Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-04-2010, 09:54 AM   #211
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABPOS View Post
Another strange one that is kind of haunting me is a Road Worn Tele I played there. I actually liked it. But I'm so against what they do to them to make them look worn. But it played really nice.
IMHO, they're way overpriced for what they are: essentially a factory-beat-up MIM.
I don't "get" them, but that's because I'm an anti-relic guy anyway.

If you prefer the smallerish frets, the older (pre-2008 I believe) MIM Teles should have them as stock. They didn't start putting the medium-jumbos in them until recently.
Other options would be '80s and '90s ESP and Fernandes Tele copies. They're probably as close to vintage American spec as it gets and their prices are at or below the $500 range. They can be hard to find, but just be aware if you happen to see one.

As far as the Mustang, if that's the guitar that works for you, buy it. There is no rule about what you can and can not have as your only electric.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-04-2010, 09:56 AM   #212
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratopastor View Post
Why not a Mustang? IMO it's not crazy to have ANY guitar as your only guitar so long as it's not obscenely expensive, it feels right in your hands, and you like the sound.

Regarding the Road Worn Tele, I don't altogether understand your objection.... the guitar has no feelings. Honest. This isn't a calf being treated cruelly to make the veal more tender..... :-)
Agreed on the mustang.

I hate relicing though, but to be honest, if you find an extremely comfortable guitar for you that just feels right, what it looks like is irrelevent. I'd rather have an awful looking instrument that plays great than an incredible looking, mediocre playing one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post

As far as the Mustang, if that's the guitar that works for you, buy it. There is no rule about what you can and can not have as your only electric.
I thought there was, and it was this.

"Bet you can't get just one."

My Life.
Unread 11-04-2010, 10:01 AM   #213

You could buy the road worn tele and do a restoration job But seriously, unless your committing to only ever having this one guitar for the rest of your life, it seems like your stressing an awful lot. You've found a few you seem to like, pick one. Play it and enjoy it and if you decide to sell it and buy something else a few years down the road, no big deal.
Unread 11-04-2010, 11:12 AM   #214

Quote:
Why not a Mustang? IMO it's not crazy to have ANY guitar as your only guitar so long as it's not obscenely expensive, it feels right in your hands, and you like the sound.

Regarding the Road Worn Tele, I don't altogether understand your objection.... the guitar has no feelings. Honest. This isn't a calf being treated cruelly to make the veal more tender..... :-)
Too funny! I don't mean it that way. I guess I just figure if there's going to be some wear, I'd like to be the one to make it. But I'm thinking the wearing in might make it feel better than one that's not broken in, which is why I'm even considering it. Because it did kind of have a "smoothness" to it. But otherwise, those scratches aint mine!!!!! And for some reason bothers me.

As far as the mustang goes, I'm more worried about getting the right sounds out of it. I'll have to play it plugged in. I think even though I like the shorter scale, it has less aaaaaah what's that term that lets it ring longer, aaah you know... help me out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas1600 View Post
You could buy the road worn tele and do a restoration job But seriously, unless your committing to only ever having this one guitar for the rest of your life, it seems like your stressing an awful lot. You've found a few you seem to like, pick one. Play it and enjoy it and if you decide to sell it and buy something else a few years down the road, no big deal.
Everyone is making me laugh today. And with good feedback! Yeah, I could take it apart, strip the body and repaint it with krylon!! hehehehehe. And just buy a new neck. Hehehe

I hear you on the stressing. And you're right. But money doesn't grow on trees for me and I've been saving a while. And I just don't want to do something I regret. Because after I get an electric, there are other music things I'm going to need to buy besides another electric. I have an amp that will suffice for now, but I may want to get something else down the road. Or a different speaker for this cab. And possibly build another cab (the head I have is made for two cabs and I only have one right now, stereo chorus option that I might want to utilize). I want to record some songs and I'm either going to need some kind of audio interface, or possibly pay someone else. Mics, more strings, a strap, a better chord, etc etc etc. After I get one electric, another will be far down on the list. And this is by saving 20 bucks every two weeks for a while and selling a pistol to get what I got so far. I wish I was rich, but I'm not. It's all a process.

So Bill, it may be that someday I'll want another. But isn't that what my acoustic is for? hehehehe I hear you on the playing good and who cares what it looks like. I agree. Which is why I'm even considering it. I have to go back and see if my mind is just playing tricks on me. Both the mustang and the road worn are at the same store. I may get there tonight or tomorrow.

I really really really super appreciate your guys input. I know I've been consternating about this forever it seems, and having somewhere to share my thoughts and get some wisdom on the matter really means a lot to me. A multitude of counselors. And I really would like to thank Bill a ton. Your input has been invaluable. I feel the end is coming soon. Then I'll be on to other questions, like effects and amps and speakers. Etc. Etc. So much fun! God is good.

What would really be neat is once I get an electric, if they would be open to me using it at church. I played a couple of times now, and they have 2 guitarists usually. And both play an acoustic. It sounds fine, but it is kind of redundant. A little different sound in there might be nice. But that's up to God. I'm still not playing every week anyways, and I'm not sure when I'm playing again, but maybe soon.

Last edited by thesteve; 11-04-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Unread 11-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #215

I had a chance to play those two guitars I was talking about at the store plugged in. The mustang is out. It's just, I don't know, not a tele. Hehehehe Just sounds too thin and almost feels like a toy. And I hate the way it sounds not plugged in. Which, might not mean much, but for some reason it does to me. My fingers like the smaller scale, but that's about as far as it goes. I don't dislike the scale of a tele.

So, I really like the way this road worn plays. Plus, the price is right. It's used and it's $399. However, I can tell this one has jumbo frets. Or even bigger than your average tele. It's weird though, the strings don't seem to bend as much, when I press chords, as much as other guitars I've played with taller frets. Is it possible that a larger radius helps it not do that? Because this radius definitely feels and looks more curved than the average.

I played a red mexican there, which I liked. I don't really like red all that much though. If I go with a normal ole tele, I would prefer another color. Because you can get them anywhere. I actually kind of like that whine color. It's a really dark red almost black.

But that road worn plays really nice. Really nice. I liked the way it sounded plugged in a hair better than a normal one. I wonder if the larger strings would make me not care about the taller frets. Or, can you get them shaved down? I asked the guy at this store, but it was the owner and I'm not sure if he knew real well. He said it would be a big job to do them all. I don't know. I thought someone suggested this can be done, not to terribly hard.

I'll post pics in a minute. It won't let me do it on this computer, I don't think.

You know, I don't hate the red, I could probably live with it. But I like other colors more.

Last edited by ABPOS; 11-05-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Unread 11-06-2010, 06:12 AM   #216
Your Ad Here

I'm reading loads of reasons why the Road-Worn Tele is for you, and wondering why you haven't bought it by now... :-)
Unread 11-06-2010, 10:05 AM   #217

Quote:
I'm reading loads of reasons why the Road-Worn Tele is for you, and wondering why you haven't bought it by now... :-)
The frets, they're just kind of high and I'm not sure I will regret that.

The Lord willing, I'm going to play some more today. I'm not feeling real well today though. Grrrrrr...
Unread 11-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #218

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABPOS View Post
The frets, they're just kind of high and I'm not sure I will regret that.

The Lord willing, I'm going to play some more today. I'm not feeling real well today though. Grrrrrr...
My parts Telecaster has some sort of jumbo fret on the neck. At first I wasn't totally comfortable with it, but now that I'm used to it, everything else seems a little off.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 11-06-2010, 05:05 PM   #219

Well, I bought one today.

A used American for $600. They guy that owned it put the 4 way s-1 switching in it, which is a bonus. I was wanting to do that anyways. It plays really nice. I think I still would've liked a rosewood neck, but this seemed like the right deal. I met him from Craig's list. It was one I wasn't even going to respond to because he didn't have pics up. I had my mind set on buying something from a certain store today, because they had a bunch of teles, but I went to this guys place first. And bam. He was asking 7 I offered him 5 we agreed on 6 hundred.

Only thing that seems weird to me is that I can't get harmonics on the 5th fret almost every string. It seems set up pretty well. But the strings are light. .09's. And I don't like that at all. I bought some .11's to throw on there. I haven't put them on there yet, I was too busy playing it as is hooked up to my amp. It has a nice clean sound. It's got some twang to it, but it's bearable and with tweaking I can get rid of it if I want.

It came with a generic hard case. Not Fender, but it's just fine. Still a hard case that fits well.

Here's some pics!

Last edited by ABPOS; 11-06-2010 at 05:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Unread 11-06-2010, 08:24 PM   #220
Guitar Player...

Looks pretty, congrats!

Gear
Art & Lutherie Spruce with Quantum I Electronics
Agile AL-3100 -> GFT-90 Pedal Tuner -> SBN BDAB -> Danelectro Cool Cat Drive (OCD Clone) -> Boss DD-7 w/ homemade tap tempo -> Garnet Gnome
Unread 11-06-2010, 09:20 PM   #221

Thank you!
Unread 11-06-2010, 09:46 PM   #222
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
FINALLY!

Unread 11-06-2010, 10:10 PM   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
FINALLY!

Yeah, what an ordeal I put you guys through. Thanks for the support and hopefully the pics help ease the pain. I think she's purdy.
Unread 11-06-2010, 10:47 PM   #224
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Cool. That's just like the one I used to own.
You should enjoy it for many years to come.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
Unread 11-07-2010, 02:03 AM   #225
I AM A BASS PLAYER

Send a message via AIM to Josey Wales Send a message via Yahoo to Josey Wales
dude that thing is SLEAK!!!

it's a tele, it's supposed to have twang, anyway... THE MORE TWANG THE BETTER!!!

LOL

have fun dude.

"I'M GONNA GIVE YOU A BAD CASE OF SOMBODY SHOT ME IN THE HEAD"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Cowboy In Me (Blog) I My Guitar Build: The Making Of The DISASTERCASTER
The New Restoration Project: The Making Of The JEMCASTER I NEW BASS: PAINT 'N' STUFF

FaceBook I ALL SAINTS DAY I ASD facebook I ASD reverb nation I BREAKING THE TIDE
Closed Thread