BillSPrestonEsq's Avatar
 

Joined: Jun 2001
Location: Beaverton, Or
Posts: 40,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABPOS View Post
Well, what I know now, is that I'm going to have to play a lot more guitars. hehehehehehe I don't know if 'm totally opposed to a full hollow body because I don't know how much "hard core jamming" I'd be doing. I'm getting older, and my tastes are changing. I like to listen to sort of heavy stuff once in a while, but really, I doubt I'll be playing like that in the future. I could be wrong, but that's my thoughts at this point. My goal is to really focus on a cleaner sound. I had a lifetime full of distortion, and to me, it doesn't necessarily make the music so much greater. Yes, it adds some excitement and punch and whatever else you want to say, but, I'm liking cleaner sounds as I mature. I'm only 38, but that's just me. Plus, that's not to say you can't use SOME distortion with a full hollow without feeding back. Other factors come into play. How loud is everything else, how high do you have your amp. How big is your amp, etc etc.

And then there is amps. DOH! I have been debating about getting an amp first, to run my acoustic through. And if I can find one that would do well for the acoustic and an electric. I don't know.

Again, I'm learning a lot, so thanks for the input and keep it coming.
are you looking for a fairly low watt jam amp? I got one idea I like. (and its cheap and weighs next to nothing)

Personally, if I were you, I'd find a gibson Lucille. I wish I could let you play mine. It sounds great even under heavy distortion, but b.b. king is not known for his distortion tone.

Full hollow bodies have a different tonality to me. If dirty delta blues are your thing, my full hollowbody would do it. I might check out a Godin kingpin if you could. Made in Canada and Godin makes good stuff for a almost silly price. tend to have chunkier necks...

But I would try a 335, a lucille and some hollowbodies. Personally, you sound like the ibanez is the opposite of what you want.
__________________
For this I will be judged.


My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline  
Unread 08-18-2010, 06:25 AM   #22
Heaven isn't too far away
 
gtrdave's Avatar
 

Joined: Dec 2004
Location: The First State
Posts: 6,730
Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABPOS View Post

And then there is amps. DOH! I have been debating about getting an amp first, to run my acoustic through. And if I can find one that would do well for the acoustic and an electric.
That's unpossible.
Most electric guitar amps lack the ability to reproduce the wide dynamic range necessary for the acoustic guitar and you'd have to eq the pooh out of an acoustic amp to make it suitable for an electric.

My advice is don't buy an amp until you've settled on an electric guitar that you like.
Once you're happy with your electric purchase, you can then take that guitar around (or try something similar at the store) to try out some amps and get a nice compliment to your axe and your specific needs according to where you'll be using it most.

And as for guitars...if you can find an ESP LTD PB-500 to try out, you should give it a shot. Some of them were equipped with Duncan P-Rails pickups and the few that I tried out were GREAT players.
I think they've been discontinued as they were a bit of a hybrid guitar, but I've seen them on the used market for less than $300 and that is a steal of a price, imho.
__________________
Lead, follow and get out of the way.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline  
Unread 08-18-2010, 06:45 AM   #23
Hey ya'll, watch this!
 
jeepnstein's Avatar
 

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABPOS View Post
Well, what I know now, is that I'm going to have to play a lot more guitars. hehehehehehe I don't know if 'm totally opposed to a full hollow body because I don't know how much "hard core jamming" I'd be doing. I'm getting older, and my tastes are changing. I like to listen to sort of heavy stuff once in a while, but really, I doubt I'll be playing like that in the future. I could be wrong, but that's my thoughts at this point. My goal is to really focus on a cleaner sound. I had a lifetime full of distortion, and to me, it doesn't necessarily make the music so much greater. Yes, it adds some excitement and punch and whatever else you want to say, but, I'm liking cleaner sounds as I mature. I'm only 38, but that's just me. Plus, that's not to say you can't use SOME distortion with a full hollow without feeding back. Other factors come into play. How loud is everything else, how high do you have your amp. How big is your amp, etc etc.

And then there is amps. DOH! I have been debating about getting an amp first, to run my acoustic through. And if I can find one that would do well for the acoustic and an electric. I don't know.

Again, I'm learning a lot, so thanks for the input and keep it coming.
Worry about an amp for your electric after you settle on a guitar. As far as the acoustic goes, just run straight to the PA with it.
jeepnstein is offline  
Unread 08-18-2010, 09:25 AM   #24
Registered User
 

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
are you looking for a fairly low watt jam amp? I got one idea I like. (and its cheap and weighs next to nothing)

Personally, if I were you, I'd find a gibson Lucille. I wish I could let you play mine. It sounds great even under heavy distortion, but b.b. king is not known for his distortion tone.

Full hollow bodies have a different tonality to me. If dirty delta blues are your thing, my full hollowbody would do it. I might check out a Godin kingpin if you could. Made in Canada and Godin makes good stuff for a almost silly price. tend to have chunkier necks...

But I would try a 335, a lucille and some hollowbodies. Personally, you sound like the ibanez is the opposite of what you want.

I think I saw the lucille on the website yesterday. I like the looks of the one that was made just for blink 182. It was white with a grey racing stripe. I thought it was cool, but it only has one pick up and It's like right in the middle. Which I'm not sure how that would be. But I think I do need to play some more. I had this guitar I used to play back in the day. It was this girl I knew Dad's guitar and I liked the sound of it. It was a cheapy and didn't stay in tune well, but I liked the sound for sure. And it was completely hollow and I still played it real loud sometimes. But I do remember feedback being kind of an issue. I had a pretty big amp though and that helped.



Oh to be so young and full of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnstein View Post
Worry about an amp for your electric after you settle on a guitar. As far as the acoustic goes, just run straight to the PA with it.
Yeah, that's what they always do at church. But if you don't have a PA and want to play with some folks......

Someone suggested a keyboard amp. Especially if I ever wanted to run a bass through it.

I know, I know, I'm all over the board with this stuff. I play drums, bass, and guitar and wouldn't mind having something of everything, so I'm trying to keep in mind for the future. But I realize usually if a thing that is trying to do more than one thing, it doesn't do anything well. But, I can still experiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
That's unpossible.
Most electric guitar amps lack the ability to reproduce the wide dynamic range necessary for the acoustic guitar and you'd have to eq the pooh out of an acoustic amp to make it suitable for an electric.

My advice is don't buy an amp until you've settled on an electric guitar that you like.
Once you're happy with your electric purchase, you can then take that guitar around (or try something similar at the store) to try out some amps and get a nice compliment to your axe and your specific needs according to where you'll be using it most.

And as for guitars...if you can find an ESP LTD PB-500 to try out, you should give it a shot. Some of them were equipped with Duncan P-Rails pickups and the few that I tried out were GREAT players.
I think they've been discontinued as they were a bit of a hybrid guitar, but I've seen them on the used market for less than $300 and that is a steal of a price, imho.
Thanks for the advice. I didn't really remember anything about ESP's. Interesting thought.

Last edited by thesteve; 08-18-2010 at 10:18 AM.
ABPOS is offline  
Unread 08-18-2010, 10:14 AM   #25
Heaven isn't too far away
 
gtrdave's Avatar
 

Joined: Dec 2004
Location: The First State
Posts: 6,730
Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABPOS View Post
Yeah, that's what they always do at church. But if you don't have a PA and want to play with some folks......

Someone suggested a keyboard amp. Especially if I ever wanted to run a bass through it.

I know, I know, I'm all over the board with this stuff. I play drums, bass, and guitar and wouldn't mind having something of everything, so I'm trying to keep in mind for the future. But I realize usually if a thing that is trying to do more than one thing, it doesn't do anything well. But, I can still experiment.
Getting a keyboard amp is one way to kill a lot of birds with one big stone.
They work as keyboard amps (naturally) and they also work as bass and acoustic amps, too, somewhat.
As a guitar amp...I'd stick some pedals in between the guitar and amp and see how it performs before I'd make a call on it being a decent guitar amp, but in a pinch it would probably work ok.
__________________
Lead, follow and get out of the way.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline  
Unread 08-18-2010, 10:17 AM   #26
Tired of being attacked
 
BillSPrestonEsq's Avatar
 

Joined: Jun 2001
Location: Beaverton, Or
Posts: 40,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABPOS View Post
Yeah, that's what they always do at church. But if you don't have a PA and want to play with some folks......

Someone suggested a keyboard amp. Especially if I ever wanted to run a bass through it.

I know, I know, I'm all over the board with this stuff. I play drums, bass, and guitar and wouldn't mind having something of everything, so I'm trying to keep in mind for the future. But I realize usually if a thing that is trying to do more than one thing, it doesn't do anything well. But, I can still experiment.
A keyboard amp would probably sound bad for electric guitar. You might go keyboard and guitar amp. (using keyboard for bass and acoustic.) Now a digital modeler into a keyboard amp could sound okay.
__________________
For this I will be judged.


My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline  
Unread 08-18-2010, 11:23 AM   #27
Registered User
 

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 421
Here's another sidetrack question. I heard there are these things like pre amps that you can plug into your computer that allow you to play into your computer. With different affects and what not and possibly even record a little.

Anybody use one of these for practice? Keeping track of songs your wrote or riffs? And do they have more than one input so you could sing into it? Or more than one track? I would imagine there are tons of different types of these things, but wondering if there are some decent ones for the home computer that isn't meant asa professional piece that costs a grand. You know?
ABPOS is offline  
Unread 08-18-2010, 11:31 AM   #28
I'm on a horse.
 
Rainer.'s Avatar
 

Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Seattle, WA.
Posts: 29,118
Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
I think you're thinking of something like the Line 6 TonePort: POD Studio (formerly the TonePort):
http://line6.com/podstudioux1/
__________________
. . . j o n : [ FLICKR \ BLOG ]

Rainer. is offline  
Unread 08-18-2010, 02:40 PM   #29
Registered User
 

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
I think you're thinking of something like the Line 6 TonePort: POD Studio (formerly the TonePort):
USB Audio Interface | POD Studio UX1 | Line 6
Yeah, that looks like what I might want. Anybody have any experience with these. There's probably another forum for this, eh? I'll have a looksee.

OK, so I was on the gibson website looking at the epiphones again. The dot has a studio model that is really cheap. That makes me worry, but maybe it's good. Then there is the normal Dot, the Lucille, Casino, Riviera, and Emporer II. And oh yeah, the ES-175 Reissue. They all seem like they'd be in my price range. I don't know how quality is though. Where are these epiphones made? I'm interested in this wilshire too. They have a custom model that is made in Tennesse that is like 4 grand. I'm guessing these other ones are made overseas, which I'm not completey crazy about.

I think the Ricks and Gretsch's are out of my price range for now.
ABPOS is offline  
Unread 08-18-2010, 02:45 PM   #30
Tired of being attacked
 
BillSPrestonEsq's Avatar
 

Joined: Jun 2001
Location: Beaverton, Or
Posts: 40,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABPOS View Post
Yeah, that looks like what I might want. Anybody have any experience with these. There's probably another forum for this, eh? I'll have a looksee.

OK, so I was on the gibson website looking at the epiphones again. The dot has a studio model that is really cheap. That makes me worry, but maybe it's good. Then there is the normal Dot, the Lucille, Casino, Riviera, and Emporer II. And oh yeah, the ES-175 Reissue. They all seem like they'd be in my price range. I don't know how quality is though. Where are these epiphones made? I'm interested in this wilshire too. They have a custom model that is made in Tennesse that is like 4 grand. I'm guessing these other ones are made overseas, which I'm not completey crazy about.

I think the Ricks and Gretsch's are out of my price range for now.
Gibsons are made in the US, epis are made in the far east. (well, currently, epis used to be us made way back when, but that is the general rule.) I am a big fan of used though... A Gibson semihollow or hollow would probably run you about a grand at the least, probably 1200. Sometimes I see them cheaper.

I wonder if a keyboard amp and a POD XTLive is not what you want amp wise. (you can record into a computer with it and it would give you a pretty decent tone into a keyboard amp.)
__________________
For this I will be judged.


My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:35 AM.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2