Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-01-2010, 03:29 PM   #76
Overlord of Kentls
 
Kentl's Avatar
 

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Mullet View Post
I'd pick the one that everyone else was using, because then I'd be able to communicate with them.

That is, standard notation.
two problems witht hat one


Rock bands do just fine with out stander music whets to stop any other band form doing it? :P you donít need a common language


2 your by your self parcting because your at home (which is what most peole do when theyt pratice



why cant you comunicate with tab

i can do it just fine

one of you pick rythem guitar
and ill pick lead or the other way around we will ahve the sogn down pat
or even a defreint insutment


dont need stand languaghe

__________________
i am forever his freind
i hope he can rest in peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by scared2mosh View Post
I honestly would have guessed the actual Kentl was mulletman and vice versa...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnstein View Post
Apparently, he gave you persistence by the truckload.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFK14 View Post
Ok, the fact you spelled that right proves it.
Kentl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-01-2010, 03:37 PM   #77
...
 
thesteve's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 30,142
Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentl View Post
two problems witht hat one


Rock bands do just fine with out stander music whets to stop any other band form doing it? :P you donít need a common language


2 your by your self parcting because your at home (which is what most peole do when theyt pratice



why cant you comunicate with tab

i can do it just fine

one of you pick rythem guitar
and ill pick lead or the other way around we will ahve the sogn down pat
or even a defreint insutment


dont need stand languaghe
You're comparing two different things here.

The people arguing against you (Jon, Drew, Ben...everyone else) is coming from this from the perspective of professional playing.

You're saying, "what's wrong with tab in the bedroom?" For most amateur guitarists, tab is fine, but if you're a studio musician or playing in some other professional capacity, then being able to read standard notation is a requirement of the work.

To say "rock bands do fine without standard..." isn't fair on multiple levels, the simplest being that most rock bands write their own music. Whether or not they learned it from sheet or tab is irrelevant because they wrote it to begin with.

The "different instrument" argument doesn't fly either. If you are going to play the lead guitar part and I'm going to play the violin part, what form of notation are we going to use? If we're going to use tab, how am I going to know what "line 3 number 13" means?
__________________
We've all got ideas. We are the music makers. We make money to buy things, and write down words.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline  
Unread 08-01-2010, 03:38 PM   #78
This Mortal Frame..
 
Demon_Hunter's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 9,376
Send a message via AIM to Demon_Hunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentl View Post
your just proving my point here

so in toher words

"real msucions dont use tabs"
sorry but thats the way you all come off

which back when you guys wherer learnign was said to be true but times are chaging

Real musicians play music. Professional musicians read standard notation and play music.

When I was just starting out I had 2 things. Tab, and standard notation. And when I started playing everyone who was just a level above me recomended tabs. It wasnt till I got older that I started to realize how I had handicapped myself.

Tab isnt really as useful of a tool as you make it out to be. Its a crutch. Thats all.



Quote:
all i said was i belive with in the future tabs will take over for reading music
and your just proving me more right and right by keeping on saying tab is useless will never be used
Tab wont take over for reading music.

The shear variety of musical instruments in the world negates that possibility. Not all instruments can have a tab for them.

Infact, i would go so far as to say that Standard Notation is as close as a tab as you can get for Tuned-Percussion instruments (piano being the major one in that category). So, for those instruments, standard notation will never stop being the standard. Its the only way to transcribe music for those instruments.



Quote:
becuse it proves that you guys where taguht tab was useless

back then maybe it was but with sites like songster its no loner are wrong most of them are right
just like reading music

Except those tabs are useless in a professional setting.

When I play in the choir at church Im handed a chord chart, with a melody transcribed in standard notation. From that I have to learn how to play my parts. My music minister is NEVER going to hand me a tab. When I say "never" I mean that there is no possibility that he will at any point in the future hand me a tab for guitar. He gives me sheet music, and I have to learn it.

And to be quite frank, tab is just a hinderance in that situation.



so with out any freak acdeints hands down

Quote:
if you could chooice form spending a good deal of time using stand notion
or songster tabs that ARE right

what whould you chocie and why?

As a college student, who is studying for a degree in Music Composition, and eventually Music Performance/Guitar, it is absolutely critical that I read music. If not just for the ability to get jobs in the music industry, just to be able to pass my music classes, I need to know standard notation, and how to apply it to my instrument (and piano).


Quote:
and dont say becuse tis the right way to do it
Its the most effective.

Quote:
and dont say becuse its the rgith way to learn
Its the most effective.

By the way, with your 2 caveats you commited a fallacy. You asked for an answer, and then tried to restrict possible answeres to those that fit your outlook. Fortuneately for me, I dont have to play that game, I play my own game.



Quote:
P.S how can anyone be right about an ophion? you cant so just so you know
im not saying im right your wrong im saying for me (and most pepiole i know it is eazyer)

Its easier for you because its all you know.

But what the rest of us are saying is that Standard Notation will not be replaced by Tab as the professional standard.

Maybe for garage bands, and guys sitting in their room jamming, tab will work, but for someone playing with other professionals, tab will NEVER be standardized.

Quote:
maybe you guys need to chiil it seems like you always take what i say as me sayign its "fact"

You stated as a thesis that tab would replace standard notation. You made an asertion, and claimed it as fact. You literally asked for the response that you got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentl View Post
two problems witht hat one


Rock bands do just fine with out stander music whets to stop any other band form doing it? :P you donít need a common language

Which rock bands?

I know some rock bands were all the members read standard notation.


Quote:
2 your by your self parcting because your at home (which is what most peole do when theyt pratice

why cant you comunicate with tab

i can do it just fine
I can garuntee that if you aproach a pianist with guitar tab he will look at you like you are speaking another language. Unless he is familiar with the instrument, you will in effect be speaking gibberish as far as he is concerned.





Quote:
dont need stand languaghe

Lets say you had a German, a Chinese, a Vietnamese, an Itallian, a Spaniard, a Mexican, a Frenchman, a Russian, and an Englishman all in the same room, and they all only spoke the language native to their home country. Now, you try to have a conversation with them.

I garuntee it wont get far.

Now, what if those same people all had something in common, what if they all were familiar with Latin (a large part of musical notation is Latin).

Now, all these people who speak different languages can unite around a single common language and have a meaningful conversation.

That is what Standard Notation is to music. Every instrument should be viewed as a different language to be spoken. But Standard Notation is the one thing they all have in common. With standard notation all of these instruments can be united around a single piece of music and perform it effectively as a unit.

Tab, being exclusive to strung/fretted instruments, doesnt share that universality.
__________________
"Behold the Man upon a cross, my sin upon His shoulders. Ashamed I hear my mocking voice, call out among the scoffers" - How Deep the Fathers Love for Us


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
It's indisputable, though, that it has absolutely nothing to do with either copulation or defecation.

Last edited by thesteve; 08-01-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Demon_Hunter is offline  
Unread 08-01-2010, 03:51 PM   #79
Overlord of Kentls
 
Kentl's Avatar
 

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Real musicians play music. Professional musicians read standard notation and play music.
i know pletly of pros that dont know how to read they do it all by ear you dont need to read to be pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
When I was just starting out I had 2 things. Tab, and standard notation. And when I started playing everyone who was just a level above me recomended tabs. It wasnt till I got older that I started to realize how I had handicapped myself.
when you started you did not have a place like songster and tabs where almsot laways wrong

Tab isnt really as useful of a tool as you make it out to be. Its a crutch. Thats all.







Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Except those tabs are useless in a professional setting.
expslin how

if i know how to play ode to joy whats to stop me form going up there and playing with a big bamd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
When I play in the choir at church Im handed a chord chart, with a melody transcribed in standard notation. From that I have to learn how to play my parts. My music minister is NEVER going to hand me a tab. When I say "never" I mean that there is no possibility that he will at any point in the future hand me a tab for guitar. He gives me sheet music, and I have to learn it.
like i said the older pepole belive
"real msucusiosn read music not tba"
they are stuck in the old ways









Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
As a college student, who is studying for a degree in Music Composition, and eventually Music Performance/Guitar, it is absolutely critical that I read music. If not just for the ability to get jobs in the music industry, just to be able to pass my music classes, I need to know standard notation, and how to apply it to my instrument (and piano).
when i leanrd devison and substaction they taught me one way
i did it an toher
(my way got the same anwser it was just defreint form the norm)
its no defreint form tabs and reading msuic



Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Its the most effective.



Its the most effective.
prove it with fact not ophion other wise we have nothign to gain by siting here debating it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
By the way, with your 2 caveats you commited a fallacy. You asked for an answer, and then tried to restrict possible answeres to those that fit your outlook. Fortuneately for me, I dont have to play that game, I play my own game.
if you had said its they was your soupose to do it

then you whold of [ropved my point that you belive
"real msucuions dont use tabs"

i was helping you out there
and you anwnserd the way i wanted and did play my game
what ever the heck that means





Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Its easier for you because its all you know.
wrogn i know how to read the E and B stirng very wel

and fi you gave me a choic i wold chocie tabsd evrey single time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
But what the rest of us are saying is that Standard Notation will not be replaced by Tab as the professional standard.
do you think those famous rock abnds know how to read msuic?
do you think the jonas brothers do? even if they do do they use it?
i admit i dont enoguhg about a band to tell you but i ganrite

you can be a pro just by using tabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Maybe for garage bands, and guys sitting in their room jamming, tab will work, but for someone playing with other professionals, tab will NEVER be standardized.
they are

go to a christin retreat
what where they using? tabs
my chruch
what dose the guitist use? tabs
can he read msuic? no
is he a pro? yes

in the 60's almsot evrey one used reaidng msuic now more and more are suing tabs




Quote:
You stated as a thesis that tab would replace standard notation. You made an asertion, and claimed it as fact. You literally asked for the response that you got.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
You're comparing two different things here.

The people arguing against you (Jon, Drew, Ben...everyone else) is coming from this from the perspective of professional playing.

You're saying, "what's wrong with tab in the bedroom?" For most amateur guitarists, tab is fine, but if you're a studio musician or playing in some other professional capacity, then being able to read standard notation is a requirement of the work.

To say "rock bands do fine without standard..." isn't fair on multiple levels, the simplest being that most rock bands write their own music. Whether or not they learned it from sheet or tab is irrelevant because they wrote it to begin with.

The "different instrument" argument doesn't fly either. If you are going to play the lead guitar part and I'm going to play the violin part, what form of notation are we going to use? If we're going to use tab, how am I going to know what "line 3 number 13" means?
what i eman is you can use what ever form to learn your part i will use guitar tabs and we can do it very eazy (depning on how hard the song is of course)
__________________
i am forever his freind
i hope he can rest in peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by scared2mosh View Post
I honestly would have guessed the actual Kentl was mulletman and vice versa...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnstein View Post
Apparently, he gave you persistence by the truckload.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFK14 View Post
Ok, the fact you spelled that right proves it.
Kentl is offline  
Unread 08-01-2010, 03:59 PM   #80
...
 
thesteve's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 30,142
Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentl View Post
do you think those famous rock abnds know how to read msuic?
do you think the jonas brothers do? even if they do do they use it?
i admit i dont enoguhg about a band to tell you but i ganrite
I would actually be surprised if the Jonas Brothers couldn't read music above at least minimally basic level.
Quote:
you can be a pro just by using tabs

they are

go to a christin retreat
what where they using? tabs
my chruch
what dose the guitist use? tabs
can he read msuic? no
is he a pro? yes
Once again we're talking about two different levels of "pro". When I play at church (and I play well enough that if I was at a mega church I could probably do it "professionally"), I make my own bass lines and just play off of the chord sheets. If I was thrown into a studio situation where I needed to play someone else's music note-for-note I'd get eaten alive.

This isn't to knock on your church guitarist or the musicians that you've seen at retreats, but that's a whole different kind of professional than what is being discussed here.

Quote:
what i eman is you can use what ever form to learn your part i will use guitar tabs and we can do it very eazy (depning on how hard the song is of course)
But if I'm the composer of the song why am I going to make music in multiple "languages" (so to speak) when I can just make all my music in one language (standard notation) and be done with it?
__________________
We've all got ideas. We are the music makers. We make money to buy things, and write down words.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline  
Unread 08-01-2010, 04:13 PM   #81
Okagesama de genki desu
 
metropolis4's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Aurora, Not just a place...
Posts: 2,570
You responded to a lot of what I said, but you didn't answer my main question. In that situation where I'm given a score in standard notation 5 minutes before I have to play it how does tab help me?

And once again, tab doesn't even exist for this music, neither do recordings, so I can't do it from ear. Standard notation is the only way to do it.

Did you have any luck finding the tab for the four songs I asked about?
__________________
Is bold the right word?
metropolis4 is offline  
Unread 08-01-2010, 04:30 PM   #82
My name is Oliver Queen.
 
Giga Hertz's Avatar
 

Joined: Oct 2007
Location: 127.0.0.1
Posts: 5,499
paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentl View Post
i know pletly of pros that dont know how to read they do it all by ear you dont need to read to be pro
No, but:
1. It helps.
2. Knowing musical theory helps being able to decide what works in a song.
3. You certainly do need to know if you want to play outside of (for argument's sake) a rock band (as outlined several times before)

Quote:
when you started you did not have a place like songster and tabs where almsot laways wrong
I don't see what you're basing this off.

Quote:
if i know how to play ode to joy whats to stop me form going up there and playing with a big bamd?
First of all, you most likely don't know what key you're playing in. How do you know how much you need to transpose it by so that you'll fit in with them?

Quote:
like i said the older pepole belive
"real msucusiosn read music not tba"
they are stuck in the old ways
Tell that to any of my friends in a school concert band (aka Non-guitarists). If I put tab in front of my friend (a piano player), which, first of all to arrange for piano would be tricky enough, she would choose standard notation, and then shoot me in the face (and she is quite proficient with a rifle) for even suggesting she use tab. She's not even 18 yet.

Quote:
when i leanrd devison and substaction they taught me one way
i did it an toher
(my way got the same anwser it was just defreint form the norm)
its no defreint form tabs and reading msuic
Depends on the idea of your maths. If you were taught long division and chose short (even so short as to use a calculator), that would not work if you were to study polynomials. You need long division to solve polynomials, just like you need sheet music to understand how things fit together.

Quote:
prove it with fact not ophion other wise we have nothign to gain by siting here debating it
Yes. Please prove your ideas with fact and not opinion. Opinion usually comes down to what you believe is "easier". Some people find it easier to speak German instead of English. Should German be the national language of America or Australia?

Quote:
then you whold of [ropved my point that you belive
"real msucuions dont use tabs"
Real musicians don't use either at a point. They just play the music. However, how they get there is another story.

Quote:
wrogn i know how to read the E and B stirng very wel
Um... can you explain what you mean by this?

Quote:
and fi you gave me a choic i wold chocie tabsd evrey single time
I think most of us arrived at this conclusion.

Quote:
do you think those famous rock abnds know how to read msuic?
do you think the jonas brothers do? even if they do do they use it?
i admit i dont enoguhg about a band to tell you but i ganrite
Yes. Matt Thiesson (Relient K) plays piano. He would know standard notation.

Quote:
you can be a pro just by using tabs

they are
Find us a concrete example.

Quote:
go to a christin retreat
what where they using? tabs
Depends who, what, why, where and how?

Quote:
my chruch
what dose the guitist use? tabs
can he read msuic? no
is he a pro? yes
My Church - my guitarist, just the other night corrected someone with the key signature (since she was using the first-chord-in-the-song trick). Did he learn that from tab? No. He learned it from standard notation.

Hillsong do not distribute their music in tabs. And it is much too difficult to convert to tab and/or work it out by ear.

Quote:
what i eman is you can use what ever form to learn your part i will use guitar tabs and we can do it very eazy (depning on how hard the song is of course)
Of course. But what we're saying is:
1. Tabs will not take over standard notation.
2. You can use tabs - fair enough. But don't expect to be able to do that if you rock up to a pro gig where they expect you to use standard notation because: you may not be able to find a tab online AND/OR they expect you to play it then and there. With NO time to find tab.
__________________
~ Josh

Bass - Yamaha TRBX 505
Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon
Guitar Amp - Fender Mustang IV V2
Bass Amp - Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800A
Gear - Line 6 Helix, POD HD500X, Zoom G9.2tt, Zoom B9.1ut, Boss DD-20

Warning: This journal may contain diary

But He was pierced for our transgressions
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
And by His wounds we are healed.
Giga Hertz is offline  
Unread 08-01-2010, 04:52 PM   #83
This Mortal Frame..
 
Demon_Hunter's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 9,376
Send a message via AIM to Demon_Hunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giga Hertz View Post

Um... can you explain what you mean by this?

He means he can only read notes on the highest 2 strings of his guitar, presumably in first position only.


Shawn, I believe that if you put in the hours, the days, the weeks, the months, and eventually the years, that you would see the benefit of reading standard notation.

Reading on the first 2 strings is one thing. Im talking about reading over the entire length and width of the guitar.
__________________
"Behold the Man upon a cross, my sin upon His shoulders. Ashamed I hear my mocking voice, call out among the scoffers" - How Deep the Fathers Love for Us


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
It's indisputable, though, that it has absolutely nothing to do with either copulation or defecation.
Demon_Hunter is offline  
Unread 08-01-2010, 05:30 PM   #84
recovering user
 

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentl View Post
i know pletly of pros that dont know how to read they do it all by ear you dont need to read to be pro
Name them.

The guitarist in your church doesn't count. I played bass and guitar for my church, about 5 months after I picked up the instruments. I was not a 'pro.' In order to play guitar for a small church, you only have to almost not suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentl View Post
prove it with fact not ophion other wise we have nothign to gain by siting here debating it
You first, bro.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentl View Post
do you think those famous rock abnds know how to read msuic?
do you think the jonas brothers do? even if they do do they use it?
Yes. I'd be extremely surprised if they didn't. Actually, I'd be surprised if the Jonas brothers wrote their own music, but that's a different topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Reading on the first 2 strings is one thing. Im talking about reading over the entire length and width of the guitar.
Right. And then, in your case, make the guitar longer and wider.





Here's another thing to consider. It's easier to 'read' standard notation. In order to read it, all you have to do while you move your eyes along the line is observe the location of the printing. In order to 'read' a tab, you have to first see the numbers, then decode what they mean, then put that into action. There's more mental work that goes into reading a line of numbers rather than a line of dots, once you've previously learned what the dots mean.

Dude. Shawn. Sometimes, your argument is just wrong. Debating you here is like trying to convince the 18-year olds on the motorcycle forums that buying a race-replica superbike is not a good idea for a first motorcycle. Of course, everyone is the exception to the rule.
mulletman is offline  
Unread 08-01-2010, 07:14 PM   #85
Overlord of Kentls
 
Kentl's Avatar
 

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
I would actually be surprised if the Jonas Brothers couldn't read music above at least minimally basic level.Once again we're talking about two different levels of "pro". When I play at church (and I play well enough that if I was at a mega church I could probably do it "professionally"), I make my own bass lines and just play off of the chord sheets. If I was thrown into a studio situation where I needed to play someone else's music note-for-note I'd get eaten alive.
so you really belive evrey big band can read muisc?

sorry but no

can i find proof? i dont even know where to start

can youy guys prove they can?

short of aksing them i dont see how

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
But if I'm the composer of the song why am I going to make music in multiple "languages" (so to speak) when I can just make all my music in one language (standard notation) and be done with it?
your not your going to know the song


but like you said if the band makes the song they dont need to read it

if your playing someone eles stuff you need to find some form be it in tab or stnanderd

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Mullet View Post
Name them.
there is almost no way to find out either way
but just like some big guitar guys only play by ear
its the same for tyab
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Mullet View Post
The guitarist in your church doesn't count. I played bass and guitar for my church, about 5 months after I picked up the instruments. I was not a 'pro.' In order to play guitar for a small church, you only have to almost not suck.
he has been playing 40+ yers

and regualy goes to prisons for worsip

he plays complelty by ear


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Mullet View Post
You first, bro.
with facts only here i go



reading msuic has five lines, the problem is is that the guitr has six strigns so they dont match up

however tab dose match up
so you dont have to think what is this? you instently know

you dont have to worry about what pstion to play it inj it tells you

you dont have to worrk about if you miss read it as much (after all its hard to get a 6 and 7 mixed up aposed to two lines with a dot in betwen

the power tab like plays and lets you play with it
geting you the eact time

it lets you know evreything reading music dose (except maybe key but what difrince dose that make really?)

those are just off the top of my head and not couting many other factors



Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Mullet View Post
Yes. I'd be extremely surprised if they didn't. Actually, I'd be surprised if the Jonas brothers wrote their own music, but that's a different topic.
but my point is there is a big band out there that dose not know how to read msuic

just like there are gutirist who make it big who know liltle to know theroy



Right. And then, in your case, make the guitar longer and wider.




Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Mullet View Post
Here's another thing to consider. It's easier to 'read' standard notation. In order to read it, all you have to do while you move your eyes along the line is observe the location of the printing. In order to 'read' a tab, you have to first see the numbers, then decode what they mean, then put that into action. There's more mental work that goes into reading a line of numbers rather than a line of dots, once you've previously learned what the dots mean.
im sorry but this si not true for evrey one


and i dont see how dots are more eazy then numbers

lets see E----3
------------------------
or ---------------p-----
------------------------
-------------------------
-------------------
yopu know the tab is e third freat you can do that real fast even with liltle to no pratice



readin music
its a D but thats beside the point

where do i put the D?
unless i have the music i cant tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Mullet View Post
Dude. Shawn. So metimes, your argument is just wrong. Debating you here is like trying to convince the 18-year olds on the motorcycle forums that buying a race-replica superbike is not a good idea for a first motorcycle. Of course, everyone is the exception to the rule.
how can an augment about an ophion be wrong?

my ophion is that i think tab is eazyer

the only fact is to me right now and many others tab is more eayz and beter (form them saying so)
even those who do know how to read say they prfer tabs its just a personl choice


when it comes down to it
tab is not more eazy and reaidng msuic is not more eazy

(tab just takes a lot less time to learn which is fact)
__________________
i am forever his freind
i hope he can rest in peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by scared2mosh View Post
I honestly would have guessed the actual Kentl was mulletman and vice versa...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnstein View Post
Apparently, he gave you persistence by the truckload.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFK14 View Post
Ok, the fact you spelled that right proves it.

Last edited by thesteve; 08-01-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Kentl is offline  
Unread 08-01-2010, 07:27 PM   #86
...
 
thesteve's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 30,142
Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentl View Post
so you really belive evrey big band can read muisc?

sorry but no

can i find proof? i dont even know where to start

can youy guys prove they can?

short of aksing them i dont see how
I never said every big band can read music. All I said was that I would be surprised if the Jonas Brothers couldn't read music. Maybe they can't read it quickly, but at least one or two of them can probably read it, if not all three.


Quote:
your not your going to know the song
Um...if I composed the song, why wouldn't I know it?
Quote:
he has been playing 40+ yers

and regualy goes to prisons for worsip

he plays complelty by ear
Just wondering...does he have a day job?
__________________
We've all got ideas. We are the music makers. We make money to buy things, and write down words.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline  
Unread 08-01-2010, 07:30 PM   #87
recovering user
 

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentl View Post
so you really belive evrey big band can read muisc?

sorry but no

can i find proof? i dont even know where to start

can youy guys prove they can?

short of aksing them i dont see how
Once again..... when having a debate.....

- If you make an assertion, you should be prepared to show how that assertion is fact.

- If you make an assertion, other people can claim that you are wrong, and ask for you to prove it. They do not have to provide evidence, but can request that you do.

- At this point, you have two options: Either provide the sources and citations necessary to show that your claim is, in fact, true.... Or concede that you were wrong.

- You don't get to say "My idea is fact! But I don't have to prove that, you have to prove how it isn't!"


By the way.... Yes, I do believe that pretty much every major musician can read music.
mulletman is offline  
Unread 08-01-2010, 07:36 PM   #88
Overlord of Kentls
 
Kentl's Avatar
 

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Mullet View Post
Once again..... when having a debate.....

- If you make an assertion, you should be prepared to show how that assertion is fact.

- If you make an assertion, other people can claim that you are wrong, and ask for you to prove it. They do not have to provide evidence, but can request that you do.

- At this point, you have two options: Either provide the sources and citations necessary to show that your claim is, in fact, true.... Or concede that you were wrong.

- You don't get to say "My idea is fact! But I don't have to prove that, you have to prove how it isn't!"


By the way.... Yes, I do believe that pretty much every major musician can read music.
1,agreed i asumed it would be a lot eayser to find

2. why? if i cant find it your saying i wrong find evrdince im wrong

i cant find evdince that your great grandfather marrid a gypise dose that mean he did not?
no
thats just plan dumb

3. see # 2

4. i said my ophion is that tab is beter a fact is i think its beter
dose not mean evrey one thinks its beter

its my ophion that demon hunter is an awsome band
its a fact i think they are

there is a defreints
__________________
i am forever his freind
i hope he can rest in peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by scared2mosh View Post
I honestly would have guessed the actual Kentl was mulletman and vice versa...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnstein View Post
Apparently, he gave you persistence by the truckload.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFK14 View Post
Ok, the fact you spelled that right proves it.
Kentl is offline  
Unread 08-01-2010, 07:37 PM   #89
recovering user
 

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentl View Post
reading msuic has five lines, the problem is is that the guitr has six strigns so they dont match up
lol. Seriously. Just.... lol.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentl View Post
you dont have to worrk about if you miss read it as much (after all its hard to get a 6 and 7 mixed up aposed to two lines with a dot in betwen
This argument is silly.

E---------12---------

Was that the 12th fret? Or frets 1 and 2 played in rapid succession?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentl View Post
it lets you know evreything reading music dose (except maybe key but what difrince dose that make really?)
Knowing the key is the difference between knowing what the heck you're playing, and not having a clue.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentl View Post
but my point is there is a big band out there that dose not know how to read msuic
Oh? And which band is that?
mulletman is offline  
Unread 08-01-2010, 07:38 PM   #90
Overlord of Kentls
 
Kentl's Avatar
 

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
I never said every big band can read music. All I said was that I would be surprised if the Jonas Brothers couldn't read music. Maybe they can't read it quickly, but at least one or two of them can probably read it, if not all three.


Um...if I composed the song, why wouldn't I know it?
Just wondering...does he have a day job?
i dont know
but he is pro (gets paid to play)


but you said all pros are supouse to read other wise they wont last long

it seems the big bands have



and about the song
you whold not need to have a stander msuic

since you know the song

there is no reasson for it
__________________
i am forever his freind
i hope he can rest in peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by scared2mosh View Post
I honestly would have guessed the actual Kentl was mulletman and vice versa...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnstein View Post
Apparently, he gave you persistence by the truckload.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFK14 View Post
Ok, the fact you spelled that right proves it.
Kentl is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:18 AM.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2