Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Christian > Testimonies & Sharing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-13-2010, 02:07 PM   #1

Rock and Roll saved my soul, in a roundabout way

I took classical (nylon string) guitar lessons as 9 year old.

When I got my first "real" job, I decided, "I'm gonna get a Stratocaster!" Here's the timeline for the rest of the story:

(1998) Guitar salesman, "If you want to play like Jimi Hendrix, you have to have a Stratocaster". So, dumb as a brick, I bought it.

(2000) I attend a church because my kids were getting older, and I didn't have any answers to life with which I was satisfied. A drummer asks if I want to be in a band. My eyes got REALLY big. He goes on to describe that his band plays for Kindergarten through 5th grade.

AH NUTS! "Well," I think to myself, "they may be 5 to 10 years old, but at least they'll be an audience clapping for me." Yes, as I look back, I could almost hear God laughing.

(2002) I realize that my bass player really loves God! I mean, he's not just talking about it because he's in a church. He LOVES Him. He's in the band for God! That's my turning point.

(current day) Been in a band with my two boys for four years (14 and 17 years old). We love the Lord. Musically and spiritually, life is good. The band has it's moments (we're having one as of this morning), but we serve and rock HARD for God. There is NO other band I'd rather be in (other than Kutless or Stellar Kart, but only if I could bring my boys).

Facebook: The Resistance Music

Got into music for the wrong reasons, and it brought me to the Lord. I'll never go back. Ever.

Last edited by mikegug; 07-13-2010 at 10:22 PM.
mikegug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-20-2010, 12:33 AM   #2
Banned

I read the title of this thread as "Rick Roll saved my soul" at first.

God is Never Gonna Give You Up, Never Gonna Let You Down, never gonna run around and desert you.

Much like Rick Astley.
ICTHUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 07:52 AM   #3

I think I was just Rick Rolled!
Unread 10-28-2010, 08:57 AM   #4

Way to go man! I'm a similar story. Man, if it weren't for my guitar playing, I'd of likely never come to know Christ. I was on the bus one day after just moving to a new school and I got talking to this kid and his sister about playing guitar and bass. He invited me to come to church with him sometime, and... here I am! You should read my tesimony. It's on that one other forum, the one that says it's a merge of all the posts on the testimonies section. I'm a proud owner of a Takamine Jasmine, Fender Stratocaster, Franciscan (acoustic), and a Luna (which is made by Dean).
K45T is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2010, 11:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by K45T View Post
Way to go man! I'm a similar story. Man, if it weren't for my guitar playing, I'd of likely never come to know Christ. I was on the bus one day after just moving to a new school and I got talking to this kid and his sister about playing guitar and bass. He invited me to come to church with him sometime, and... here I am! You should read my tesimony. It's on that one other forum, the one that says it's a merge of all the posts on the testimonies section. I'm a proud owner of a Takamine Jasmine, Fender Stratocaster, Franciscan (acoustic), and a Luna (which is made by Dean).
VERY COOL!

Yeah, God used my pride as step one to bring me to Him.

I'll have to look up your story.

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdOgE5k1X0w

Our Ivy League schools teach that morality is relative. And then when the graduates practice on Wall Street what we teach them in class, we put them behind bars. - (Ravi Zacharias paraphrased)

Born to die. Born again to live.

In the quest for historically accurate musings of great men, no creation has bestowed more frustration upon its creator than the internet. – Thomas Jefferson (1877)
Unread 10-29-2010, 09:17 AM   #6

I posted it under one of the "testimonies" forums.

(does anyone know anything about fixing intonation on a Luna tune-o-matic bridge???)
Unread 11-03-2010, 01:46 PM   #7

Same story here, y'all and, Mikegug, I like the chrono time line you laid out so I'm gonna steal it...

(1981) Started band playing sax.

(1984) Gave my life to Christ

(1987) Graduated High School. Joint the Marine Corps

(1987-2006) Lived a life of sin, turning my back on Him and did my own thing.

(2005) Picked up my first guitar, a $200 Ibanez acoustic.

(2005-2007) Yep, still living in sin. Picked up a G&L Legacy Deluxe, Marshall amp, Black Box, etc and began studying Blues, Rock, Jazz... eh, whatever I felt like playing at the time.

(2007) Went to church for the first time in nearly two decades. The Lord was always there although I didn't listen. I turned my life back over to him. He, in turn, called me to merge my two loves and passions; God and music. I started playing in my first Praise Band strumming out basic chords, fumbling around the fretboard and the like.

(2008) Moved to another church, praise band, etc...

(2010) Third church that I now call home. I am playing lead guitar, bass when needed 'cause we don't have a bass player yet, EWI on some songs. I am so steeped in the love of the Lord and music, we are beginning to compose our own music, recording tracks, mixing, mastering and actually putting together a CD for distribution. Honestly, I wasted 20 years without Him.

Yes, sir. Rock 'n Roll indeed saved my soul!!
menahuni2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2010, 03:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by menahuni2600 View Post
Same story here, y'all and, Mikegug, I like the chrono time line you laid out so I'm gonna steal it...

(2005-2007) Yep, still living in sin. Picked up a G&L Legacy Deluxe, Marshall amp, Black Box, etc and began studying Blues, Rock, Jazz... eh, whatever I felt like playing at the time.

(2007) Went to church for the first time in nearly two decades. The Lord was always there although I didn't listen. I turned my life back over to him. He, in turn, called me to merge my two loves and passions; God and music. I started playing in my first Praise Band strumming out basic chords, fumbling around the fretboard and the like.

(2010) Third church that I now call home. I am playing lead guitar, bass when needed 'cause we don't have a bass player yet, EWI on some songs. I am so steeped in the love of the Lord and music, we are beginning to compose our own music, recording tracks, mixing, mastering and actually putting together a CD for distribution. Honestly, I wasted 20 years without Him.

That's awesome!

You know, this great! I love that I'm not the only one. Fellowship rocks!

Our Ivy League schools teach that morality is relative. And then when the graduates practice on Wall Street what we teach them in class, we put them behind bars. - (Ravi Zacharias paraphrased)

In the quest for historically accurate musings of great men, no creation has bestowed more frustration upon its creator than the internet. – Thomas Jefferson (1877)
Unread 11-11-2010, 01:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by menahuni2600 View Post

This is awesome. How long were you in the Marines?
And would you say this was a factor?
Unread 11-11-2010, 01:47 PM   #10

I ask because I'm a Freshman in High School and have made my mind up to join the Marine Corps when I graduate.
Unread 11-12-2010, 10:46 AM   #11

My brother is a Marine. It's a very unique calling. He made up his mind as a senior. He flew F-18's and now flys for USAF Reserve and sells financial products. He never considered flying until the last minute. Very interesting stories, for sure.

Unread 11-12-2010, 02:18 PM   #12

Yeah. I'm a little weary, though. The exercises are likely to kill me, the push-ups and all. And three months without picking up my Strat is going to cause a lot of heart ache, but that doesn't scare me as much as the possibility of messing up and making myself look stupid in front of the D.I.s. I trust the Lord to help me get through, though. I don't think I'll have fulfilled my purpose without having served; I feel like I have to. I feel like that's where God is leading me. And I don't think he wants me to just go in for two years just for the benefits. I think he wants me to work as hard as I can without worrying about how it will benefit me. Like it'll teach me something. The Marine Corps is the perfect place for that.
Unread 11-12-2010, 02:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by K45T View Post
Yeah. I'm a little weary, though. The exercises are likely to kill me, the push-ups and all. And three months without picking up my Strat is going to cause a lot of heart ache, but that doesn't scare me as much as the possibility of messing up and making myself look stupid in front of the D.I.s. I trust the Lord to help me get through, though. I don't think I'll have fulfilled my purpose without having served; I feel like I have to. I feel like that's where God is leading me. And I don't think he wants me to just go in for two years just for the benefits. I think he wants me to work as hard as I can without worrying about how it will benefit me. Like it'll teach me something. The Marine Corps is the perfect place for that.
Very cool. God bless you for doing His will and what a cool place to do it.

Unread 11-29-2010, 01:17 PM   #14

Thanks, Mike.
Unread 12-13-2011, 01:07 AM   #15

Very cool guys. And like you all~God has used Music to move my life in a position to praise his holy name. Been playing the drums since I was 5. Picked up my first guitar 7 years ago, but it wasn't until I was on the road to, I admit, my salvation; that I learned how to sing and play at the same time. I didn't know the Lord until then. But God is good, just, and faithful in his promises. He brought me forth, out of sin that I was entangled in for so many years. Man it was a swamp! Crazy. Yeah check out my testimony.
Anyway, thanks for you testimony Brothers Mike, Menahuni2600, and K45T.
Grace to you and your families~Peace~Adam
lordspoet is offline   Reply With Quote