Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-17-2010, 01:51 PM   #196

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
Me, I think I have seen guys I was playing with stop mid service and need stitches from those... The way I strum, I am okay, but a little squeamish of them after seeing that. I strongly dislike the 2 string per saddle thing too. It seems to be a problem to me on the middle saddle.
It's weird that they think that was a good design and used it for so long. That piece of metal sticking out just doesn't make any sense. And why wouldn't you want individual adjustment per string for intonation?

So in this regard I'm better of getting a new one. But you can't get rosewood. Maybe I'll just have to over look that and the smaller frets. I could always get work done on them to make them lower profile if I don't like the stock ones. I think sometimes if a set up is right, I don't really notice them being too big. But sometimes they just seem to bend just a hair. Or I could always go with .12's instead of .11's. That would be interesting, eh? I don't think I want to go that big on an electric, but I will have to say, I've never tried it, so......

You ever use flat strings on your acoustic bill?

Sponsored Links
Unread 10-17-2010, 02:48 PM   #197
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABPOS View Post
It's weird that they think that was a good design and used it for so long. That piece of metal sticking out just doesn't make any sense. And why wouldn't you want individual adjustment per string for intonation?

So in this regard I'm better of getting a new one. But you can't get rosewood. Maybe I'll just have to over look that and the smaller frets. I could always get work done on them to make them lower profile if I don't like the stock ones. I think sometimes if a set up is right, I don't really notice them being too big. But sometimes they just seem to bend just a hair. Or I could always go with .12's instead of .11's. That would be interesting, eh? I don't think I want to go that big on an electric, but I will have to say, I've never tried it, so......

You ever use flat strings on your acoustic bill?
Hmm, kind of sort of. I use flatwounds on my hollow body which is pretty darn close to an acoustic.

13s are about as big as anybody goes on an electric.

My Life.

Last edited by BillSPrestonEsq; 10-17-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Unread 10-17-2010, 08:25 PM   #198

All I know is I put .11's on that Starcaster Electric and I absolutely love it that way. Anything smaller seems too small to me.

I have .12's on my acoustic. I've never gone bigger when I've strung them. I think I've played a few with a little larger wire. But .12's seem pretty good to me. But I do want to try some flat wound sometime, because I hear you can maybe get less of that scratching noise when changing chords, and of course since you already know this, I think it could warm up my sound a little.
Unread 10-17-2010, 08:47 PM   #199
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
All I know is I put .11's on that Starcaster Electric and I absolutely love it that way. Anything smaller seems too small to me.

I have .12's on my acoustic. I've never gone bigger when I've strung them. I think I've played a few with a little larger wire. But .12's seem pretty good to me. But I do want to try some flat wound sometime, because I hear you can maybe get less of that scratching noise when changing chords, and of course since you already know this, I think it could warm up my sound a little.
I think you would like them from what you are saying.

My Life.
Unread 10-19-2010, 09:15 AM   #200

Thanks bill, I think I'm going to try some.

I went to music go round yesterday and there were a bunch of teles!

One I thought was odd was a neck through model with a countoured and cream bound body. 2 humbuckers with a little chrome toggle switch like a PRS, a dark clear finish so you can see the, I think, maple and a rosewood fret board and black tuners. It actually played pretty nice. I didn't plug it in though. But I didn't see any markings on it to know where it was made. No serial number on the headstock at least. And they only wanted $329 for it. I thought it would be worth more since it was a neck through.

The other intersting one was an American made that was Orange with an Orange headstock. Rosewood fretboard and everything else was status quo. That one was nice and they wanted $799. I just don't know if it was that much better than the mexi's I've played though.
Unread 10-19-2010, 09:49 AM   #201
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Thanks bill, I think I'm going to try some.

I went to music go round yesterday and there were a bunch of teles!

One I thought was odd was a neck through model with a countoured and cream bound body. 2 humbuckers with a little chrome toggle switch like a PRS, a dark clear finish so you can see the, I think, maple and a rosewood fret board and black tuners. It actually played pretty nice. I didn't plug it in though. But I didn't see any markings on it to know where it was made. No serial number on the headstock at least. And they only wanted $329 for it. I thought it would be worth more since it was a neck through.

The other intersting one was an American made that was Orange with an Orange headstock. Rosewood fretboard and everything else was status quo. That one was nice and they wanted $799. I just don't know if it was that much better than the mexi's I've played though.
This neckthrough model, it was fender, correct? The only Fender neckthroughs I have seen were from Korea and were really nice guitars.

My Life.
Unread 10-19-2010, 11:30 AM   #202

Yeah, it was genuine Fender. I just couldn't find a serial number on it anywhere. I thought it felt like it played nice. But now I'm more sold on the ole standard tele with single coils. hehehe. Maybe I should go back and plug it in. And that American Made Squier Strat is still sitting there asking for someone to bring him home. I'm pretty sure the electrics in that are decent. Those little barrs kind of stick up in the middle. And the neck is rosewood and feels really nice. That would probably be a nice guitar. I just don't think I want a strat. Even if I could move that middle pick up, I still don't think it's what I want. Why? I'm not really sure. I used to think I liked the body on it, but I think I like the tele body better when playing. And I've never been into trems.
Unread 10-19-2010, 11:37 AM   #203

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
On some of the Korean and Japanese models the serial number is down on the heel of the neck (by the neck joint) instead of on the headstock. If you're not looking for it there, you'll miss it completely.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 10-19-2010, 07:02 PM   #204

When I go back if it's still there, I'll have a look see. Thanks for the tip!!
Unread 11-01-2010, 07:12 PM   #205

So, it's been a while since I posted in here, but I'll do it again and see if someone wants to give me some input. Or just so I have a record.

So, I'm in the search for a tele. I played some today.

I went to a guitar store I used to buy a lot of stuff and their prices were fair. And they said they could do me better than what's shown. They had some interesting stuff. There were two models I really liked how they played, but I didn't like how they looked.

The ones I didn't like were interesting. I didn't like the Highway One, the frets just seem soooo large on them. The guy working there claims all of the models have the same frets, but the website says differently and I think he's just mistaken. He said it's the fact that it's not finished that they feel higher. Well, whatever. I still feel like there's a variance, even within standard models.

Now the first one I liked was a used, aaaah, I forget, oh yeah, road worn. It was the butterscotch or whatever with the black pickgaurd. It played nice. The vintage bridge, I didn't hate it but it feels different. I'm used to feeling all string when I mute and vintage saddle just sort of gets in the way of that. It doesn't stop you from muting, but it feels a little strange. I still worry about those bridge saddles, when they're not adjustable as much as a normal bridge. Or newer one I should say. But for some reason I love the vintage tuners. And the frets didn't seem huge on this one. But I just don't like how they take the finish off so heavily. I mean, can't that affect the finish down the road? If the finish is prestarted to wear off, it seems like it would more likely wear off quicker. Like on the fret board especially. Plus, it just seems poser-ish to me. But I like the way it played.

And then there was a Mexican I played that if it was any other color, would've really kept my interest. But it was a special run color of "Mint Green". And the headstock was even mint green also. I just didn't like the way it looked. And it was so cute, you could buy an Amp to match it. But that color just sort of.. Well, I was trying to think if I could live with it, and I don't think I could. Another pickgaurd probably wouldn't help either.

Those were the only two that jumped out at me. Then I had a little time and went and played a guitar that was listed on craigslist. It was just down the road from this store. It was 2 years old and needs a set up. The neck needs adjusting. The frets weren't bad, and it played fair, and I like the way it looked, but I don't know. He bought it from Guitar Center and it's just funny how these things work, because there was some gunk on one of the strings, and it's like, "were those the original strings?" Because the ones I played at Guitar Center almost always had gunk on them. Maybe they were original. This guy was pretty young also. Maybe 19 or something.

I really wish that store I used to go to would've had the 60's player guitar I really want. The thought keeps nagging me to just order one on line at Sweetwater. I think they have one, just like I want in stock. Rosewood neck with vintage frets. And oh yeah, Vintage frets I just love. I played a Mustang at this place and it had vintage frets, and I just like them. So, I feel like I should really find a guitar with vintage frets. I know there are a few current model teles that do have them. The 60's player model does. As does the 50's. And a few others I think.

I don't know if it's me, but I am just not seeing a HUGE difference in the mexican and american models. Maybe I'm crazy.
Unread 11-02-2010, 02:18 AM   #206
Your Ad Here

A lot of parts get moved between Fender's Mexican and US assembly points depending on demand and who's got what. A MIM guitar might have more US content than the MIA next to it in the store. I believe that can even include necks and bodies. My main guitar is a MIM Strat, for the other guitarist in my band it's a MIM Tele, and neither of us is hankering for anything 'better'.
Unread 11-02-2010, 08:08 AM   #207

Yeah, I hear you. Now my biggest stumbling block is I prefer the vintage frets, and now that I think about it, I've yet to see one in a store. And I was thinking about ordering one from sweetwater, but it shows that it's not in stock but "they can get it quickly because of their relationship with fender". Or something to that affect. That's what's listed on their website. And I'm still not convinced I want to order online. Although to me the mexis all seem very similar, there still are differences, and I'd rather play before paying.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I think I'm going to call some of the guitar stores in my area and see if they have the model I'm looking for.
Unread 11-03-2010, 11:54 AM   #208

A place somewhat near me has a candy apple red 60's classic in stock. I think I'm going to go play it Saturday. I'm not sure if I can live with that color. I already had it once. I'll have to see it in person. My wife really likes it though. She loves red. What is it with girls and red? If I really like the way it plays, I could probably live with that color. I like white the best though.
Unread 11-04-2010, 08:39 AM   #209

I woke up being haunted by the Mustang I played the other day at that store. I didn't mention that before. It was kind of weird to me how natural it felt to play chords on it. Which is why I previously was interested in the smaller scale. I knew there was a reason. I think I might have to go back and spend some time with it plugged in.

Would it be crazy to have a mustang as your only guitar? The thing I didn't like about it, is it had kind of a tinny sound to it unplugged. I don't need a tremolo either, and I think they're a waste in theory.

Another strange one that is kind of haunting me is a Road Worn Tele I played there. I actually liked it. But I'm so against what they do to them to make them look worn. But it played really nice.
Unread 11-04-2010, 09:43 AM   #210
Your Ad Here

Why not a Mustang? IMO it's not crazy to have ANY guitar as your only guitar so long as it's not obscenely expensive, it feels right in your hands, and you like the sound.

Regarding the Road Worn Tele, I don't altogether understand your objection.... the guitar has no feelings. Honest. This isn't a calf being treated cruelly to make the veal more tender..... :-)
Closed Thread